With the official start of the Yankees 2007 season just around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to list some critical Yankees-success-related questions that could be answered at some point this season. Here they are:
1. Which body part will break-down on Jason Giambi this season – causing him to be a non-factor with the bat for a month or more? A knee? A wrist? An internal gland? Something else?
2. Which member of the bullpen will Torre use 35+ times before the All-Star break, frying the guy’s arm in the process?
3. Will at least three members of the Yankees starting rotation make 30+ starts this season?
4. Can Carl Pavano give the Yankees more than 140 IP this year?
6. How many back-up catchers will the Yankees go through this season to find one who can bat over .200?
8. Is it possible that Joe Torre does not manage the full season?
10. How many times will the Yankees roster construction come back to haunt them? Which will happen more often: Miggy Cairo playing in the outfield or New York losing it’s D.H. spot in the line-up (to the pitcher) because the D.H. had to come into the game as a fielder?
It will be interesting, come October, to look back at these questions and see if any of them became applicable. At this junction, I would offer that at least half of them do apply to the Yankees situation this season.