• Josh Be Careful When Looking At The Spring Stats

Posted by on March 27th, 2007 · Comments (7)

I know that Josh Phelps went deep again today – and is having a fine spring for the Yankees. He’s batting .438 so far with 3 taters to his credit. But, as I warned the other day, the Yankees need to be careful with making the call on him – if they’re going to do it based on his spring numbers.

Last spring, Mitch Jones hit .308 for the Yankees with 4 homers – and we know how well he did in 2006.

Sometimes big feet just mean big feet. And, sometimes spring stats are just spring stats.

If there’s someone else who becomes available in the final days of Spring Training, the Yankees should not dismiss that player just because of the way Phelps has been hitting. It does make more sense to take Phelps’ spot on the roster and fill it with someone who can play more than one position in the field – assuming he’s not Enrique-Wilson-like with the bat.

Comments on Josh Be Careful When Looking At The Spring Stats

1. Andrew
      March 27th, 2007 | 5:54 pm

The difference with Phelps is that he’s had success in the majors before. His rookie campaign in 2002 was great, his follow up year wasn’t as great but he didn’t disappear, and then my favorite season of his, in 2004, is when he had this line against lefties:

.309 .358 .618 .976

in 165 (therefore not a small sample size) plate appearances. We need a righty power bat with Sheffield gone, and I think Phelps could be that guy. He certainly has a much better shot than Mitch Jones, anyway.

2. redbug
      March 27th, 2007 | 5:59 pm

Pete Abraham wrote that it may be time for Phillips to get a sore knee or back.

3. March 27th, 2007 | 6:51 pm

1) 165 plate appearance is definitely a small sample size.

2) I don’t know who, if anyone, will be available later this week. But as it stands, taking Phelps over Phillips is a no-brainer.

4. March 27th, 2007 | 8:02 pm

Phelps over Phillips? Yes, no question – go with Josh.

FWIW, I think Josh could hit .260, with some power, albeit with a lot of Ks, if you gave him the 1B job. It’s just that I don’t think he’s gonna be better than an average bat, at best.

5. j
      March 27th, 2007 | 8:58 pm

Todd Walker was recently released from the Pad’s. Might be an option.

6. antone
      March 28th, 2007 | 8:36 am

J – that’s a joke right? Todd Walker? you can’t be serious…

I still think they should can Mientkiewicz, he’s an automatic out at this point. If Phelps can field the position adequately then I say keep him and dump Mientkiewicz.

March 28th, 2007 | 1:40 pm

J – that’s a joke right? Todd Walker? you can’t be serious…
      ================