• April 7th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on April 7th, 2007 · Comments (11)

You missed the greatest game…ever!

We took our kids, ages three and five, to go see “Elmo’s Coloring Book” (at the State Theatre) today. We left the house at half-past-noon for the two o’clock show. The kids had a great time – so, we did as well. By the time the show was over, and we got back to our car and were on the road, it was sometime between three-thirty and four. At that point, I turned on the radio to catch a score in the Yankees game. It was 7-6, O’s, in the 8th, with Damon up, when I switched to the game. I had no idea what had happened, at all, up to that point. The minute I heard that the Yanks were losing, I thought to myself “I can’t witness another loss” and I put on some music for the kids.

We stopped on the way home to get some dinner out. It was around six-thirty when we finally got home. By now, my hay fever was starting to really catch up to me and I was starting to get severely cranky from fatigue and that feeling of sinus pressure and burning eyes. Still, life goes on. We started to unpack the kids stuff from our trip today and I called my folks to confirm our plans for the holiday tomorrow.

When I got my dad on the phone, he asked “Did you catch any of the game?” I told him that I just walked in, and, other than knowing for a second that they were losing late, I had not seen or heard anything. Then, he told me: “Well, they played like crap. Forget Igawa. They should send him back on the first boat back to Japan. But, Giambi hit a three-run homer in the eighth to make the score 7-6…and then A-Rod hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th to win it, 10-7!”

As soon as he said that, it felt like that scene from “Fever Pitch” where the lead character is told by his friend on the phone: You missed the greatest game…ever!

Of course, that punch-to-the-gut feeling for me was probably just a product of having a long day out, driving in traffic, and my hay-fever-induced short-fuse. But, even though we had a great time with the kids today, I was (kind of) kicking myself at that moment for being completely outside of this game. I know, it’s stupid – because, yes, it was a very good comeback win, but, really, I’ve seen bigger comebacks in person (and many others like this one on television). And, in reality, this was not the “greatest game ever” that I missed.

In any event, I’m thrilled that the Yankees won this game. And, it’s a relief to see A-Rod deliver the big blow in a spot that’s as clutch as can be – - that’s awesome. Two months ago, I said that Alex was always clutch, in late and close spots, except for last season. It’s nice to see that perhaps this season will not be a repeat of last year for him. Of course, last May, it looked like A-Rod was going to put together back-to-back MVP seasons for the Yankees. This is why I’m going to wait a bit, now, before saying (for sure) that this homer is the one that takes the 2006 “pressing” monkey off Alex’s back.

Here’s hoping that A-Rod has a bunch more moments this season like the one he had today. The way the Yankees starters have looked so far, he may have lots of chances to make this happen. And, dad’s going to need a bigger boat.

Comments on April 7th vs. The Orioles

1. baileywalk
      April 7th, 2007 | 8:55 pm

1) You watched “Fever Pitch”? Good Lord, why?

2) “It was 7-6, O’s, in the 8th, with Damon up, when I switched to the game. I had no idea what had happened, at all, up to that point. The minute I heard that the Yanks were losing, I thought to myself ‘I can’t witness another loss’ and I put on some music for the kids.”

This is kind of extraordinary, Steve. We’re only four games into the season, but you already felt such despair that you couldn’t “witness another loss”? And you were that sure that the team would lose a one-run game against Baltimore that you abandoned the game? I would think you’d have a little more faith in this team.

2. April 7th, 2007 | 8:59 pm

Fever Pitch? Hey, I was asked to review it. So, I did. And, it was a fun movie. It could have been much worse on the Yankees, but, it wasn’t.

~~~We’re only four games into the season, but you already felt such despair that you couldn’t “witness another loss”? And you were that sure that the team would lose a one-run game against Baltimore that you abandoned the game? I would think you’d have a little more faith in this team.~~

Yup, yup, and nope.

3. Jen
      April 7th, 2007 | 10:58 pm

Didn’t they win a bunch of games on Saturday or Sunday last year when you were off doing something else? Maybe you should abstain from the Yankees on the weekend more often :-)

4. brockdc
      April 8th, 2007 | 2:36 am

Believe me, Steve, when I say that this was not a great game, by any means. If you don’t believe me, just check the game thread over on The Banter – some guys were actually rambling on about SEC spring football in the middle of the thread…and I was LIKING it.

The Yankees were flat, boring and old for the first seven innings. Cy Trachsel owned them until the seventh; and Igawa looked like a AAAA pitcher, with a straight-as-an-arrow BP fastball and horrendous control of his secondary pitches. The bullpen saved his butt – they were flawless.

Obviously, it was instantly gratifying to see A-Rod’s majestic jack – and to see the sheer joy on his face along with the jubilant comraderie of his teammates. But don’t beat yourself up, because you will see FAR better games this season.

5. kallardnyc
      April 8th, 2007 | 8:08 am

Steve,

I took my wife and 2 sons to see Elmo’s Coloring Book on Wed night just past, at 7:00, in the State Theater. I choose this night for a reason, it was a day game. OK it was rained out, but it was still proper planning. Well I am off to the Stadium in a bit. I wonder what the Easter crowd will be like. Steve, what 9 games do you have?

Jersey Devil

6. April 8th, 2007 | 8:11 am

Thanks brockdc. I did tape the game yesterday – knowing that I would miss it. I watched the 8th and 9th innings last night after I made this game entry. And, I think I can see what you mean. Even on the HR in the 8th, it wasn’t like the place was going insane. Maybe the fans were put to sleep by then?

7. JJay
      April 8th, 2007 | 8:45 am

— 1) You watched “Fever Pitch”? Good Lord, why? —

LOL… I was thinking the same thing bailey. I REFUSE to watch that movie. With Jimmy Fallon as the lead man this movie would’ve sucked if it was directed by Scorsese and centered around the Yankees.

I couldn’t watch the game as hard as I tried to. It wasn’t on MLB Extra Innings so I followed on Gameday. I nearly gave my girlfriend a heart attack when I cheered reading that ARod went yard to win it.

He’s on pace to drive in 365 runs. ;)

8. Garcia
      April 8th, 2007 | 9:54 am

I was at a rib joint in Harlem and I was pissed that while I was eating dinner I seemed to be the only Yankee fan who cared about the outcome or who was paying attention. When ARod hit his homer, I felt the people I was with and myself seemed like the only people who cared there about the Yanks.

Man….my dinner went down so good, my day was so much better, everything was great yesterday and the ribs were awesome. Let’s go get’em today….GO YANKS!!!!!

9. Jen
      April 8th, 2007 | 10:24 am

//Actually, Jen, IIRC, they lost almost every time I went to a minor league game, etc., on the W/E’s…bad ones too.//

Oops. Yeah, my memory ain’t so good these days.

10. April 8th, 2007 | 10:54 am

kallardnyc – my kids are usually in bed by 7:30, 8 pm, at the latest. Night shows are not an option for me.

As far as the Yanks, I hope to make at least one game, in person, per month. My first this year will be 4/29.

11. nokidding
      April 10th, 2007 | 1:10 pm

Time to change the name of your blog to wasntwatching.com. Change your tagline, too. Anybody who turns off a one-run game in bottom of the eighth inning is no “Yankeeland zealot.”