• April 11th @ The Twins

Posted by on April 11th, 2007 · Comments (9)

Diogenes Ramon Ortiz y Ortiz?

Yeah, Ramon Ortiz. Must be something about guys named Ortiz that the Yankees just can’t figure out.

You know, it was just about a year ago that I suggested “Everyday Scottie Proctor” to the world. Only seems fitting today that I suggest that we start using “El Diario Vizcaino” for Luis Vizcaino too.

Now, Mussina has a hammy too (like Wang and Godzilla)? Jeff Mangold must be having a great last laugh.

The Yankees are catching a nice break with an off-day tomorrow. So, not all of today’s news is bad, I suppose.

Comments on April 11th @ The Twins

1. baileywalk
      April 11th, 2007 | 11:58 pm

To quote Christopher Moore:

“Well, that sucked.”

Now Moose is hurt. If there’s any silver lining to that, it’s that Wang should be back in two weeks. But that still means that Rasner (or Karstens) will be making starts in this rotation in place of one of the big three (Wang/Moose/Andy).

It also means, with Karstens still a bit away, that Ohlendorf or Clippard might get a start.

I just hope Mussina isn’t too badly hurt. Having him miss time this early in the season sounds like it could totally throw him off his game.

Farnsworth was just horrendous tonight. He had no command whatsoever. It’s so weird how sometimes he comes in and has NOTHING. I’m not blaming Torre or anything, but I was surprised he left him in as long as he did. He had no velocity and no command and they were just teeing off on him. Just when you think this guy is comfortable and back to his ’05 form, he puts up a terrible performance like this.

2. MJ
      April 12th, 2007 | 8:47 am

Having driven out from NYC to Scranton to see Ohlendorf last Saturday, I can say that he’s not ready for the show yet. Granted, it was cold and there was a bit of snow falling, but he just had no command of his pitches and couldn’t locate a thing. He got bailed out by Kevin Thompson and Bronson Sardinha on more than a few occasions.

As for Farnsworth, Bailey, I can’t warm to this guy. He’s really given us a lot less than Tom Gordon (the guy he is supposedly replacing). Gordon stank in the playoffs, yes, but Farns just can’t find any consistency. I’m not saying we should dump him – the team needs him – but it’s a shame that Henn’s good work was totally undone by a guy making 10 times as much and delivering a lot less.

3. rbj
      April 12th, 2007 | 8:49 am

Not gonna worry about it -except for Moose’s hammy. Ortiz just looked real good last night.

4. Garcia
      April 12th, 2007 | 8:52 am

I agree, it was a terrible performance by Farnsworth. I thought he was going to be a big-time pitcher for us after he struck out Baldelli on opening day with that devastating sinker. I thought he’d have off-days, everyone does, but I didn’t think they’d be as bad as yesterday.

Looks like Mussina isn’t hurt all that badly. One thing the Yanks can do is make the DL stint retroactive if they just have him skip a start. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens. At least the Yanks took the series and hopefully they continue to play well versus the A’s. I’m not all that mad…..I guess the ugly cold rain in NY is more depressing.

I hate injuries…..I hope this isn’t a constant problem all year.

BTW, do you feel the Yanks always put up good at-bats against Nathan? In a really close game, the Twins will have problems when Nathan faces the Yanks. I like the Yanks chances against him. Am I the only who feels this way?

5. Garcia
      April 12th, 2007 | 8:54 am

rbj, an often overlooked point. Ortiz did look good….almost too good to be true. He must have sold something to the devil on his to Minn.

6. MJ
      April 12th, 2007 | 8:59 am

I agree that Garcia looked good but I didn’t like the Yanks approach to him in the middle innings. Lots of 1-2 pitch outs with Jeter, Abreu, Giambi. When you figure that the Twins ‘pen was overused on Monday and Tuesday, I think the Yanks could’ve been more patient with Ortiz and taken a thrid crack at the setup guys.

7. MJ
      April 12th, 2007 | 9:13 am

~~~~~I agree that Garcia looked good~~~~~

Sorry, that was supposed to be Ortiz. I was responding to Garcia’s comment.

8. rbj
      April 12th, 2007 | 9:30 am

The Twins broadcasters were making much of the fact that Ortiz was pitching in to A-Rod, so he wasn’t able to extend his arms. As for Farnsworth, eh, I think he’ll come around, he’ll just need some work in blowouts.

9. singledd
      April 12th, 2007 | 10:43 am

Injuries are a fact of life, but I believe things like ‘strains’ and ‘pulls’ could be minimized.

Guys like to pump iron and develop strength. Chicks dig the long ball, and being ‘stronger’ feels ready good.

But what we really need, especially with an older team, is ‘flexibility’. It’s great to stretch before a game, but its not enough. Disiplines that work on balance and flexibility need to be instituted. Remember when Casey sent Moose Skaron to ballet classes? Funny, but very smart. These guys might wear tights, but they are strong, coordinated and in great shape.

I, for one, would like to see a serious Yoga program instituted. This would be great for both mind and body. There are also oriental arts that could be very good for improving balance and flexibility.

Our guys ‘strain’ something bending over, while a practiced ‘Yogi’ can clean his ear with his big toe. Its hard to ‘stain’ a rubber band.

We need to ‘Flex Up’, not pump up.