• April 17th vs. The Indians

Posted by on April 17th, 2007 · Comments (12)

A nice “bend, but, don’t break” performance from Chase Wright. I think I saw a little Ed Figueroa mixed with some Kenny Rogers in Wright, tonight. And, I mean all the good things that Figgy and Rogers provided.

So, what will Chase Wright be? Kevin Mmahat or Ted Lilly? Ed Yarnall or Andy Pettitte? Randy Keisler or Doug Drabek? Sam Militello or Dave Righetti? For one night, who cares? He helped the team win today – when they really needed help. That’s all that really matters now.

Sign of how old I am: I was probably more pumped this evening watching Wright’s dad in the stands, reacting to his son, than I was just watching Wright pitch.

In the radio pre-game, Suzyn Waldman was asking Sean Henn about Wright – since they’ve known each other for eight years or so and have the same agent. Henn said that he was probably more nervous than Wright today – since Wright was sleeping on a couch in the clubhouse at the same time Henn was being questioned by Waldman.

I would bet that no one was more nervous than Wright’s father tonight. It was sweet to see his dream come true this evening along with Chase’s dream.

Lastly, this guy the Yankees have playing third this season – he looks really good. Anyone know anything about him?

Comments on April 17th vs. The Indians

1. brockdc
      April 18th, 2007 | 1:14 am

The one thing that impressed me most about Wright was his poise, wiggling out of a couple of jams tonight with all the emotion of an NPR reporter. Steady, poised, and focused. It was fun to watch.

On a more worrisome note, it seems that the velocity for almost all of last year’s bullpen stalwarts are down about 4 mph across the board. Bruney’s throwing around 92-93, Proctor’s at about 92, and Farns is hitting about 93-94. I wonder if this is a function of weather, overuse, disparities in gun calibrations, or a combination of the three.

2. rbj
      April 18th, 2007 | 8:12 am

brockdc, from Cliff over at Bronx Banter, it appears the Stadium gun adds 4 mph over what the YES gun shows. That could be it.

And I think the thirdbaseman used to play for the Mariners — Yanks should sign him long term, no?

3. MJ
      April 18th, 2007 | 8:43 am

First, a note to Steve: The reason I love WasWatching is because of things like “I think I saw a little Ed Figueroa…” My first baseball card was a Topps 1979 Ed Figueroa. At that age, I didn’t know who he was but I knew that my dad liked the team he played for so I figured I’d keep all the cards with “Yankees” on the bottom on the good side of the shoebox.

Now a note on the game: Wright was decent and gave the team everything you could’ve asked of a kid just up from Double-A. Although I’m sure that part of all the swinging-and-missing on the part of the Indians was unfamiliarity with Wright’s stuff, I will say that he produced a good number of off-balance swings which is the mark of a good changeup.

I also found it amusing that Jeter made a great play in the 3rd inning on a ball far to his left but, two innings later, couldn’t make a play that was a lot closer to him that let a single trickle through for the Indians’ third run. I’m nitpicking but, gosh, Jeter’s defensive range isn’t so much deficient as it is inconsistent.

4. Garcia
      April 18th, 2007 | 8:47 am

MJ – I think the 2nd single was hit a lot harder than the other, no?

5. MJ
      April 18th, 2007 | 9:02 am

Garcia – Maybe so, I can’t say I remember exactly. Like I said, I’m nitpicking. At least he didn’t sail a throw into the stands like Josh Barfield did!

6. adam
      April 18th, 2007 | 9:27 am

7. April 18th, 2007 | 10:07 am

~~~it must hurt a little to see alex dominate so thouroughly after the winter of discontent.~~~

Hurt? Not to me. I’m a Yankees fan – and I love it when Yankees do well. It will only hurt if A-Rod tanks in May (now) – - like he did last June after he was Player of the Month in the AL the month before (in May ’06).

8. MJ
      April 18th, 2007 | 10:07 am

Adam – I assume that’s meant sarcastically?

As much as DJ might not be best friends with ARod, I can’t imagine anyone on the team isn’t thrilled with how well Alex is playing right now. The better he plays, the less crap everyone has to hear about it.

9. April 18th, 2007 | 10:12 am

~~~The reason I love WasWatching is because of things like “I think I saw a little Ed Figueroa…” ~~~

If only Chase was wearing 31 instead of 38, then I would have seen more of Figgy! {wink}

10. baileywalk
      April 18th, 2007 | 10:54 am

—-

I was shocked that Burney was even in the game last night with such a big lead. When the Yankees have that kind of lead, Torre should stick to using his lesser relievers — in this case Myers, Britton and Henn (who actually has been great). Burney has done some heavy lifting for this ‘pen this year, and they exhausted him to the point where he was throwing 90 in Oakland. Why send him right back out there? At one point, Vizcaino was warming up, too.

Torre never trusts the fact that anyone can hold a five-run lead. I just hope under no circumstances does Bruney pitch tonight.

Chase Wright wasn’t dominating last night, but to think that he’s only had two starts above High-A is amazing. The great thing about this is how much it legitimizes Wright as a prospect. Those numbers in High-A were great, but he was 23 years old, which makes them suspect. A big-league win on his resume means a lot.

11. Pete
      April 18th, 2007 | 12:35 pm

Anyone else catch Pettite’s talking to Wright after the first few innings? Just made me smile to see someone I watched break in now assuming the role of mentor.

IMO re-signing Andy will not only potentially give us 13-14 wins but provide a much more valuable bridge to the future. More so than Mussina or a Clemens, because Andy knows what it’s like to come up as a Yankee as well…

12. Santino53
      April 18th, 2007 | 1:04 pm

Chase did a workmanlike job. To compete with the Sox in Fenway though he will have to throw his fastball for early strikes much better than last night. It’s a great changeup but it needs to work off the fastball. I like his composure.
      Mike Meyers shows much greater value with his ability to get righthanders out.