• April 19th vs. The Indians

Posted by on April 19th, 2007 · Comments (15)

I swear, I started writing this entry during the bottom of the 9th today, after Phelps’ HR with 2-outs….and it started like this:

El Diario Vizcaino,” he, he not so good today, amigo.

But, on the flip side, it was not as if the Yankees bats were exactly “En fuego!” either today. One Han Solo by Giambi, another late by “The ESB” – with an Abreu RBI-single on top. Dat’s it.

Now, the seven-and-seven Yanks head to Beantown for three at the Fens. I’ll be happy with one win this weekend – and thrilled if they can get two….

Then, Posada singled. And, Damon walked. That was followed by singles from Jeter and Abreu…leading to…Alex Rodriguez.

Oh, my, god, what a finish!

I said it four days ago, and, I’ll say it again. Alex Rodriguez has turned into Roy Hobbs. It’s incredible. What a story this has become…it’s hard for me to even type this, as my hands are shaking. Really, they’re shaking.

What a moment. I’m pretty speechless at this point. If I can get my composure, I’ll add more to this in the comments section later. I gotta go find someone to high-five now and get this out of my system.

Comments on April 19th vs. The Indians

1. Garcia
      April 19th, 2007 | 5:05 pm

TELL ME ABOUT IT, STEVE!!!! I was screaming my ass off here!!!!!

BOSTON HERE WE FUCKING COME!!!!!!

BTW, what did the Yanks do the last they were in Boston? I can’t remember!!!!

2. MJ
      April 19th, 2007 | 5:11 pm

We just gotta hope that Pettitte can save the bullpen since there’s no way that Karstens/Wright will be able to give us more than 5IP each. Our bullpen is being taxed at an alarming rate right now…

3. rmd0311
      April 19th, 2007 | 5:22 pm

God bless SlingBox…
      Seating at work., watching the game on my laptop. I yelled so loud I think both floors heard me. I’m done for the day, gonna have to go home. Too excited to work.

4. zgveritas
      April 19th, 2007 | 6:01 pm

Now let’s see if A-Rod can keep this up in a genuine “pressure” series. Hope so.

5. April 19th, 2007 | 6:25 pm

Jeeezzzussss….

If A-rod only hits 1-2 homers this next series he may just make me like him again :-p

6. rbj
      April 19th, 2007 | 7:04 pm

I can’t understand why the Yankees didn’t take Steve Philips advice and trade A-Rod in the off season. He obviously can’t handle the pressure of playing in New York. I’d go so far as to say the Yanks should have fired Brian Cashman and hired Philips — he’s obviously a smart GM.

7. April 19th, 2007 | 7:22 pm

zgveritas:

You’re right. Wins against the Red Sox do count as three wins in the standings, after all.

…Some fans will just never be convinced…

8. April 19th, 2007 | 7:50 pm

~~~I can’t understand why the Yankees didn’t take Steve Philips advice and trade A-Rod in the off season.~~~

Because A-Rod has a no-trade clause that he wouldn’t lift?

9. Jen
      April 19th, 2007 | 8:51 pm

I nearly cried when that ball went out. I almost cried again on my way home hearing the replay on the radio. And when they get to it during the replay on YES I may just cry for real, since there’s no one here to see me.

10. April 19th, 2007 | 9:01 pm

Let it all out Jen – it’s good for the soul!

11. April 19th, 2007 | 9:37 pm

OK, so, I just watched the replay on YES – and, I’m still in awe. A-Rod’s HR was a bomb.

Two things to add, having now just watched the whole 9th. A-Rod deserves a huge hand for this one – but, then again, so does everyone else who reached base in the 9th. I would hand out 6 game balls for the 9th inning alone.

Lastly, how sad is it that such a great moment happened and there were probably only 7,000 people there to see it. Imagine how nuts the place would have been if there were 40-50,000 there when it happened?

12. Jen
      April 19th, 2007 | 9:53 pm

I don’t think it’s sad. I take great joy in it actually. Cause there are a few thousand people out there kicking themselves that they left early (There were people that gave up after the HR by Martinez in the 7th). And it serves them right. This game epitomizes the “this is why you don’t leave early” cliché.

13. April 19th, 2007 | 11:26 pm

I was one of those 7,000!

14. brockdc
      April 20th, 2007 | 1:13 am

Wow. Just wow.

15. April 20th, 2007 | 12:41 pm

Hey Steve, that’s funny. I actually did a similar thing with A-Rod’s walk off slam earlier this season. I was reading the recap and I had Yahoo! GameCenter, or whatever it’s called, open. It was in the 9th with 2 outs.

It was Igawa’s debut, so I started writing from that angle and then I wrote something about them losing and I stopped because it felt weird. We hadn’t lost yet. So, I stopped writing and just watched the GameCenter. The direction of the recap changed a bit after it was all over. hehe.