• April 20th @ The Red Sox

Posted by on April 20th, 2007 · Comments (10)

Somebody, somewhere, wanted me to have a bad day, today. Well, they won – but, it took three strikes to get to me. Here’s the story:

At my new job, they have a deal in the Spring and Summer where you can leave work at 1:30 pm on Fridays, if you’re willing to put some extra time on Monday through Thursday. Well, this was a week for me where things were blowing up, left and right, and I was really looking forward to getting the week over at one-thirty today.

Not so fast. Another issue came up today that kept me in the office until 4 pm – and ruined some plans that I had with the family this afternoon.

Strike one.

Then, on the commute home, I had another problem. The 45-mile drive usually takes about 75 minutes – when there are no issues.

Not so fast. There was an over-turned truck on 287/440 that backed up traffic – very badly. By the time I managed to find a way home, it took me three hours and fifteen minutes make the drive. There’s nothing worse than spending three plus hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic to drive 45 miles, at the end of a long week at work.

Strike two.

Next, there was this game tonight. Where do I start?

Not so fast. First, let’s go back to last February. According to news reports at that time, Joe Torre said “that he plans to limit Rivera to the ninth inning this season.”

Boy, that lasted a long time, huh? Mr. Green Tea brings in Mo, in the 8th inning of this contest, and again this season, Rivera kills some nice work by Pettitte. The Yankees lose. The Red Sox win. And, it’s a stunner.

Strike three.

In this Yankees game, Torre was one thing tonight. And, Rivera was another. There will be lots of talk about both of them. (The whole Kevin Thompson/Josh Phelps thing in the 9th with Torre was maddening.)

However, there was another play in this loss that I have to question – and I wonder if any others will key on it? With the score 6-4, in favor the Yankees, during the bottom of the 8th, with one out and Boston runners on first and second and Coco Crisp at the plate, why was Rico Bergman playing so far off the line? Late in the game, with the score close, are not the guys on the corners supposed to be positioned right on the line to prevent an extra base hit? As it was, Crisp hit a grounder between Rico and the line that went for a triple and tied the score. That’s a bad play, in my book – especially by a guy who is supposed to provide defense.

It was just a shame to waste what should have been a win tonight – and a great game, again, from A-Rod (and Pettitte). With the pitching match-ups the next two days, it could be a long series for the Yankees.

Well, at the least, I don’t have to go to work for the next two days – or sit in killer traffic tie-ups for hours upon hours. Of course, if we find out tomorrow that Posada has a broken left thumb or something, I’ll probably wish I was stuck at work and/or traffic instead of hearing that news.

For now, it’s time to say good-night, and good riddance, to a long and pain-in-the-ass kind of day. I’ll dust myself off in the morning and get back in the box. Maybe the Yankees can do the same?

Comments on April 20th @ The Red Sox

1. Jen
      April 20th, 2007 | 11:45 pm

// Of course, if we find out tomorrow that Posada has a broken left thumb or something//

According to Abraham, X-rays were negative.

Sorry about your day Steve.

2. baileywalk
      April 21st, 2007 | 12:03 am

Torre is a disaster. Why would Cashman put himself on the line to keep this guy? He’s a horrendous in-game manager. Pinch-running for Giambi. Allowing Wil Never-hits to swing the bat. Using Vizcaino after all the pitches he threw yesterday (instead of Bruney or Farns). Not pinch-hitting with Phelps.

He just drives you crazy. Torre always kills himself by only trusting one person in the ‘pen — and for no reason, that guy is Vizcaino right now. Bruney has been amazing. Why wasn’t he in that game?

And he once again panicked and rushed Mo into the game without a warmup.

It was like a Torre greatest-hits reel right before our eyes.

3. Andrew
      April 21st, 2007 | 12:18 am

They always do, Steve. They bucked up after the devastating Oakland loss and swept Cleveland on the backs of three rookies.

4. brockdc
      April 21st, 2007 | 1:05 am

My God, Joe, will you please stop with the pinch-running of Giambi in the 7th and 8th innings of games…PLEASE!?

5. JeremyM
      April 21st, 2007 | 1:15 am

This loss is killing me. Torre’s management was that of a senile old man. I can’t believe how many people are defending his moves around the web, the most common defense being “Torre didn’t make all those bad pitches” which is an absolutely ridiculous argument. Under that reasoning, nothing is the manager’s fault since he isn’t on the field. I’m sorry but Vizcaino threw 30-some pitches yesterday and was shelled, yet Torre sends him back out there tonight? That one move cost them the game. Might as well bring back Heredia or Avecedo or any of those other jokers that Torre falls in love with from time to time. I appreciate most of what Torre has done, but his time is up; unfortunately I don’t see a way out of it so we’re stuck.

6. Don
      April 21st, 2007 | 2:49 am

Let’s see, a usual [dumb] complaint against Joe Torre is: He doesen’t ‘trust’ enough in all his bullpen guys.

Now the usual suspects are complaining that he did trust the players he has. Hmmmmmmm?!

Then they fail and Torre brings in an underworked Mariano who promptly blows it.

Farnsworth pitched Thursday. Mr. Delicate cannot go back-to-back days. Duh!

Charlie Manual may soon be available. May he brighten your days………..

7. April 21st, 2007 | 8:46 am

~~~Oh yeah, Yankeee fans expect the ball to be pulled down the line against Mariano… Hmmmmmmmm? Talk about unreality.~~~

Crisp was batting left. (He’s a switch hitter.) The cutter comes in on a lefty. It’s a pitch begging the batter to open up early and pull it – if he wants a chance to hit it at all.

The Red Sox have been opening up on Mo, “cheating,” for a while now. Varitek and Mueller were masters at it. That’s why you guard the line.

That’s reality.

8. Santino53
      April 21st, 2007 | 9:42 am

Two questions… Joe, explain why Giambi gets pinch run for with a 3 run lead? Bites him in the backside everytime he does it. At least hold up Nieves if Thompson is going to run. No, he swings at the first pitch. Second, couldn’t Andy have finished off Lugo and Youkilis in the 7th? Proctor gets underused as a result. This game was lost long before Mo came in.

9. April 21st, 2007 | 12:25 pm

Interesting point about Minky’s positioning on the Crisp triple. I was so consumed with hatred for Torre’s “managing” that it never even occured to me.

Why not let Proctor pitch around Ortiz in the 8th and leave yourself some options later in the inning rather than rushing in an underprepared Mariano? Why not go to Bruney before Rivera? Terrible work before even mentioning the misuse of Thompson and Phelps.

10. Don
      April 21st, 2007 | 3:04 pm

This is pure nonsense. Nobody expects the ball to be pulled down the line by Crispy. At best into the hole, which is why the defense was set up that way. This is absolutely a non starter of an argument. So if we are now at the point where we have to fear Mariano being pulled down the line, then no wonder Cashman hasn’t extended his contract.

And yeah Steve, I knew Crispy switch-hits and was batting lefty. That is why I said who expects him to pull Mariano (down the line). Duh!

As for Phelps (ESB), what is he now, some great player? The season hinges on his bat?

Could Pettitte have gone longer? The pitching line says no, they got the maximum out of him last night. Besides, had Joe stayed with him the same Torre bashing would be going on as to why did Joe leave Andy in so long.

The pure hatred for Torre in this place is so thick, you can cut it with a knife.