• George Kontos Busted

Posted by on April 20th, 2007 · Comments (9)

From FOX in Tampa -

A minor league pitcher with the New York Yankees was arrested early Thursday morning on trespassing and obstruction charges after he refused to leave a Tampa restaurant.

Hillsborough County sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the Green Iguana Bar & Grill on Anderson Road just before 2 a.m. Management at the establishment told investigators that George Kontos attempted to re-enter the business after he was asked to leave.

The 21-year-old right-hander with the Tampa Yankees of the Class A Florida State League was again asked to leave. A HCSO deputy attempted to escort him from the premises but he kept pulling and was ultimately taken into custody.

George Kontos is a legit prospect. I hope that he overcomes this issue. Hey, back in May of 1985, Dale Berra and Don Mattingly were both arrested in Kansas City for indecent conduct in public. Boys will be boys. It happens. You just hope that they do grow out of it once they actually run into trouble and learn that you can’t just do what you want all the time.

Comments on George Kontos Busted

1. JeremyM
      April 20th, 2007 | 6:41 pm

Wow, never heard that, and considering Mattingly is my idol I’m not sure I want to know what he did exactly….

But, I did a search anyway and didn’t find anything, but I did read that he is Larry Bird’s brother-in-law. Never heard that one before, pretty interesting stuff.

2. Jen
      April 20th, 2007 | 8:53 pm

//considering Mattingly is my idol I’m not sure I want to know what he did exactly….//

He didn’t pull a David Cone (no pun intended) if that’s what you’re worried about. They were both nabbed for public urination, but in separate incidents.

3. JeremyM
      April 20th, 2007 | 10:36 pm

Yeah, that’s what I was worried about!

Torre needs to go. How do you not manage that game like a must-win game with two rookies coming up? Vizcaino? Are you kidding me? Indefensible managing. And nothing against Thompson, but how does Phelps not get the call there at the end? Unreal.

And Mo had nothing. I know he seems to go through this every year, but he looks cooked. He did look a little better after the bases were cleared, but his cutter didn’t have any bite.

4. baileywalk
      April 20th, 2007 | 10:38 pm

I hope that he overcomes this issue.

5. Don
      April 20th, 2007 | 10:50 pm

Yeah, it’s Torre’s fault MO had another bad game this week. That is worrisome, two awful performances in six days.

6. JeremyM
      April 20th, 2007 | 10:56 pm

No, it’s not. But, it’s his fault that he brought in Vizcaino (who crapped the bed in his last outing) when Bruney was available and Myers has done well against righties after a delivery change to righties, it’s his fault he pulled Pettitte early, it’s his fault he pulled Proctor after 6 pitches when he looked sharp, it’s his fault that Giambi was pulled for a pinch-runner, and it’s his fault that Thompson was allowed to hit while Phelps waited in the on-deck circle. I’m not saying the outcome is different, but you give the team the best shot you can to win. He didn’t come close.

7. baileywalk
      April 20th, 2007 | 11:16 pm

JeremyM is dead-on here. I’m so sick of Torre.

The big mistakes were taking Giambi out for a pinch-runner (this is the second time he’s done it prematurely) and bringing in Vizcaino when ‘Caino had to throw a lot of pitches yesterday (and has been pitching a lot). Once Myers gave up that hit to Ortiz, he should have brought in Bruney or Farnsworth. At what point in his career does Torre wake up and figure out you can’t use relievers every day and abuse the hell out of them?

So after Vizcaino, who looked like he didn’t trust his diminished fastball, walks Manny, Torre rushes Mo into the game without him having any real time to warm up.

Mo is not cooked. He did this exact same thing a few years ago and then he had a great year. His velocity is fine — his command has been awful all year. Maybe it’s the inconsistent work. Who knows. I wouldn’t give up on him just yet.

Torre once again went to a reliever one time too may, and then panicked when he couldn’t get the job done. I know Vizcaino has been branded with the “trust” now, but if he can’t use Bruney or Farns there, what’s the point of having them?

8. JeremyM
      April 20th, 2007 | 11:24 pm

I think you are right about Mo not getting enough time to warm up, as he looked a lot better after the first couple batters.

What a crappy loss, hopefully they can steal a win this weekend like the Sox did tonight. I’m just stunned.

9. Don
      April 21st, 2007 | 2:58 am

Yeah, Phelps (ESB), the Yankee savior-in-waiting. Grow up.

The only fault is the incessant pinch running for the slug…. errrrr….. Giambi.

Mariano was told he would be used early, if needed, before the game. He should have been mentally ready and he does not usually need a lot of throwing to be physically ready.

Farnsworth pitched Thursday, thus Mr. Delicate was unavailable Friday. Try getting with the program.