• Melky Cabrera To Triple-A?

Posted by on April 23rd, 2007 · Comments (16)

With Godzilla Matsui coming back today, and Jason Giambi tucked in at DH, given the way that Melky has hit so far this year, will Torre place Melky on the bench, pretty much full time now?

Is that the best thing in the world for Melky Cabrera – to ride the pines in New York? Will the Yankees decide that it’s better for him to play everyday in Triple-A to get his stroke back? After all, he did not hit in Spring Training this year as well.

As much as I love Melky, I think Cashman and Torre have to consider it.

Comments on Melky Cabrera To Triple-A?

1. Andrew
      April 23rd, 2007 | 4:13 pm

Nope, Thompson definitely goes. Melky, if nothing else, is above-average defensively in the outfield with the ability to play any outfield position…you don’t send that down when your center-fielder is hurting and your left fielder is just coming back from a hamstring injury.

No, Thompson will go down, and hopefully in the future Nieves will just get released, making Josh Phelps the backup catcher job, as well as continuing to hit him against lefties.

Hopefully Damon gets a rest tonight to allow himself to heal, and Melky plays in the outfield. Not an ideal offensive situation, sure, but c’mon, it’s Tampa Bay and Matsui’s back. I’d rather have Damon’s health.

2. JJay
      April 23rd, 2007 | 4:19 pm

3. April 23rd, 2007 | 4:38 pm

~~~I think what Melky did last year bought him at least one year on the “Joe Torre Loyalty Team”.~~~

It shouldn’t really be a question of loyalty. It should be a question of “what’s better for Melky Cabrera?” And the answer is clearly having him get in his at bats at AAA. He’ll be back in the Bigs with a job soon, but for now, it’s better for the Yanks and the kid if he gets regular playing time. He should be in AAA.

4. Pete
      April 23rd, 2007 | 4:40 pm

OTOH, I think K-thom played well enough to get his ticket re-punched to come back up in the near future…

5. baileywalk
      April 23rd, 2007 | 6:41 pm

I guess the Yankees are still the Yankees of old — despite the strides it looked like Cashman took.

In a ridiculous panic move, they’re bringing up Hughes to pitch Thursday.

So much for leaving him in AAA for half the year…

6. ynks4life
      April 23rd, 2007 | 6:43 pm

I don’t think Melky is going anywhere due to the injury that’s keeping Damon out of today’s lineup.

7. rbj
      April 23rd, 2007 | 6:46 pm

Hadn’t heard the news ynks4life, but it was what I was thinking: Melky in CF for a few games, and either rest Damon, or DH him with Giambi at 1B for the next few days.

8. JeremyM
      April 23rd, 2007 | 6:46 pm

I agree, Thompson acquitted himself nicely overall I thought. It’s too bad we’re carrying all these 1B/Dh types or he could serve a useful role. Sending Melky down wouldn’t be the worst idea right now although I think it’s unlikely. I do think Melky can turn it around, he’s probably pressing knowing that his regular playing days could be over which is why going down might not be all bad.

So Hughes is starting on Thursday? This should be fun, I just hope it means Chase Wright goes back down- nothing against him but thinking of him starting against Boston again sends cold chills down my spine. Abraham says it’s a panic move but I don’t think so, sticking to a plan just for the sake of sticking to a plan isn’t always the best idea. I’d prefer he stayed in AAA for a bit longer I guess, but there is still a season to be played here.

Thank God Wang is back, can’t wait to see what he has.

9. JeremyM
      April 23rd, 2007 | 6:47 pm

Sorry, somehow I missed that Wright was sent down. Good.

10. ynks4life
      April 23rd, 2007 | 6:53 pm

Panic move ? Yes. Why ? Don’t know. We’re only 4 wks into the season and the Yankees have already done 2 things they said they wouldn’t. Torre said Chase Wright would stay in the rotation “for now.” And Cashman said there was no way they would call up Hughes.

11. baileywalk
      April 23rd, 2007 | 7:00 pm

The Yankees smartly said Hughes wasn’t making the team out of spring training and that he needed time in AAA. The smart move would have been to let him make about twelve starts down there.

He only has three starts in AAA under his belt — one good, one bad (in bad weather), and one brilliant.

If they’re willing to bring him up now, with such little AAA experience, they might as well have used him as a starter to start the year.

The Yankees are clearly panicking with this move — there are other pitchers to pitch. I’m just really shocked Cashman would so quickly go against what he said about Hughes coming up.

12. ynks4life
      April 23rd, 2007 | 7:05 pm

Baileywalk many have said The Boss is behind this. I would have to agree. Would you ?

13. Don
      April 24th, 2007 | 3:41 am

Baileywalk, completely agree with both of your posts.

Mark this one down Steve!

14. April 24th, 2007 | 9:54 am

~~~many have said The Boss is behind this. ~~~

I would doubt that. He’s too out of it these days.

15. Don
      April 24th, 2007 | 1:53 pm

Still, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck……

16. antone
      April 24th, 2007 | 6:37 pm

What’s so bad about Hughes making a start or 2? Seriously, it’s not like they are expecting him to be the # 1 starter the whole season. You guys crack me up. He’s still going to spend most of the season in triple A, and it’s not like he has a higher chance of getting hurt because he’s pitching in the majors. Give me a break.