• Phil Hughes To Start On Thursday

Posted by on April 23rd, 2007 · Comments (6)

From the AP -

“It’s a necessity for us,” Torre said. “They don’t think it’s the wrong time for him. His ability, his presence, I think he’s mature enough.”

When he makes the start, Hughes will become only the 17th pitcher ever, age 20 or younger, to start a game for the New York Yankees – according to my quick research. Dave Righetti (1979), Gene Nelson (1981), Jose Rijo (1984) are the only ones to do it in the last 40 years.

It’s anyone’s guess as to how this move will work out for the Yankees and Hughes…both in the short- and long-term.

Comments on Phil Hughes To Start On Thursday

1. brockdc
      April 24th, 2007 | 1:00 am

I’m not exactly sure how this helps the team. Right now, we know two things about Hughes:

1. He is on a strict pitch and inning count, so look for more innings unloaded on an already overburdened bullpen.

2. By most accounts, he is still struggling with his third pitch and needs more time at AAA to refine his arsenal

2. baileywalk
      April 24th, 2007 | 1:29 am

Where’d you hear that he was struggling with his third pitch? He actually threw his changeup well in his last start and got a few strikeouts with it.

I would assume/hope that the pitch-count would be lifted to at least 100 pitches. They can’t bring Hughes up to the big leagues and expect him to go five with 80 pitches. It would be pointless.

They let Chase Wright throw 100+ pitches in his first start and his arm didn’t explode or fall off. So maybe they can learn something from that.

I would think he’d be on the same pitch-count as everyone else (which in Yankee land means 100 and you’re gone, unfortunately).

3. JJay
      April 24th, 2007 | 8:43 am

I’m just curious – when did pitch count become so important? And when did 100 become the cut-off?

It just seems like you didn’t hear about this 10 years ago.

4. April 24th, 2007 | 9:45 am

I think the pitch count thing started in 1999, after Kerry Wood blew out his arm. But, I could be wrong.

5. JJay
      April 24th, 2007 | 9:58 am

Interesting. Thanks, Steve.

But Kerry Wood is Kerry Wood. Some guys might be just fine tossing 125 pitches every start while some others might max out at 90.

6. April 24th, 2007 | 10:50 am