• April 24th @ The Devil Rays

Posted by on April 24th, 2007 · Comments (14)

So, last place, huh?

Personally, I like Mike Myers. I’ve heard him interviewed a few times on X-M Radio. He seems like a stand-up guy. I’ve also heard that he’s someone who is interested in the history of the game. So, there, we’re kindred spirits (of sorts). Reports say that Myers is great in the clubhouse. And, I like the fact that he was willing to work with Ron Guidry, and adapt to pitching from both sides of the rubber, so that he could pitch an inning (or two) in blow-out games (without getting pounded by right-handed batters).

But, the fact of the matter is that Mike Myers’ role on this team is to get lefty batters out in big spots. And, because that’s his main role, he needs to be lock-down solid in those situations…meaning getting the job done 90-95% of the time (against lefties). And, to have value, he must never allow a homerun to a left-handed batter.

If Mike Myers can’t do the above, then he should not be on this team. Again, I like the man. Therefore, this is not easy to say. But, it’s true. When your lefty-specialist is not special, he’s got no value.

On the bright-side, if there was one today, Worm Killer Wang looked good – and he pitched into the 7th inning. I know for some teams that may not seem like much…but, hey, we’re talking about the last place New York Yankees here. You take whatever you can get.

Comments on April 24th @ The Devil Rays

1. Joel
      April 24th, 2007 | 10:56 pm

Wang was decent–not great, just decent. The only positive is that after an awful 5 game losing streak we’re only 4 out of first in what is a mosh pit AL East.

2. JeremyM
      April 24th, 2007 | 11:06 pm

I agree Steve. As badly as I think Torre managed tonight (for instance, why does Phelps need a pinch-runner with 2 outs in the 7th inning?) Myers has to get the job done there. I like him for the reasons you mentioned-he even apparently offered to start a game-but he’s worthless if he can’t get an out there.

I think Wang was very good, his line isn’t great but that’s how it goes. He should’ve finished the 7th, no way should Vizcaino been in there again although that move didn’t hurt.

We’ll see how they blow it tomorrow. Pettitte has been incredible so we’ll see if he can keep it up.

3. baileywalk
      April 24th, 2007 | 11:17 pm

Can Torre leave a starter in a game for once? Doesn’t he realize that sometimes, in certain situations, the starter is better than the reliever? I know it’s Wang’s first game of the year, but it’s not like he was ever stressed — there’s no reason to take him out after 80 pitches. Let him finish that inning. Trust me, a starter would rather clean up his own mess than hand it over to the bullpen. In that situation, Wang is better than a taxed Vizcaino. ‘Caino only got out of that situation by PURE LUCK. He gave up a rocket that found Cairo. Vizcaino needs a week off.

I know it pains Torre to let his starters go more than 90 pitches, but he’s going to have to do it. And is Guidry breathing? Can’t he speak up for his relievers and his starters? It seems all he does is trot out to the mound a few times a game.

I didn’t think Myers was worth a roster spot assuming he could get out lefties all the time — if he doesn’t do that, then, by definition, he’s useless.

4. April 24th, 2007 | 11:32 pm

The reason Wang came out is because he just came back from the DL and isnt up to full stamina. It was set before the game that he was only going to throw 80. Its unfortunate and ideally he would have stayed in but the guy has only pitched a couple innings so far this year and he was obviously tiring there in the seventh. That wasnt Torre’s bad move, however I would have brought in Farnsworth instead of Vizcaino. Vizcaino needs a couple days off he has now pitched 13 times in 19 games.

5. baileywalk
      April 24th, 2007 | 11:58 pm

That pitch-count restriction was arbitrary and pointless. Wang has been throwing and did his one rehab stint. I hate to quote Jim Kaat, but this definitely fits his “performance count” theory. Pitch-counts don’t tell the whole story — innings don’t take a lot out of you unless they are stressful (lots of pitches, lots of base runners, etc.). Wang never struggled that entire game. He was fine to throw ten or so more pitches.

The idea that his pitch-count was set in stone before the game is just another annoying little Yankee thing that they do with their pitchers.

Torre has to leave Wang in that game.

Life would be better if Myers had done his job, but I don’t even think it should have gotten to the point of bringing Myers in.

6. Don
      April 25th, 2007 | 3:10 am

You’re wrong on this baileywalk. The team needs a 100% healthy Wang. This is not an arbitrary number that Kaat would talk about. Not this time. Wang needs to build up arm strength after missing time. The team needs him more in August/September than April.

Myers is average, that is on Cashen.

7. Garcia
      April 25th, 2007 | 6:48 am

Why are we so focused on pointing at other things that weren’t what cost us the game – i.e Phelps, taking Wang out? Our lefty specialist gave up a grand slam to a lefty batter. That’s what happened, why do we have to complicate things?

Man watching the Yanks really sucks lately. I hate the way I feel when I go to bed. This f’ing sucks!!!

8. rbj
      April 25th, 2007 | 8:27 am

I agree with you Steve, this is where Myers had to do his job. As for Wang, the two previous batters had solid hits off him because he was leaving the ball up. He obviously was tiring, it was time to take him out.

But hey, the bullpen gets a day off today!

9. MJ
      April 25th, 2007 | 8:40 am

Isn’t the bigger crime that Bruney and Vizcaino were asked to pitch AGAIN while Kyle Farnsworth just sits out there in the bullpen? Wang pitched reasonably well and he probably had a bit more juice left in him but I can’t blame Torre for taking him out in that spot. What I can blame Torre for is going to his overused arms when Farnsworth hasn’t pitched in what seems like ages. Why go to Farnsworth AFTER the damage is done? Isn’t he there to pitch the 7th inning?

Look, I detest Farnsworth. I think he stinks and I think he’s a big pussy. But, if nothing else, he’s gotta get out there in that spot with 2 on and 1 out and get Wang out of the jam. If not, Cashman should trade him for a few cans of soup and a bag of oyster crackers or something. Torre has done a brutal job this year. Cue up Larry Bowa, he’s about the only guy on that coaching staff that has a pulse.

Guidry and Donnie – love them to death – are emasculated, blind, and deaf. There’s just no other way to explain how the two most important coaches on the team can permit such folly each and every night.

10. JJay
      April 25th, 2007 | 8:47 am

Why does Torre continue to pinch run in the 7th inning!? I cannot believe our last two outs were Melky and Doug M. Melky is a AAA right now and looks as if he’s a Little Leaguer hitting on a big league diamond for the first time. I’m sick of these little dribblers all over the infield.

11. baileywalk
      April 25th, 2007 | 11:28 am

Everyone keeps saying that the final two hits off of Wang were high in the zone. Doesn’t he get credit for that filthy pitch he made to strike out Gomes? It dove down and in and he had no chance to hit it.

Also, I’m not one hundred percent sure, but I don’t think the ball Upton hit was a sinker.

The funny thing is that Torre said before the game Wang DIDN’T have a pitch count, but then later found out that the medical staff and Gator wanted to limit him to 80 pitches. So last year they let him go way past the number of innings he’s ever put on his arm — something that usually portends injury — but last night they’re “saving” him by limiting him to 80 pitches, when the injury was not to his arm but his leg.

I think it’s absurd to think Wang couldn’t finish his inning — and damnit, he SHOULD finish his inning. Let starters deal with their own jams once in a while.

And if you’re going to play for the double play, keep the guy who induces the most ground balls in the majors in the game.

People always scream that the fans are too hard on Torre and that he’s forced to make these moves and we’re just complaining little gnats who don’t know what we’re talking about, but I watch other teams besides the Yankees — I watch other teams to see certain pitchers (Peavy, Sheets, Willis, Cain, Santana, etc.) — and while managers will always bungle, it’s never like this. It’s never this barrage of bad moves over and over again.

12. Travis G.
      April 25th, 2007 | 11:34 am

that was ANOTHER game they shoulda had. Wang pitched well, not great but good enough for a win. i didn’t have a problem taking him out, especially after coming off the DL and giving up two hard hits.

the problem though is using Vizcaino AGAIN, and Myers’ ineptness. Myers is again pitching better to RHB, so why is he on the team? use Sean Henn there if you need to do the platoon thing. or use Mo – I’m strongly in the camp that says use your best reliever when the situation calls for it, not just in the last 2 innings.

and I’m sick of Melky struggling to get balls out of the damn infield. what happened to his plate discipline too?

so i put most of the blame on the players this time, not Torre.

13. JJay
      April 25th, 2007 | 12:28 pm

I know part of it is due to the patience of (most) of the Yankees batters but because of Torre and his bullpen management the Yankees seem to be playing three and a half+ games all the time.

Every time a reliever comes in you look at “Games” and see a 13, 14, or 15 next to their name when there has only been 19 in the season. That’s not good.

14. JJay
      April 25th, 2007 | 12:30 pm

EDIT: Should have been three and a half hours+. Sorry.