• Was It A Mercurochrome “Stained” Sanitary Sock?

Posted by on April 26th, 2007 · Comments (12)

From ESPN.com -

The story of Curt Schilling’s famous bloody sock from the 2004 playoffs is turning into a bloody mess after a prominent broadcaster claimed one of Schilling’s teammates acknowledged the blood wasn’t real.

Fast-forward to Wednesday night’s Mid-Atlantic Sports Network’s telecast of Red Sox-Orioles.

In the bottom of the fifth, according to multiple media reports, Orioles play-by-play man Gary Thorne said on the air that he had been told by Red Sox catcher Doug Mirabelli that the substance was paint, not blood.

“The great story we were talking about the other night was that famous red stocking that he wore when they finally won, the blood on his stocking,” Thorne told broadcast partner and Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Palmer, according to media reports.

“Nah,” Thorne said. “It was painted. Doug Mirabelli confessed up to it after. It was all for PR. Two-ball, two-strike count.”

After the game, Mirabelli flatly and angrily denied Thorne’s story.

“What? Are you kidding me? He’s [expletive] lying. A straight lie,” Mirabelli said, according to The Boston Globe. “I never said that. I know it was blood. Everybody knows it was blood.”

To me, the key is simple here: Why would Gary Thorne lie? What’s the benefit to him by making up this story?

As far as Mirabelli, I stand by what I said last year, around this time: Doug Mirabelli is a sphincter-head in red socks.

It would be cool to see Thorne’s claim be proven true. While it would not make up for losing the 2004 ALCS, it would be nice to see the Schilling legacy take a hit.

Comments on Was It A Mercurochrome “Stained” Sanitary Sock?

1. April 26th, 2007 | 11:27 am

I think Skip Bayless talked about that possibility for a long time, but it’s nice to see, ahem, a more reliable source such as Thorne mention it.
      Even if it’s just PR, it’s still, sadly, genius.

2. April 26th, 2007 | 11:32 am

Glad to see I wasn’t the only one who doubted the blood… where are the DNA samples off the sock? Can we just go to the Hall of Fame and take a DNA sample of the “blood”?

3. bfriley76
      April 26th, 2007 | 11:42 am

Is Thorne saying this conversation happened recently? I really wonder when it happened, because it would make a lot of sense if it happened after Mirabelli was traded to the Padres. I remember him being unhappy about leaving Boston.

4. Garcia
      April 26th, 2007 | 1:16 pm

The only thing that would make this story any better is if it came out that the blood wasn’t a result of the stitches on his ankle, but that Curt was going through the menstruation process and he hadn’t realized it was THAT time of the month before he stepped out to pitch.

That would probably expalin a lot of things though.

5. Pete
      April 26th, 2007 | 1:21 pm

Oh heaven forbid the legendary bloody sock wasn’t real – Sawx fans’ heads would explode…

Schilling just probably watched ‘The Natural’ one too many times.*

*Posted this on Baseball Musings, too, in case anyone visits that site as well. ;-)

6. jake
      April 26th, 2007 | 5:03 pm

“Personally? I think it was blood, but I also believe the stain was from earlier in the day and Curt left the sock on for effect. No way he wouldn’t have been properly bandaged up by the trainer for game time.”

Did you watch the game? The stain wasn’t there, then it was, so your theory makes no sense.

7. JeremyM
      April 26th, 2007 | 6:40 pm

Do the Yankees still lose the ALCS if it’s not blood? Yes? Then I don’t care, except it’s funny if it’s fake. But it probably isn’t.

Personally, I only care if the Sox win or lose because they are in the same division as the Yanks and likely to compete with them for the division crown, if the Yanks can get to playing better.

I will say this, I doubt you’d hear Red Sox suck at a New York Giants or Jets victory celebration:)

8. Pete
      April 26th, 2007 | 11:56 pm

>>Did you watch the game? The stain wasn’t there, then it was, so your theory makes no sense>>

It also makes little sense that Schilling would be allowed to take the mound with an open wound on his foot. Something’s definitely amiss, and you could see the hesitation in Mirabelli’s voice today as he tried to cover his tracks.

>>If it turned out that it wasn’t blood yankee fans would throw a party, but you don’t care about the sox, no sir.>>

Schilling is such a despicable character that he made Yankees fans care – and this goes back to 2001, so it’s got little to do with the Sox and more to do with The Mouth himself.

>>(have also heard ‘boston sucks’ chants at yankee stadium, have also heard “well at least boston lost” on yankee blogs, so if you think there’s a difference between the fan bases you’re mistaken, years ago? Yes. Today? No.)” >>

Yankees fans chat ‘Boston Sucks’ during a Yankees game in which either they’re playing Boston or when Boston happens to be losing. We don’t chant it at Jets or Giants football games, we don’t chant it at rock concerts, and we certainly didn’t chant it at any of the 4 World Series victory parades in recent years.

Get over it, and stop taking everything personally. Your entire fan base IS different in that they’ve got some massive inferiority complex that not even winning a WS could cure.

9. April 27th, 2007 | 1:07 pm

Oh, come ON.

Curt says it’s blood. Mirabelli says it’s blood. The doctor says it’s blood. Curt has publicly offered $1 million to the charity of your choice if it isn’t.

10. Pete
      April 27th, 2007 | 4:44 pm

>> The lengths to which Yankee fans will go to pretend 2004 (The Greatest Choke In The History Of Team Sports(TM)) never happened are truly comical. >>

$1 million dollars? I beg to differ – the lengths that Schilling is going to defend a ‘blood’-stained piece of laundry is even MORE comical. And since when is Gary Thorne involved with the Yankee organization?

Again, it’s got nothing to do with denial – Schilling is a moron, and 99% of Yankees fans hate his guts.

We’d like nothing more than to have him look silly in a national spotlight.

11. April 27th, 2007 | 10:36 pm

I never said Thorne was involved with the Yankee organization. Y’all are going on and on about the sock being fake when absolutely all available evidence is that its not.

Is Curt a moron? No. I don’t agree with his politics, and I don’t blame you for hating him. I don’t like Jeter for the same reason. I suspect (with no reason at all for doing so) that I wouldn’t like Curt if I met him.

But, like any true baseball fan, I know that Jeter is a great player, and, assuming I have some, I plan to tell my grandchildren how great he was and such a pleasure it was to see him play. I could never deny that American baseball history begins and ends with the New York Yankees.

After all, 20 straight World Series wins and we’re TIED with you.

I just see this gleeful chorus of “its fake! its fake!” as a way of denying that 2004 was all that big a deal, when in fact it was the Greatest Choke In The History of Professional Sports(TM).

I think it is something of a big deal, because it makes Curt not only to be a liar, but as perpetrating a massive fraud. I can understand his being a little offended.

12. April 28th, 2007 | 10:44 am

~~when in fact it was the Greatest Choke In The History of Professional Sports(TM).~~

What one was that again, the great ’04 Sox allowing the Yankees to even win three games? [wink]