• April 27th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on April 27th, 2007 · Comments (7)

If you’re a Yankees fan, and you’ve been paying close attention to the team this season so far, and you’ve just watched this entire game tonight from start to finish, the only way this exact moment in Yankeeland could feel any uglier for you would be if Joe Torre just appeared before you wearing nothing but tassel pasties and a thong.

If there was any bright-side to this evening, it was at the very end of the game, watching the Yankees leave their dugout and heading into the clubhouse…except one person who remained seated on the bench…looking somewhat shocked…Rico Bergman. Once the dugout was clear, Rico stood up, took his bat, and passed it over the roof of the dugout to a fan. I take that as a signal that Mientkiewicz knows his days on this team are soon to be over.

If this is true, sure, it’s just like tossing a deck chair off the sinking Titanic, and, tossing Rico is not going to make the Yankees pitchers any better…but, right now, Yankees fans need to feel good about something – and we’ll take whatever we can get now.

Anyone up for “Project M-11,” aka “Adios Rico”? Com’on Yankees, throw us dogs a bone, huh? It’s not like we’re looking for Cashman or Torre on a platter. This request is small. It’s very small…but, it’s something. And, again, at this stage, seeing the Yankees do anything well/smart/good/positive would be a pleasant sight for sore eyes.

Do it now before Karsten’s start tomorrow. After that one, we may need something bigger, if not granted this one now.

Comments on April 27th vs. The Red Sox

1. JeremyM
      April 28th, 2007 | 12:05 am

Actually, Steve, he was passing that up to his brother, and it’s being listed on ebay as we speak. Rico knows a thing or two about saving game items; he blew it with the Sox ball but he’s going to get every penny he can for game-used items from now on. Jeter would be wise to watch his gear, or we’ll have another Ruben Rivera on our hands.

Man, this was like a greatest hits game for Sox fans. I can’t think of much positive to take out of the game. Sean Henn looks pretty good, and nobody was injured- there we go! Bat Boy Karstens will get em tomorrow though.

2. baileywalk
      April 28th, 2007 | 12:13 am

Let’s go Nets! Let’s go Nets!

Nah, I’m just kidding. But, boy, was that UGLY. Christ. There’s only one positive thing here: it can’t get any worse.

Just a horrible, horrible (and looooong) game I want to quickly forget. It was odd seeing Andy unable to give the team what it needed, after he had been so good all year.

Thank God I have the draft and basketball to distract me for a day. Thinking about this game, and how the Yanks have played recently, really makes you nauseous.

3. brockdc
      April 28th, 2007 | 12:55 am

If any of you have it, I highly recommend Tivo-ing these Yankee games. You can get through a one-sided drubbing in just under an hour, all the while watching how energetic and invigorated our squad looks (in X3 speed, that is).

In other news, me thinks the league might be catching on to how Cano swings at EVERYTHING.

4. April 28th, 2007 | 12:57 am

I wrote this as a comment on my own blog, but I’ll rephrase it here:

“To see Joe Torre lose all hope in Mariano closing out the last inning and pulling him out for Mike “The Game is Over” Myers was probably the most disheartening thing to see this season, period. If Torre can’t even trust Mariano to finish a game, even if the team is down by 3 or more runs, I… yea, I’m speechless.”

Maybe I’m blinded by my love for Mo and hoping that he’ll get back to his usual self, but to me, even in that spot of a 8-3 game, you let Mariano finish the game out (unless Torre has Mariano on a 20 pitch count).

5. brockdc
      April 28th, 2007 | 3:32 am

Don’t you get it? Everyone’s on a twenty pitch count – even the starters. That way, everybody shares the workload evenly. Joe’s the most egalitarian manager in the history of baseball. One day, people will look back and realize how genius he was at bullpen management. Or not.

6. Garcia
      April 28th, 2007 | 9:11 am

Was I the only person cheering when Mikciekzikz went into the stands for him to get permanently disabled?

Disgusting. I promised I wasn’t going to read any Yankee news today. I have great seats to the game and I don’t even want to go. Disgusting!

7. April 28th, 2007 | 9:56 am

I know how you feel – I have tickets for Sunday…and only knowing that Wang will be on the mound makes me feel good about going.