• May 3rd @ The Rangers – Game 1

Posted by on May 3rd, 2007 · Comments (12)

Gotta be honest here. This game, albeit a win, was boring. Basically, only three guys in the Yankees line-up did anything, at all, with the stick (Melky, Giambi and Matsui). Is Mike Wood that good of a pitcher?

On the mound? Pettitte did a decent job. Vizcaino was not good. (Not terrible, but, clearly not good.) Farnsworth made it more interesting than it should have been in his inning. And, Mo was Mo.

So, cheers for Pettitte, Giambi, Matsui, Rivera and Cabrera. The rest of the team was…well…yawn. Not exactly what you would hope to see against a team as bad as the Rangers are now.

But, hey, they won. So, yes, it could have been a lot worse out there this afternoon.

Comments on May 3rd @ The Rangers – Game 1

1. snowball003
      May 3rd, 2007 | 11:46 pm

I chalked the yawn factor up to them saving energy for game 2. And I’m sticking to that.

2. baileywalk
      May 4th, 2007 | 1:52 am

Farnsworth made it more interesting than it should have been in his inning.
      ———

How so, by giving up a hit?

The good news for all the Farnsworth haters is that he was throwing with his usual 95-100 mph velocity in the first game and was still in that range in game two.

3. Joel
      May 4th, 2007 | 8:20 am

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw Farnsworth in both ends of a doubleheader! Wow! Two whole innings from our $17 million set-up guy–in one day!

Farnsworth proves that velocity is overrated. Hitters had much better swings against his 98 mph fastball than aginst Mussina’s 88 mph fastball. My sense is that for all his velocity, Farnsworth’s release point is relatively easy to pick up and his ball is pretty straight.

On the plus side, he has been throwing a much higher ratio of fastballs to sliders this season–which I love to see. I’ve always thought he threw his slider far too much. (I remember former pitcher Joe Magrane on FSN Florida saying, “Here’s the scouting report on Farnsworth: He throws 100 mph, but is in love with his slider.”) And, I saw one 93 mph power sinker as a third pitch. I’ve never seen that before and that could be nice complement to his slider.

4. JJay
      May 4th, 2007 | 8:21 am

WTF? Who gives a sh*t!? They won!

Steve, I really think you would complain about a win in the bottom of the 9th against Boston to clinch the division if it were on a sac fly because that was a “boring” finish.

May 4th, 2007 | 8:59 am

==========
      His issue is that he can’t go back to back days. Two games in the same day is okay :)

Having said that, I wouldn’t mind seeing him extended for an inning or two. But that would go against his usage pattern for the majority of his career.

6. antone
      May 4th, 2007 | 9:05 am

You chalk these two games up as just taking care of business. A win is a win and the Yankees need to beat the Texas and Seattle type teams. Nice to have Mussina back, hopefully he can stay healthy the rest of the season.

7. May 4th, 2007 | 9:07 am

~~~How so, by giving up a hit?~~~

Allowing the potential tying run to reach scoring position in the bottom of the 8th.

8. antone
      May 4th, 2007 | 10:16 am

Things are never easy for Farnsworth, I think we know that by now. Reminds me alot of Jeff Nelson, that guy used to drive me crazy.

9. Exit9
      May 4th, 2007 | 11:55 am

Ever since I watched him implode in a close game last year against Detroit, I don;t trust Farnsworth. When he can’t locate his off speed stuff he’s a meatball sandwich. And the other thing that troubles me is that as big as he is, he’s not intimidating anyone out there, because he’s too much pf a priss. He’s out there kicking pebbles off the hill with his toe that only he can see with those gucci glasses. Velocity wise he’s a little slower than Zumaya, but hitters aren’t exactly comfy with Zoo on the bump. With Farnsworth, I can’t help but have a gut feeling that the other team smells blood.

10. baileywalk
      May 4th, 2007 | 12:02 pm

I guess those other teams haven’t seen the two videos of him attacking people like a linebacker.

If you guys expect perfection out of Farnsworth, you’re going to be disappointed. No one is infallible — not Mo, not Papelbon, not Hoffman. If Farnsworth is going to get taken out back and slapped for giving up a hit, then he can’t ever win with the fans.

Vizcaino is the one who came in and gave up a home run to tie the game — the first home run the guy hit in three hundred at-bats. THAT, my friends, is shitting the bed.

Everyone is going to give up hits. Coming into a one-run game and giving up a home run to a guy who doesn’t hit home runs is a killer.

But that’s what ‘Caino does in the AL: give up home runs and not strike people out.

So even though, according to Steve, Vizcaino was “not terrible, but not good,” he’s the one you should worry about.

May 4th, 2007 | 12:12 pm

===========
      I believe Paul Wilson & Jeremy Affeldt would disagree with your assessment.

12. Exit9
      May 4th, 2007 | 3:16 pm

Good one Raf & Baily, I forgot about those brawls. Maybe he should have decked Texiera instead of throwing that pitch. Farns and Viscaino have somewhat similar stats, Farns is better on walks and better on Ks, Caino has 17 games to Farns’ 12, they both have ERAs in the 5′s. I’m concerned about them both, athough until the starters begin to stay in past 5 innings, the pen is going up in flames, and they’re all toast. It was a huge plus to see Farns pitch in back to back games. Credit him for that, and for getting rid of the side after the HR.