• May 3rd @ The Rangers – Game 2

Posted by on May 4th, 2007 · Comments (13)

From the AP:

“We had a little extra attitude this week,” Mientkiewicz said. “Not that we were freaking out, but it was like, let’s put our foot on the gas a little bit.”

I’m not seeing that. Well, actually, I saw it in the first game of this series. But, in the last two games, the Yankees faced Mike Wood and Robinson Tejeda, and they didn’t exactly rip the cover off the ball.

Mussina did look very sharp in the game. That’s a huge positive.

Man, that catch by Matt Kata in the 1st inning, off Jeter’s drive, reminded me of Joe Rudi in the 1972 World Series. That was an incredible play.

Lastly, I just hope that Brian Bruney doesn’t get gun-shy now…after beaning Sammy Sosa pretty good. It’s happened to pitchers before…you never know.

I’m glad that the Yankees swept the Rangers…but, while I watch this week (and next) with one eye, I have my other eye on the Yankees remaining 15 games this month. I’m not quite sure that the effort shown yesterday, despite what Mientkiewicz says, is full-throttle. And, it’s going to need to be there in order for New York to do well against those teams that the Yankees face this month after the Rangers and Mariners.

Comments on May 3rd @ The Rangers – Game 2

1. Garcia
      May 4th, 2007 | 9:42 am

It’s funny you mention that, I was just talking with my brother about the same thing. I thought these games were boring, only the Hughes game was exciting to watch. They didn’t look like they were gunning for anyone or anything, they just looked they were trying to win a game.

Nothing wrong with “trying to win a game”, but there’s a difference in saying, “We had a little extra attitude this week”. Cause I sure as hell didn’t see that little extra attitude.

They played well and I’m glad the Yanks swept them, but I can’t start to get excited yet till I see them playing for something. Where the intensity is in each and everyone of the players, I actually felt the Yanks were intense when they played Boston.

Man, what the hell is up with Cano and those high pitches? Lay the hell off dude.

2. Santino53
      May 4th, 2007 | 10:02 am

Totally agree Steve.Cano bothers me with his undisciplined approach putting him in 0-2 counts
      almost every at bat. Did Mattingy have better luck with him than Long? Is he overconfident?
      Why does Abreu stay in the 3 hole with such pathetic at bats? Why not swap him with Matsui who is still the smartest hitter in the lineup?
      Giambi can hit third but as we saw , his legs make that a bad spot for the team. And hopefully Melky finds a rythym and contributes more consistently. Right now he doesn’t show the approach he had last year. More of a wild swinger
      so far but some signs of improvement.

3. JJay
      May 4th, 2007 | 10:26 am

Don’t forget the ones so low that they hit him in the foot that Cano swings at.

4. rbj
      May 4th, 2007 | 11:31 am

5. Jen
      May 4th, 2007 | 11:50 am

What rbj said. Just because we didn’t see a little extra attitude doesn’t mean it wasn’t there. (What does extra attitude look like anyway?) Minky could’ve been referring to the general feeling the clubhouse for all we know. He even said they weren’t “freaking out”. They don’t have to trounce on teams every time out to show that they are playing for something. They took 2 games of a double header, which is hard to do no matter who you are playing.

I do agree with moving Abreu down. Abraham said that he could get today off. And if Matsui keeps hitting like he did yesterday I wouldn’t be surprised if they were swapped in the lineup when Bobby plays again.

6. May 4th, 2007 | 11:51 am

~~~The Yankees should be able to beat bad teams without having to go full throttle.~~~

The last two games have proved that.

But, they also should be able to open up the throttle, with ease, against bad teams. And, we did not see that yesterday.

7. Exit9
      May 4th, 2007 | 12:03 pm

I was surprised to see Moose come out after 5 innings and only 64 pitches. He seemed fine, with a low pitch count to go at least one more. I mean, what’s the idea – he had <70 to work with? If he’d thrown 64 pitches in 4 innings he would have been pulled after 4? I don’t get this, I’d rather have seen Moose pitch the 6th then Viscaino and Bruney (again).

May 4th, 2007 | 12:06 pm

Reports are he asked out because he was tired.

9. snowball003
      May 4th, 2007 | 12:46 pm

“The Yankees should be able to beat bad teams without having to go full throttle.”
      ——————–
      That was my thought. I think if the need were there for full throttle they may have done some balls-to-the-wall style playing.

10. dereksTeam
      May 4th, 2007 | 1:21 pm

The problem with DeSalvo is that he is on a pitch count and will probably last last as long as Mussina did with the resulting (every other day) bullpen parade that seems to get touched up for a couple runs (or more).But it’s the Mariners, so lets hope for the best. Mussina was so awesome and taking him out after 64 was perfect. Treat him with kid gloves. We need three or four more wins out of him for the month of May. A graphic said he was 11-1 the past three years.

Here’s hoping Mattie’s 80 or so pitches takes him into the 6th and he worms his way into the starting rotation.

The Yes Team was highly entertaining, particularly the banter between Singleton and Girardi over the intelligence of Catchers:

Singleton (talking about the Ranger reserve Catcher): He was converted from a third baseman down in the minors, probably because he was too slow to play the infield.
      Girardi: That is the tradition. Catchers tend to be your slowest players.
      Singleton: Yeah, you learn to throw down one or two fingers and then one day they make you manager…

Later:
      Girardi: I was talking to (names a catcher) who went out on the field between games. The wind was whipping around, well over 70 mph and it looked like it was going to blow over the scoreboard..
      Singleton: Well, that wasn’t too smart to be out on the field in the middle of that..
      Girardi: I’m sure he had his mask on…

Discussion Moves To Outfielders:
      Singleton: Mussina is one pitcher you don’t want to try to outguess. I swear, I think he remembers every pitch he has every thrown. That goes to show the incredible level of concentration that can be achieved when you take the field…
      (Camera cuts to Melky Carbrera who is taking off his cap, staring into it and putting it back on his head)
      Murcer: That goes for outfielders, too. I can remember bein’ out there, checkin’ the cap, thinkin’ about what’s on at the movies…

Apologies for not taking it down more accurately shorthand.

11. brockdc
      May 4th, 2007 | 1:55 pm

My guess is that Bruney will be fine. He didn’t seem too disconcerted – that was until Torre yanked him. Not that I condone head hunting (and I don’t believe there was any intent behind Sosa’s beaning), but I kind of like having a flame-thrower who’s effectively wild coming out of the bullpen

May 4th, 2007 | 2:19 pm

dereksTeam: What you had was good/close enough (:

13. snowball003
      May 4th, 2007 | 7:56 pm

dereksTeam: Close enough! I loved the chemistry those guys had. That was just some great commentary–and I love that the YES announcers rarely detract from the game, even in their between batter discussions.