• May 5th vs. The Mariners

Posted by on May 5th, 2007 · Comments (9)

I really thought Worm Killer Wang was going to get the perfect game today. But, actually, my early thoughts in this game were not only on him.

Just at the start of the game, I heard John Sterling say (on the radio) that opponents had batted .492 against Jeff Weaver, so far this season (coming into the game). Yes, four-ninety-two. When I heard that, my first thought was “Now, watch, this S.O.B. is going to handcuff the Yankees today.” And, it looked like it was happening…as Weaver kept the Yankees in check for five…before he blew up in the sixth (and New York put the game on ice).

Back to Wang, once he got through six, I started to think about how cool it would be to have the Cinco de Mayo perfecto…as it would be like Rags’ no-hitter on July 4th (1983). The event overlap with the holiday would give the pitching achievement even greater recall connective power.

Once Worm Killer reached the seventh, all I could think was “Don’t let me hear the words ‘Past-a-diving Jeter.’ Don’t let me hear the words ‘Past-a-diving Jeter’…” But, Ben Broussard put an end to all that the next inning.

Bummer. Still, a helluva game by Wang today. He’s something special.

Comments on May 5th vs. The Mariners

1. May 5th, 2007 | 9:47 pm

well let’s not go crazy here…it WAS the mariners after all. these are games we SHOULD win.

2. JeterReggieGuidry
      May 5th, 2007 | 10:03 pm

Corey, that is a prototypical unappreciative Yankee game comment — “these are game we SHOULD win”.

The guy nearly pitched a PERFECT GAME. Come on…

Let’s show a little enthusiasm here. He was amazing. And I’m sure I dont need to tell you, we need him a DESPERATELY.

3. Yu Hsing Chen
      May 5th, 2007 | 10:58 pm

agh, that HR mighta stayed in a non short porched stadium? (not like it mattered as the past a diving Jeter happened on the next pitch anyway)

Still though, Wang has saved this team so many times over the last 2 year.

4. baileywalk
      May 6th, 2007 | 1:22 am

That home run wasn’t hit over the short porch (it was right-center and almost traveled 400 feet).

I REALLY thought Wang was going to do it after he struck out Ibanez to end the seventh after going 0-3. When he K’d him swinging, I thought to myself, “This is it… he’s going to do it.”

It looks like Wang might have tired just a bit. He was around 100 pitches when he gave up that homer.

There’s nothing more nerve-wracking than watching a legit perfect-game chance. I sit there and start to pull my hair out after the sixth inning.

It’s interesting to note that Wang’s velocity was down today (both guns had him around 90-93, with the occasion 94-95), but he was getting a lot more swings and misses. He only had the four Ks, but the ball seemed to have less predictable movement today.

The bottom line, though, is that the Yankees need good pitching, and hopefully Pettitte, Mussina and Wang can keep it going. It’s also good that Wang went eight, since we know the bullpen will be getting a workout over the next two days.

5. May 6th, 2007 | 4:20 am

I was at the game.

Hell of a game to be at.

I wrote a brief description of it at my own blog…titled, appropriately enough, Almost Perfect.

Tomorrow..err…today…I’ll post some pictures.

6. Yanks26
      May 6th, 2007 | 7:54 am

The home run to Broussard was the only change up that Wang threw and Posada called all day.

7. Pete
      May 6th, 2007 | 10:40 am

Stupid FOX had to jinx it by playing the Wells and Cone clips…

I hate FOX.

8. JeremyM
      May 6th, 2007 | 11:30 am

What a great game, Wang is such a class guy that it’s really a priviledge to have him on the team. Very easy to root for. All that said, what was Posada thinking about calling for a change! I don’t know that he gets the perfect game anyway, but you pick that time to have him throw his first change of the game? Go with what brought you to the dance. Anyway, still a great game from Wang, when the team needed it.

9. baileywalk
      May 6th, 2007 | 12:18 pm

Yeah, very weird that he hadn’t thrown a change all day. Wang’s change is effective, but if Posada didn’t call for it once all day, that means he didn’t think he needed it. There’s nothing wrong with surprising a hitter with a pitch he hasn’t seen all day, but a change is easy to hang over the plate, and that’s what Wang did. Posada’s quote was also sort of odd. He said something like “I thought he was trying to time Wang’s fastball.” Jorge, it’s the eighth inning! They’ve all been trying to time his fastball — and no one did.

It definitely sucks that Wang got beat on his third-best pitch. Oh, well…

Wang and Hughes make a nice one-two punch for our future.

And Fox was really ridiculous yesterday. I mute the sound on Fox games, because they drive me nuts. These guys went to the perfect game talk in the fifth inning.

And I hope they’re proud that they interrupted a nearly perfect game to watch Barry Bonds get an intentional walk. And they didn’t even cut away from the intentional walk — they made us watch the whole thing while Wang pitched to Ichiro.