• May 13th @ The Mariners

Posted by on May 13th, 2007 · Comments (11)

SparkyandGenAdmission.jpg

We took the kids to go see Chris Hoiles’ York Revolution take on Sparky Lyle’s Somerset Patriots today. It was a very fun Mother’s Day at the ballpark.

We stopped for dinner out, on the way home, after the Patriots’ game. The place we chose had both the Yankees game and ESPN News on flat screen TVs. It was there that I got to see the final few innings of the Yankees game – along with the ESPN News’ highlights of that 9th inning today up at Fenway.

Man, it was a good thing we had a great day at the ballpark in Somerset…because the residual happy vibe from that helped offset what I saw on the big TV screens while eating dinner.

You know, at the end of April, I said that the Yankees needed to use the first 13 games on May to make a statement…via a “break” in their schedule. What did they do? New York went 8-5 in those games. That’s not very impressive. At this rate, it would not shock me to see the Yankees be 15 games out of first place by June 4th – because the Yanks are letting games slip and Boston never loses.

And, now, with Clemens on board, you cannot even fire Torre to try and shake up the team…since Clemens has reportedly said that Torre was a big reason why he decided to come back to New York. Or, can you?

The whole thing is a mess. Is it too early to start saying “Wait till next year”?

Comments on May 13th @ The Mariners

1. May 13th, 2007 | 9:24 pm

Yes, it is too early to call it a season. It is barely mid-May. Remember the Bronx Zoo year when we were actually 14 back and came through. The Sawx are at their best, which means they will falter later. We are at our worst which means something good will come, soon. There is nothing wrong here that a 10-12 game winning streak can’t cure, and we have the arms and the guns to do it!

2. Jen
      May 13th, 2007 | 10:47 pm

Hey Steve, did you know that Carl Everett is playing with the Long Island Ducks this year? Between Carl, Pete Rose Jr. and Danny Graves, the heckling possibilities are endless.

3. May 13th, 2007 | 11:42 pm

^ Let’s not also forget Edgardo Alfonzo… wow…

4. SteveB
      May 13th, 2007 | 11:54 pm

What good would firing Torre do at this point?

5. Santino53
      May 14th, 2007 | 9:09 am

Don’t conveniently fall back on history waiting for a Sox collapse . This edition, unlike others in the past is built on strong pitching, starting and relief. That is harder to catch because long losing streaks are less likely.So thi may be the summer of wild card watching.

6. dave24s
      May 14th, 2007 | 9:15 am

Hey Steve, where are we now compared to where we were in 2005?

Have you done a side by side comparison of 2005 and 2007 yet? I’d be curious to know because I forgot most of the first half of 05.

7. May 14th, 2007 | 10:05 am

~~~What good would firing Torre do at this point? ~~~

Isn’t that what you do in baseball when the team is under-achieving?

Dave – I’m working on something now, WRT, some historical perspective on today’s standings.

8. May 14th, 2007 | 10:07 am

BTW, this time, in 2005, the Yankees were 5 1/2 back of 1st.

May 14th, 2007 | 3:30 pm

=================
      When was the last time the Yanks put together that kind of run?

May 14th, 2007 | 3:32 pm

And this kind of reminds me of the 1992 Mets, who swore that the hot streak that would push them to 1st was right around the corner.

11. antone
      May 14th, 2007 | 7:28 pm

I swear I am rooting for the wrong team, I swear you guys sound like Red Sox fans. I might be crazy but this team has WAY more upside than downside. I think they have hit their bottom right now and they have been playing better.

They were 8-5 which is .600 baseball and they should be 9-4 which is .692 baseball, since they got robbed of a game with Seattle.

I know it’s Texas and Seattle but still it’s baseball and these things average out over the season. You guys are forgetting in 2004 when Boston won they were like a .500 team right after the all-star break and we aren’t even close to that point in the season yet.

Plus, I don’t know about you guys but I did not expect this team to win it all this year. If they had won this year or they do win I will probably have a similar feeling to how I felt when they won in 1996.