• Hilligoss Almost Half-Way To Joe-Dee

Posted by on May 22nd, 2007 · Comments (8)

From the PA SportsTicker -

Mitchell Hilligoss, a New York Yankees farmhand playing at Charleston, South Carolina in the Class A South Atlantic League, extended his minor league season-high hitting streak to 27 straight games with two doubles on Monday at Columbus.

The 21-year-old leadoff hitter is 42-for-112 (.375) during the stretch with nine doubles, a triple and 11 RBI. He is batting .325 with 11 doubles, no homers and 17 RBI for the season.

Hilligoss, a converted shortstop who has made 13 errors in 40 games, finished 10th in the Class A New York-Penn League last season with a .292 average. The lefthanded hitter was MVP of the league All-Star Game on August 16.

Back in October 2006, I shared that “…Hilligoss’ forté is getting the barrel of the bat to the ball consistently, driving balls to the gaps and driving pitchers crazy with an advanced two-strike approach.”

It’s nice to see him keep it up. At this rate, his Bronx ETA should be 2010. If A-Rod does opt out after this season, maybe the Yankees only need a two-year patch at third before Mitch is ready? Boggs-Lite anyone?

Comments on Hilligoss Almost Half-Way To Joe-Dee

1. snowball003
      May 22nd, 2007 | 4:47 pm

Ok, so not at all related to this post, but I’m bringing my Parisian friend to the game on Friday and was trying to think of the least complicated way to explain baseball to her. She knows the Yankees, and when I was disappointed about a loss, she sais, “but don’t the Yankees ALWAYS win?” I guess we know the European view of the Yankees….

So she knows the team, she has a Jeter shirt, and she is so excited–she wants a foam finger. But I’m not sure she totally understands the rules of baseball and would like to know the easiest way to explain. I was thinking about it and realized the rules are pretty confusing, but we all get it just cause we’re used to it.

2. May 22nd, 2007 | 4:59 pm

Simple: It’s the goal of the pitcher to retire the batters without them reaching base safely. It’s the goal of the fielders to help the pitcher retire batters. It’s the goal of the batters to reach base safely until they circle the bases, completely, to score a run.

Each time a pitcher retires three batters, the two teams switch places – where the batters take the field and the fielders come in to hit.

The team that scores more runs than the other one – after each team has 9 turns pitching – wins the game.

Lastly, of course, it’s only a good game when the Yankees win.

3. snowball003
      May 22nd, 2007 | 5:18 pm

That is a pretty simple way to explain it.

I guess if she gets confused as to how someone got out, we can explain that when we get to it. I just remember at the sox game I went to prior to last night there was a British man and his kid and they didn’t get why people were walking or why it was a strike even if they hit the ball.

Crazy Europeans.

4. Jen
      May 22nd, 2007 | 5:42 pm

I tried explaining baseball to a few Englishmen at a game once (back when they were still serving beer in the bleachers). They had a bit of trouble grasping the fair/foul concept since they were used to cricket, where everything is in play. But after a few beers the conversation turned to Black Adder and Red Dwarf anyway. They quickly picked up on the heckling aspect of the game though and started doing some soccer chants when one of the Blue Jays made an error.

5. May 22nd, 2007 | 5:46 pm

Convert him into a catcher!

6. snowball003
      May 22nd, 2007 | 5:50 pm

That’s funny. Unfortunately, I don’t think they follow really anything but Soccer in France. Football. Whatever. My friend just moved to Australia and found that learning cricket wasn’t so hard having a knowledge of baseball. I think she’ll have a good time whether she knows what’s going on or not.

Come to think of it, I have american friends who don’t get anything. i brought a friend to a game a couple weeks ago, and she got really mad when someone on the Rangers stole a base. she wanted to know why they were cheating.

7. The Scout
      May 22nd, 2007 | 9:50 pm

Do you really want a third baseman who hits no home runs and appears to have cast-iron hands? I think his future lies at another position.

8. May 22nd, 2007 | 11:16 pm

~~~Do you really want a third baseman who hits no home runs and appears to have cast-iron hands? ~~~

I’m 99% sure that’s what they said about Boggs as a rookie too.