• May 21st vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on May 22nd, 2007 · Comments (15)

We’ll start with the traffic report. It took me 90 minutes to drive 55 miles into the game today. But, that was with me leaving at 4:15 pm for a 7:00 pm game. Had I left later, I’m sure it would have taken longer – considering how many empty seats could be found inside the Stadium during the first inning or two this evening. Going home was a little better: 80 minutes to travel 52 miles. However, I had a couple of breaks there. First, I stayed until the last out of the game – and many, many, people left before that. Secondly, I drove out of the parking garage against the direction arrows and that led me to an exit that everyone seemed to forget…and I saved a ton of time that would normally be wasted sitting, snaked in line, trying to get out of the garage. (I also drove a tad over the speed limit on the NJT and GSP – given it was so late in the night as I was driving home.) So, other than the price I’ll pay for leaving work early, overall, it was not all that bad coming and going today – even with it being a Sox game.

I attended this game with frequent WasWatching.com commentor “MJ” – and that also made going to this game a pleasant event. “MJ” is an astute and zealous Yankees fan. And, what’s not to like about going to a game with an astute and zealous Yankees fan?

Lastly, on top of the favorable traffic results and top-notch game-mate, and, before I forget to mention it…the Yankees won!

Looks like I got the hat trick.

There were so many positives in this game. A-Rod’s homer in the first primed the pump. Wang’s whiff of Youkilis in the second took Jeter off the hook. Cano’s two-out triple in the fifth was clutch. Bruney getting Manny on strikes in the seventh was a huge moment. Cano’s play on Lugo’s grounder in the eighth saved the day.

I was surprised to see Torre have Wang come out to start the seventh – given his pitch count. And, during the seventh and the eighth it seemed like Torre had the reliever-go-round running on full steam. Most importantly, from the fourth inning until the last out, this game had a nervous feel to it…as it seemed like Boston was too close for comfort, in terms of the overall score.

But, in the end, the win is the only thing that matters. The Yankees needed this win. I knew it. “MJ” knew it. The polite Boston fan sitting in front of me wearing the “Wakefield” road uniform knew it. The concession stand vendors throughout the Loge who told me the Stadium was out of hot pretzels by the sixth inning today knew it. The many, many, young drunk fans at the game tonight knew it. The nuts involved in the half-dozen (or so) fights which broke out in the stands this evening knew it. And, the Yankees knew it – as did the Red Sox.

This is now two big wins in a row for the Yankees. Can they make it into three? We’ll know for sure in about 24 hours. Until then, enjoy this one Yankees fans. Enjoy the stuffing out of it.

Comments on May 21st vs. The Red Sox

1. snowball003
      May 22nd, 2007 | 1:28 am

I was actually sitting behind a group of very nice, very polite Boston fans. I was surprised. They, of course, left early.

This one was a long one–but it didn’t seem that long to me until I looked at the clock and realized. Was it that way to you too, or was that just me?

2. DFLNJ
      May 22nd, 2007 | 8:14 am

Sitting where I was, way out in the Left Field bleachers, it felt really, reaaalllly long.

That was my first Yankees/ Red Sox game. Are there always that many fights?

3. MJ
      May 22nd, 2007 | 8:42 am

Steve – First of all, it was a pleasure meeting you and getting to talk baseball (and life) with you last night. You’re a good guy, your Yankee credentials are top-notch, and I had a good time at the ballpark.

As for the game, Torre’s bullpen management seemed a bit peculiar in the 7th inning but, besides, that, there were absolutely no negatives in the game. Johnny Damon, Bobby Abreu, Jason Giambi, and Robinson Cano all had productive at-bats which really made the lineup seem…well, Yankee-like for the first time in a few weeks. And Wang, who seemed to have minor issues with his command, more or less did his thing. He got big K’s when he needed them and got that absolutely gorgeous 5-4-3 DP to end the 6th in a huge spot in the game. Great night for baseball!

Finally, DFLNJ, last night seemed like a blast from the past. There used to be a lot more fights and I was surprised that the chippy, old-school atmosphere of Yankee-Red Sox games made an appearance. The past few NYY-Bos games I’ve been to have had buzz but no fighting in the stands.

4. Garcia
      May 22nd, 2007 | 9:17 am

Great game indeed. I saw intensity last night, I even saw our image conscious captain clapping and cheering on his teammates. I found it strange, given that he’s not a good leader because he doesn’t get in the player’s faces and simply leads by example.

It’s funny how the negative stories subside when a team wins 2 in a row. I can see them starting right back up again as soon as they lose their next game.

I find all the negative stuff and speculation highly annoying. I really hope this team starts to turn the corner so we can focus on baseball and not all that sappy emotional crap that’s meant for shows like The View, Oprah, and what you’ll see on Lifetime.

I’m ready to watch some f’ing baseball like last night.

Finally, here’s a trade rumor that I didn’t see coming:

I don’t like it. I don’t care for Figgins or Molina.

5. rbj
      May 22nd, 2007 | 9:32 am

I had no real problem with the bullpen usage last night. Torre actually had Wang out there at over 100 pitches. Then when he got into trouble, Myers came in to get Ortiz out — which is why the Yankees signed him in the first place — then Bruney. Only hiccup was Bruney getting into trouble, necessitating Proctor, but only for 5 pitches. Heck, even Farns did his job.

So, was Proctor looking to get another 4 game suspension (& time off) by plunking Cora?

6. May 22nd, 2007 | 9:57 am

The game was about 30 minutes longer than I expected. Both Wang and Wakefield threw a lot of pitches early. That didn’t help with the clock.

I think I saw more fights last night than in the last six Yanks-Sox games that I’ve seen, combined. The Red Sox having a ten-something-game lead probably had a lot to do with the set-ups on the fights. Pissed off Yankees fans and cocky Sox fans, beer, and the Bronx are a bad mix.

MJ – the pleasure was all mine! And, like I said last night, with the win, you’re officially on the “good luck charm” list – so, we’ll be doing a game again…sometime…I promise.

7. May 22nd, 2007 | 10:20 am

One game at a time, of course, but any win tonight would make for a really fired up crowd Wednesday with Public Enemy No. 1 on the mound for the Sux.

It would give us the potential for a nice, little, four-game, confidence-boosting mini-run against teams our fans want to beat most. God, am I really talking like this after a two-game winning streak?!

The crowd during Sux-Yanks games, specifically in the upper deck, is antithesis to everything great about Yankee Stadium and baseball in general. I enjoy my one or two overpriced beers a game, but games against the Sux and those against, say, the Angels, are two different animals. Behavior is absolutely appalling and even depressing.

I feel sorry for any parent who brings a kid a game against Boston.

8. Jen
      May 22nd, 2007 | 10:22 am

There seemed to be a lot less Boston fans in attendance than there have been recently. I guess being a Monday night game had something to do with that.

9. May 22nd, 2007 | 10:51 am

You’re right Paul. It would be hard for me to explain the “Boston sucks!” chants to my 3- and 5-year old. It will be a while before they see a Boston game.

Jen – I noticed that too. I think Monday was the key. They tend to bus them in – no kidding – for the Friday and weekend games. Really, I’ve seen the buses.

10. snowball003
      May 22nd, 2007 | 11:32 am

I was at all 3 of the Sox/Yankee games at the Stadium this season–and there were a LOT more fights. I was in the left field bleachers for all of them–this game I was in the right field. From the left field bleachers, I could see both corners of the tier. That’s where most of the fights were. I did not notice very many fights last night–meanwhile I saw 2 different pairs of fighters get nightsticked at the game Andy Pettitte pitched.

It was a good game last night. Everyone seemed to be trying.

11. baileywalk
      May 22nd, 2007 | 11:43 am

Yankee fans are chippy these days. There were fights at the Mets games, too. I guess being this far back makes the Yankee fan throw punches first and ask questions later when he gets insulted.

It’s also interesting to hear someone who was at the game say there weren’t as many Red Sox fans there as usual. When Youkilis came up or when he got a hit, the “Youuuuuuuu” chant was incredibly loud. At the start of the game, it felt like we were in Boston.

Wang had a weird game last night. More Ks than usual, more sliders than usual, but not as many ground balls and a higher pitch count. It was a nice way to throw off the Sox, but he’s definitely better in his normal style.

Torre was SO CLOSE to having a good night. But then he just couldn’t help himself. He HAD to bring Proctor in after throwing two innings the night before. As noMaas put it, Bruney gave up a “fifty-foot tape-measure shot” that he made an error on, and Torre predictably summoned Proctor. Proctor hit a man and then almost blew the game (but Cano saved him with a nice play). Torre is a panic-er and he apparently doesn’t FULLY trust Bruney for some reason. Torre seems set on having Farnsworth be the eighth-inning guy, but I would have Proctor, Bruney and Farns working that inning — choosing them based on rest or matchups or whatever else. Bruney is the best reliever in that ‘pen, but Torre sure doesn’t seem to think so.

With the the last Mets game and this game, there’s an entirely new feel about this team. Amazing what two good wins can do. Now Moose has to step up and have a good game.

12. snowball003
      May 22nd, 2007 | 11:50 am

I like Bruney too. There’s something sexy about enducing swinging strikes. Aside from that hitting Sosa in the head incident, I’ve never really seen an innning I didn’t like from him. Even one of those games against Oakland where he lost it in the 13th inning or whatever it was, he still didn’t seem to make too many mistakes–just get unlucky.

13. May 22nd, 2007 | 12:13 pm

~~~When Youkilis came up or when he got a hit, the “Youuuuuuuu” chant was incredibly loud. ~~~

I think that’s because the Yankees fans don’t boo him, like Manny and Papi, and the damn chant carries easy when there’s no other noise. The 3 Sox fans in front of me did it early in the game, and it seemed to carry. But, for sure, I saw less Sox fans around me. I want to say it was at least 1/2 less than recently.

14. DFLNJ
      May 22nd, 2007 | 12:49 pm

~~~But, for sure, I saw less Sox fans around me. I want to say it was at least 1/2 less than recently.~~~

That’s interesting. I remember saying to my wife that there were more Boston fans than I had expected. I didn’t realize that was fewer than normal.

And I have to agree on not taking kids to the game. There was a young (around 4 or 5 year old) kid in front of me, and he definitely learned a new vocabulary last night. Hell, I think I learned a few new ways to swear.

15. Jen
      May 22nd, 2007 | 2:06 pm

I must have been in the most sedate section of the entire Stadium (rivalry-wise). Only a handful of Bosox fans, and they kept to themselves. And the Yankee fans were well behaved. I guess it helped that the Yanks took the lead early. It was easily the least annoying Yankee/Red Sox game I’ve been to in a few years. The worst part of the night was the lack of women’s bathrooms available in the Loge section.