• Ten To Forget – Or At Least Try To…

Posted by on May 24th, 2007 · Comments (16)

Chairman Mao and the Mad Cow takes a look at the “the top 10 worst Yankees of the past few seasons.” Here’s my list, since 2001:

10. Octavio Dotel
    9. Felix Heredia
    8. Gabe White
    7. John Flaherty
    6. Rondell White
    5. Kevin Brown/Javier Vazquez (tie)
    4. Enrique Wilson
    3. Tony Womack
    2. Carl Pavano
    1. Jeff Weaver

Now, that’s an ugly group. Why do I have a feeling that Kei Igawa and Doug Mientkiewicz might crack this group soon?

I would have included guys like Terrence Long, Brandon Knight, Todd Greene, Sidney Ponson, Ron Coomer, Juan Acevedo, Matt Lawton, Darrell May, Craig Wilson, Tim Redding, Todd Zeile, Donovan Osborne, and Alberto Castillo – but, most of them barely played while they were with the Yankees.

Comments on Ten To Forget – Or At Least Try To…

1. May 24th, 2007 | 3:08 pm

7 Gary Sheffield 79
      T8 Bernie Williams 73
      T8 Mike Mussina 73
      10 Alfonso Soriano 58

3. Garcia
      May 24th, 2007 | 3:16 pm

Steve – I’m actually starting to like Mienckciziz, I don’t think he’s going to be that good but I don’t think he’s going to be so bad that he’ll on that list. I think his glove has been sick at first.

Your opinion has not changed w/ Mieickizetz?

4. May 24th, 2007 | 3:34 pm

Ross Gload -2
      Aubrey Huff -3
      Doug Mientkiewicz -4
      Richie Sexson -6
      Sean Casey -6
      Paul Konerko -7

The guy is still a terrible option with the stick.

5. JJay
      May 24th, 2007 | 3:47 pm

He’s not there for his stick. He’s there so Giambi’s bat can get in the line-up without having to play the field.

I’m with Garcia. He’s starting to grow on me a bit too. He seems to have some fire and passion in him and I know that doesn’t show up in the box score but I think it’s good for the team. I still think Phelps should be getting more AB’s though.

6. Ed_The_3rd
      May 24th, 2007 | 3:53 pm

Dotel? I’m not debating his ineptitude, but we’re talking about a guy who pitched 10 innings in September coming off of TJ surgery. The fact that he was “projected” to show up in June/July and actually contribute at some point didn’t help, but I think Dotel was just an attempt at getting an inside track on someone who was once a very, very good reliever.

Dotel out, Bubba Crosby in…Stinnett could probably find a home somewhere on that list, too.

7. Garcia
      May 24th, 2007 | 3:59 pm

I agree, Phelps should be getting more at-bats.

8. christopher
      May 24th, 2007 | 4:14 pm

How about adding Charles Gipson – didn’t he get picked off in his first 3 pinch-running opportunities?

9. j
      May 24th, 2007 | 4:15 pm

I think you have to move Kevin Brown up there on that list. Sure Womack sucked, but Kevin Brown came in with higher expectations.

They need to be weighted based on their expectations.

Also, don’t forget to keep a seat warm for Kei “Single A” Igawa

10. TK_NYY
      May 24th, 2007 | 4:28 pm

Phelps is a better hitter then Minky, but he’s far from great.

It may just be me, but I feel like every time he starts at first, he misses at least one play that Minky would have made. I like having a strong glove at 1st.

11. Andrew
      May 24th, 2007 | 4:47 pm

Scott Erickson needs to be on the list instead of Dotel. One of the most painful relievers to watch, because you know he doesn’t even have the ability to get anyone out, and yet he still takes so long between pitches.

12. May 24th, 2007 | 4:52 pm

You hurt Wil Nieves’ feelings by excluding him from this list.

13. Sadecki
      May 24th, 2007 | 6:16 pm

I don’t understand why Cory Lidle gets a bye.

14. May 24th, 2007 | 7:03 pm

Who’s giving Lidle a bye?

He just wasn’t bad enough, or bad long enough, to make the list. He only had -4 RSAA with the Yankees.

15. Ken
      May 24th, 2007 | 10:19 pm

No Karim Garcia? No Steve Karsay? I had no idea Enrique Wilson was actually “that” bad….I knew he was bad, but RCAA/RSAA is just nuts.

On a side note, who knew Giambi was “that” good?

16. May 25th, 2007 | 2:31 pm

I’ve known Giambi was that good. That’s what happens when one constantly checks the RCAA figures.