• May 25th vs. The Angels

Posted by on May 25th, 2007 · Comments (18)

Regardless of the bad outcome tonight, I want the Yankees to give Tyler Clippard (at least) one more start – rather than making a call on him based on this latest game. I still think he can still hold his own at this level. But, you never know what Torre and Cashman may do with his turn in the rotation.

I want to give Matt DeSalvo a buddy pass on this one tonight too. It’s been eight days since he last pitched in a game. That’s too long. Of course, for a guy like him, he’s not going to have any command with a lay-off like that one.

Luis Vizcaíno? Well, I’m beginning to believe he’s a cat person – because he’s been “putting out the fire with gasoline” just about every time out.

I’ll be at the game tomorrow. I hope the Yankees give a little better effort in that contest.

Here’s a fact for you: The Yankees will have to win every game left in May to have a record over .500 on June 1st. (All those wins would put them one game over the mark.) The last time the Yankees were not a .500 team on June 1st? That was back in 1995. However, that season was not a full season. The last time the Yankees were not a .500 team on June 1st – when it was a full season – was 1991.

The Yankees finished 1991 with a record of 71-91 (which left them 20 games out of first place).

Comments on May 25th vs. The Angels

1. snowball003
      May 26th, 2007 | 1:02 am

Not the best game for your French friend who just got to Newark at 2:30. By the time the game ended, it was past 4am, her time.

She caught on pretty quickly though–she did all the chants, but when the bleacher creatures were doing role call, she wanted to know why they were the only ones that knew “that song.”

She also accused someone leading off 2nd of cheating. I love foreigners.

2. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2007 | 1:05 am

How does anyone expect the Yankees to win with Torre making in-game decisions? He’s beyond horrendous. I know he has massive man-love for “Matty” DeSalvo, but taking Clippard out after four innings is inexcusable. There’s no way that if it hadn’t been Clippard, and it wasn’t his little boyfriend DeSalvo, that Torre ever would have pulled this move. I’ve been repeating that I don’t think they should fire Torre now, because firing a manager mid-season is not a good thing to do, but I’ve changed my mind. They just can’t win with this guy. Not only does DeSalvo come in and blow the game, but the Yankees had to blow out the bullpen too (using Villone for more than one inning and wasting Proctor for an inning).

People will say Clippard was getting banged around. He’s wasn’t. Damon killed him with his atrocious defense. For only his second big-league start, I think Clip looked fine. He looks a lot like his counterpart tonight, Jered Weaver (90ish fastball aided by a funky delivery, good secondary pitches, goes after hitters, etc.).

What Clip looks like is someone who’s going to go out there and give you a decent start every time he takes the ball. Which you can’t say about DeSalvo. Sure, DeSalvo hasn’t pitched in a long time, and Torre did him no favors bringing him in right there, but that’s who DeSalvo is — a pitcher with average stuff and no control. He never should have been in that game, and there’s no excuse for taking Clippard out after only four (and warming up the bullpen in the third!).

I can’t stand Torre. I don’t care how melodramatic it sounds — I just cannot stand the man. Maybe firing him is the best solution.

Abraham — the ultimate Torre apologist — is trying to push Farnsworth out of town by posting false Farns-to-Philly rumors. I hope they’re true and the Phillies take Vizcaino along with him. Maybe being back in the NL will straighten those guys out. Then the Yanks can bring up Britton and someone else.

This “L” goes primarily to Torre, with assists by Damon and DeSalvo.

3. snowball003
      May 26th, 2007 | 1:25 am

I completely agree. When I saw how Clippard was pitching, I was happy with it, but I knew that Torre was going to take him out. I don’t think there would have been such a massacre out there if it were him rather than DeSalvo and Vizcaino. I still like DeSalvo though. Though now I don’t know how well he’d do as a bullpen guy.

There really wasn’t a need to take him out in the 4th. They were hitting–but there weren’t a lot of awful hits. He did not deserve the loss on this one. That win/loss thing irks the crap out of me sometimes. Vizcaino blew it big time. They should have thrown an L in there for him–especially since one of his wins was bullshit. I don’t recall which game it was, but he lost the lead for Pettitte, then the Yankees regained it the following 1/2 inning, giving him the win. Nonsense.

This is the last time I post at 1:20 am and babble incessantly.

4. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2007 | 1:55 am

This is the last time I post at 1:20 am and babble incessantly.
      ———

Babbling incessantly at 1 o’clock in the morning is what blogs are all about.

5. snowball003
      May 26th, 2007 | 6:41 am

Babbling incessantly at 1 o’clock in the morning is what blogs are all about.
      —————–
      GOOD POINT.

I guess thinking logically at 1:20 am is not one of my strong points.

6. JohnnyC
      May 26th, 2007 | 9:49 am

More and more, it looks like Cash is taking the fall for this (and he is undoubtedly partly to blame). But I think this is an exquisite irony that Brian will hopefully appreciate if not learn from. He is being fired essentially for not having the stones to fire Torre. Simple as that. The irony is in the fact that Cashman, if he had his druthers, would rather have Joe Girardi in the manager’s seat. But he wouldn’t pull the trigger because of fearing the repercussions from sacking the man-God Torre. Cashman knows Abraham outweighs him by a good 150 pounds and the guy would porbably sit on him if he actually fired Torre.

7. Santino53
      May 26th, 2007 | 10:34 am

JohnnyC hit it out of the park. Cash is taking the dignified perp walk almost as an audition for his next gig.

Proctor brought in with a four run deficit which might as well have been twelve? Joe, this is why
      Sturtze and Quantrill are out of baseball.

8. Garcia
      May 26th, 2007 | 11:24 am

I agree that Torre might have had a quick hook on Clippard, but did you guys not think that the ceiling was going to come crashing down on him any inning? Every ball hit was smoked. There wasn’t a routine ball hit all game from him.

But it is Torre’s fault. I understand.

9. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2007 | 12:23 pm

He is being fired essentially for not having the stones to fire Torre.
      ——

That’s exactly right.

“Every ball hit was smoked. There wasn’t a routine ball hit all game from him.”

I didn’t know pop-ups could be smoked. Two of the “doubles” were a result of Damon’s bad calves.

Are you deliberately exaggerating or what? I mean, you didn’t see ONE routine ball in that game? Dribblers in the infield, lazy fly balls, pop-ups.

Clip gave up a home run. And he wasn’t Santana out there (he’ll never be that). But he minimized damage twice. And it wasn’t like he was falling apart. What could it have hurt to go one more inning? And why was the bullpen warming up in the third? Torre was just looking to take him out of the game.

No, it’s not ALWAYS Torre’s fault, but sometimes he does make mistakes. He’s not infallible. On this night he took out a pitcher too soon and DeSalvo rewarded him with the inability to throw strikes and the game was over. Torre’s not the first person to make a bad move (the reason I object to the move is because it seemed to be based on his personal feelings toward the players and not what was best for the team).

10. Garcia
      May 26th, 2007 | 12:31 pm

Two of the “doubles” were a result of Damon’s bad calves.

—————

One of the balls was one that Damon should have caught, it was the liner that hit off the front of his glove. But the two doubles were well hit balls. They were just out of his reach, but hardly routine and it didn’t seem like Damon was hampered by his bad calf.

We agree that Torre had a quick hook, but can you honestly say that you had confidence in Clip to go back out there in the 5th and shut them down? I really felt like any inning he was going to give up a crooked number.

The biggest thing Clip had going for him is that he didn’t walk a batter.

If you want to look at it on the bright side, we all agree the Yanks need to take 2 of 3. This was the one they lost and they’ll win the next two.

11. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2007 | 1:11 pm

——-

I don’t know about shutting them down, but I had confidence he had another inning in him, and I certainly have more confidence in Clip than DeSalvo and Vizcaino.

More and more, I find NoMaas the most logical voice on the ‘Net about Torre’s pitching use, so I’ll throw their quote on here for the hell of it:

Torre puts game out of reach, Yanks lose.

Would you pull a starter out of a one-run game because he allowed 3 runs in 4 innings on 76 pitches? That’s what Joe Torre did when he removed Tyler Clippard. Granted, it wasn’t a great performance by Clippard, but Torre’s hook was completely unneccessary. Clippard should have pitched at least another inning. It’s not like he was at a high pitch count. No need to pull a starter at that point.

What made the move even worse is that Torre removed Clippard to bring in the horrible Matt DeSalvo…in a one run game. We have no idea why DeSalvo is even on the roster with Chris Britton still rotting in the minors, but he is, and Joe brought him in. DeSalvo couldn’t record an out and allowed 3 ER on 2 hits and 2 BB. Then, the right-handed version of Felix Heredia was brought in and just like that, the game was over.

Nice job, Joe. Way to put your team in a big hole.

12. RICH
      May 26th, 2007 | 4:15 pm

Pop ups Baileywalk?

Your intense dislike for Torre clouds your credibility. If Torre is as bad as you claim he is it should be sufficient to be accurate in your take-downs.

Those were shots off of Clippard.

13. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2007 | 4:31 pm

Mr. Garcia suggested that every ball hit off the bat was smoked. Since some of the outs were pop-ups, I don’t consider those “smoked.”

And Damon should have caught two of the doubles, as was pointed out today on the broadcast.

And, RICH, seriously, now is not the time to pull the “you blame everything on Torre” card — I’m hardly the only one making these statements.

14. RICH
      May 26th, 2007 | 5:29 pm

Baileywalk,

I don’t remember even hinting you’re the only one making anti-Torre statements. Where did that come from?

Since I think a lot of your opinions are worthwhile reading all I was mentioning was YOUR opinions lose a lot of relevance TO ME because of your constant Torre bashing, just as Steve’s impact TO ME lose relevance when he’s in an “A-Rod has caused all of the problems in Darfur” streak of threads.

15. baileywalk
      May 26th, 2007 | 9:08 pm

I try to back up my anti-Torre-ish with substance. I don’t blame him for things outside of his control.

I think he makes some really odd moves, especially when it comes to pitchers (I watch other teams too and I just don’t see these repeated errors of judgement).

I don’t think Torre is the Yankees’ only problem. Today, for instance, when his pitcher gave him eight solid innings and he wasn’t forced into make decisions, he was fine. Today wasn’t about Torre — it was about the offense (and a bad strike-three call, but let’s not go there).

Torre has his moments. But I think his flaws outweigh any positives he has.

I only pointed out that I’m not alone in these sentiments because a majority opinion usually adds weight to someone’s judgement (so it’s not just one lone voice screaming in the dark, so to speak).

16. snowball003
      May 26th, 2007 | 9:58 pm

baileywalk–

I also tend to agree with much of what you say. Not everything is Torre’s fault, but I’ve noticed that he is NOT the manager you want when your pitchers are faltering. While I understand there was some concern for Clippard, I don’t think he should have been taken out. At least let him START the 5th. He couldn’t have done any worse than DeSalvo.

Can anyone explain to me why Vizcaino ever pitchers? He should be a situational pitcher–once in a while, he can get a couple people out, but I have yet to see him NOT blow up. when he comes into the game, I kiss it goodbye. I’m hoping he proves me wrong, soon.

17. RICH
      May 26th, 2007 | 10:18 pm

Well, I’ll bring this to an end because whether you meant to or not your writing just reinforced my thought and there’s no reason for you to even care what I think of your thoughts.

Since in your words any positive Torre has is outweighed by his flaws I suppose any win by the Yankees is only because they’re able to overcome Torre’s gaffes.

I’ll take you at your word when you say you “watch other teams too and I just don’t see these repeated errors of judgement” but whenever I speak with fans of other teams every one of them criticize their manager’s in game decisions.

I respect your consistency. I hope whoever the next manager of the Yankees is gets a clean slate to begin with.

18. Don
      May 27th, 2007 | 3:41 am

According to Yankee ‘fans’, who know more than anyboby else, Farnsworth should never pitch (when it counts, anyway); Vizcaino should never pitch (when it counts, anyway); DeSalvo should never come in, in long relief (when it counts, anyway). So who is Torre to use?

Then the same fans bitch & moan if Torre ‘overuses’ Proctor.

So who, exactly, should Torre bring in from the bullpen when a Clippard looks gassed? And even if Clippard had started the fifth, he wasn’t long for the game, having thrown 78 pitches in four (4) innings.

Yeah, it’s all Joe Torre’s fault the bullpen stinks.

Clueless fans.