• May 27th vs. The Angels

Posted by on May 27th, 2007 · Comments (11)

O.K., it’s the day before Memorial Day.

The Yankees are now six games below .500 (on the season). They’ve lost three in a row, seven of their last ten, and ten of their last fifteen games.

New York now trails Boston by 12.5 games in the A.L. East. (This is their largest hole since 1995 – when they were 16 games back in August.) The Yankees are also 8 games back of the A.L. Wildcard – with seven teams in front of them.

The Yankees, this season, have found every way possible to lose a ballgame. No starting pitching. No hitting when they get starting pitching. Or, maybe, like today, it’s no hitting, good starting pitching, and the bullpen that fails.

At this point, in terms of the Yankees season, well…

The dream is gone,
    and I have become,
    comfortably numb.

Comments on May 27th vs. The Angels

1. May 27th, 2007 | 7:50 pm

Just checked…in their last 34 games, the Yankees winning percentage is .382

Yes, three-eighty-two

So, for the last month-plus, they’ve played like a team that would lose 100 games in a season.

That’s just terrible.

2. brockdc
      May 27th, 2007 | 8:35 pm

Captain Hook just couldn’t resist, and he makes yet another indelible stain on the 2007 season. Mussina gives up one BB and Joe yanks him in favor of Proctor, whom we all know has never been great coming into a game with men on base.

Oh, hell – what difference does it make anyway at this point.

3. May 27th, 2007 | 9:34 pm

There’s still a way the Yankees haven’t managed to lose yet.

No losses yet on days not ending in “y.”

The key word there is “yet.” There’s still plenty of time left to pull that one off.

My guess is, it will happen next Saturdak, but if not then, then it will happen at some point in this season.

4. baileywalk
      May 27th, 2007 | 9:54 pm

Welcome to the Yankees’ ’07 season, folks! This is the way it is going to go.

Torre justifiably takes out Mussina (I think he should have left him in, but it was at least justifiable — unlike when he took out Clip after four innings). He brings in one of his most reliable relievers, and that reliever — out of NOWHERE — completely blows up.

It was simply unbelievable. Mussina was at 95 pitches. He fell apart in his last start after having a long first inning. So you can’t kill Torre for taking him out (again, I wouldn’t have, but I’m not the manager). And then Proctor — who has been steady and hasn’t been overworked lately — comes in and reverts to the Old Proctor.

The one thing I question is why Torre left Proctor out there to pitch to Figgins. Proctor gave up a double and two walks — a walk to load the bases and then a walk to bring in a run. Why leave him out there? Is he suddenly going to be able to throw a strike? If Bruney comes in one batter earlier, do we tie the game in the ninth?

Who knows. Just another tough loss. Is this team ever going to get its offense going? The Sox seems incapable of losing, and this team is losing in every possible way. If you’re not feeling pessimistic right now, you’re not paying attention.

5. brockdc
      May 28th, 2007 | 12:23 am

Bailey, good point about Torre having at least SOME reasoning behind hooking Rain Moose. Still, this was the one start this season where he had it all working (decent velocity, good differential on his changeup, excellent location, EXACT amount of days rest between starts), so I just felt he should’ve at least been given another batter at that point. But, like I said, it’s all moot anyway.

6. snowball003
      May 28th, 2007 | 12:41 am

Even my French friend, for whom this was her second game, knew taking Moose out was a bad decision. I guess I’m a good teacher because she said “he was doing awesome all day, his pitch count wasn’t high, and they were still winning. why do you change when your team is winning?”

I’ve never been anti-Torre. Even I booed him a bit today.

On a lighter note–my French friend chose, on her own, a favorite Yankee–and it wasn’t Derek Jeter like the rest of the non-baseball watching world. She loves Matsui. I think it was because for her first game, we were in the main box section right behind Matsui (the first section in fair territory) and we got to see him make all the plays. But that’s just exciting to me. I feel like a proud mama!

7. May 28th, 2007 | 9:18 am

~~~Oh, hell – what difference does it make anyway at this point.~~~

~~~If you’re not feeling pessimistic right now, you’re not paying attention.~~~

Amen brothers.

8. dave24s
      May 28th, 2007 | 10:50 am

Snowball, I’m confused:

Because I own a Jeter jersey, that makes me less of a fan?

I’ve been a Yankee fan for a very long time now and it just so happens that I am a fan of Derek Jeter, among the rest of the players. Sure, I could have gotten a Posada jersey, or a Matsui, or a Pavano jersey (joke), but I chose to support our captain.

And I’m part of the non-baseball watching world?

That’s not very fair.

9. baileywalk
      May 28th, 2007 | 12:00 pm

It looks like the team we’re really chasing right now is the Tigers. If you look at the wild card standings, I think they are the only truly legit team on it. They just happen to be playing behind the Indians, who are on a tear (shockingly, we swept those guys earlier in the year, with Igawa and Chase Wright starting two of the games).

The Yankees aren’t playing well this year, but neither are most teams. So if ever there was a year to make a second-half run and at least get in as the wild card — as others have done — this is it.

I still think paying Clemens all that money was stupid and desperate, but maybe his arrival will spark the team. I recall O’Neill mentioning that when the trading deadline came and someone was acquired, it excited the team. This isn’t exactly that, but modern time’s best right-handed pitcher should at least fan the flames a little (you’d hope anyway).

When it’s Clemens and Clippard and then Clemens and Hughes at the back of the rotation, the Yankees should have a chance to win every time they suit up.

Anyone else think DeSalvo’s over/under on runs allowed tonight is about 8?

10. snowball003
      May 28th, 2007 | 10:45 pm

Snowball, I’m confused:

Because I own a Jeter jersey, that makes me less of a fan?
      ————
      Oh no, not at all. I own 2 Jeter shirts. I have noticed, though, that people who don’t know much about baseball still know who Derek Jeter is. It’s just expected for someone to instantly recognize Jeter. The fact that she chose someone other than the obvious as her favorite (she got excited about his home run tonight when we were listening on the radio) excites me.

I have no problem with Jeter or fans of Jeter–he’s one of the greatest players I’ve ever seen–I guess I just mean that I was happy she didn’t choose her favorite based on looks or fame, but based on watching them play.

11. snowball003
      May 28th, 2007 | 10:49 pm

BTW, I saw a Pavano tshirt in a Modell’s near me. It was hidden behind the XXL Pettittes. I laughed quite a bit having seen that.