• The Johnny & Jason “No” Show

Posted by on May 28th, 2007 · Comments (11)

Two months ago, some thought that Jason Giambi and Johnny Damon would be big parts of this Yankees season. It really hasn’t worked out that way, has it?

Sure, I give them both credit for not taking the Carl Pavano route and playing their injuries into a paid summer vacation. And, Damon, when he plays, has been a productive batter this month (to date). Also, to his credit, Giambi had a great month of April before tanking this month.

However, at least to this Yankees fan, it feels like these two players have let the team down. Maybe it’s just because Damon was a no-show in April and Giambi’s been a no-show this month? Maybe it’s just because you never know, on a given day, if their bodies are going to allow them to play – and perform – as we expect from them?

Bobby Abreu and Robinson Cano get their fair share of blame for letting down the team with their performance this season. And, they deserve it. Still, I think that Damon and Giambi also deserve part of the blame as well.

If both Damon and Giambi are hitting the way you expect, at the same time, and then you mix in Jeter, A-Rod, Posada, and Matsui, it really doesn’t matter what Abreu, Cano, and the others are doing.

Yes, of course, some may think this is unfair because these two are hurt and trying to play through it. But, at the end of the day, when you’re expected to produce, and lead, and you don’t, you’ve hurt the team. And, if you’ve hurt the team, you deserved to be singled out for it.

Comments on The Johnny & Jason “No” Show

1. brockdc
      May 28th, 2007 | 8:11 pm

Who are the two players, OTHER THAN Carl Pavano, that you would drop from the roster – if you could – right now, without any further financial obligation and without anything in return?

Me? As much as I like both guys, I’d have to say Giambi and Johnny.

2. May 28th, 2007 | 11:03 pm

Abreu?

3. Pete
      May 28th, 2007 | 11:09 pm

Expunge everyone without a ring from 96-2000 and more than 3 years MLB experience.

That oughta do it.

4. brockdc
      May 28th, 2007 | 11:28 pm

But Abreu’s gone after this year. That’s 16 mil. off the books right there.

5. Pete
      May 28th, 2007 | 11:29 pm

I meant to say get rid of everyone without a ring from 96-2000 and anyone who’s got more than 3 years total MLB experience.

According to my calculations, that should leave us with Jeter, Cano, Posada, Rivera, Clemens, Pettite, Wang, Clippard & Hughes.

I make exceptions for Matsui, Bruney & Proctor. (Will Nieves gets the reverse exception – he’s gone too) Everyone else is part of the year-end fire sale. Buh-bye.

Next, purge the coaching staff of everyone but Bowa and Tony Pena – make Girardi the manager and put Bowa on the bench. Fill in the blanks with whomever suits Girardi.

Sorry Joe, it was a good run.

6. baileywalk
      May 28th, 2007 | 11:55 pm

First person on the list would be Pavano. Get the money back and forget he was ever a Yankee.

The second person would be Clemens. I loved seeing Clemens tell a reporter to bleep off tonight, but him coming here at this point is totally pointless. Yeah, yeah, maybe he sparks the team. But more likely they just continue to stink. It’s identical to his return to the ’06 Astros.

After that it would definitely be Giambi and Damon.

As others have mentioned, the keepers on this team are Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Mo, Bruney, Proctor, Cano, Wang, Hughes, Clippard, Matsui (though it’s a close call) and Melky (another close call, but I love the way he plays defense. I think Moose is a close call too, but with all the pitching the team has I would probably move on there, too.

The move this team really has to explore is trading A-Rod at the deadline. He’d probably veto any deal, but they should explore it. If I was Cashman, I would look for two things: young players that can help his own team, or whatever Texas wants for Mark Teixeira or the Marlins want for Miguel Cabrera. Unlike in past years, the Yankees actually have a good enough farm system to pull those trades off — and they can get any extra pieces they need through an A-Rod trade.

7. May 28th, 2007 | 11:59 pm

Miguel Cabrera is a fat Manny Ramirez. That’s not what the Yankees need.

8. baileywalk
      May 29th, 2007 | 12:14 am

Miguel Cabrera is a fat Manny Ramirez. That’s not what the Yankees need.
      —-

I don’t like Cabrera and I actually agree with you. I would much rather have Teixeira. But you know Cashman would grab Cabrera is a second (and it wouldn’t hurt the team, that’s for sure).

As fat as he is, from 2004-2006 (21 years old to 23 years old) he drove in 342 runs.

All things considered, he’s still a baby. I wouldn’t trade the farm for him, but Cashman no doubt wants him, and it’s hard to blame him, considering the numbers he produces.

9. antone
      May 29th, 2007 | 8:14 am

There’s nothing wrong with Cabrera. He sucks on defense but a fat Manny Ramirez can still hit ! I don’t think he’s Manny like with his antics either and he probably should be in the outfield not at third base. So if the Yankees got him, you’d probably see him in RF.

But….why would Texas want A-Rod back? and do the Yankees have anything else that would make Texas give up Texeira?

10. baileywalk
      May 29th, 2007 | 12:05 pm

11. antone
      May 29th, 2007 | 1:30 pm

Maybe you should be more specific next time…you made no mention that you were suggesting a “three-way” type of trade.

Plus, someone would basically be renting A-Rod for half a season and I can’t see him waiving his no trade clause anyway. If Cashman can flip A-Rod and his opt out clause for some players that turn into Texeira or Cabrera then more power to him.