• Giambi To D.L. – Shelley Duncan Expected To Be Called Up?

Posted by on May 31st, 2007 · Comments (10)

From Ed Price -

Jason Giambi today was placed in a protective walking boot when foot and ankle specialist William Hamilton diagnosed him with a torn plantar fascia — the tight band of muscle beneath the arch of the foot — in his left foot.

The Yankees said Giambi will go on the DL before tomorrow’s game at Boston and will be re-evaluated in three weeks. The Yankees are expected to call up Shelley Duncan, who has never played in the majors but leads the Triple-A International League with a .586 slugging percentage for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Duncan is batting .302 with 12 homers, second in the league.

Giambi had been previously diagnosed with plantar fasciaitis, which is inflammation of the plantar fascia.

Mark McGwire and Marty Cordova missed tons of time when they had plantar fasciitis. It would not shock me if Giambi ended up being done for the year now.

Then again, maybe Jason can do what Albert Pujols did for his?

Still, Tino Martinez had it in the second half of 2005 and it ended his career. Imagine if it’s the same thing for Giambi now? I hope the Yankees have an insurance policy on his contract, if that’s the case.

Well, at least we have an answer to “Question 1” now.

Comments on Giambi To D.L. – Shelley Duncan Expected To Be Called Up?

1. JeremyM
      May 31st, 2007 | 8:16 pm

Tim Duncan had this as well, and he’s playing better or at least as good as ever. Obviously, every case is different, so we shall see. And really, how many years did Tino’s career have left in it anyway? I got the impression that he knew it was his last season when he signed with the Yanks again.

2. dave24s
      May 31st, 2007 | 9:12 pm

Pete Abe is reporting that Kevin Thompson was scratched from his Scranton game. Looks like we get another dose of the K man.

3. RICH
      May 31st, 2007 | 9:17 pm

It wasn’t Tino’s plantar. Tino faced Kazmir in 2005 and then he knew it had to be his last season.

(Just kidding, Steve).

4. brockdc
      May 31st, 2007 | 10:56 pm

Looks like they’re going with K.T. instead. I realize he’s more or less AAAA caliber, but, nevertheless, I’d like to see what he could do with 200 or so at bats in The Show.

5. BronxBunter
      May 31st, 2007 | 11:53 pm

Brockdc, If K.T. gets 200 or so at bats, the Yankees are missing the playoffs. If you want to see K.T. get 200 at bats in The Show, let’s hope it’s on The Batting Practice Show or for the Pirates.

6. baileywalk
      June 1st, 2007 | 12:13 am

I guess Shelly wouldn’t have made much sense — him and Phelps are the same player.

But what is Thompson going to do? With Giambi gone, you have to figure Damon, Matsui and Abreu will DH while Melky moves around the outfield. Thompson is basically going to become a pinch-runner.

And I don’t know if the decision was made yet, but I’m hoping they send down DeSalvo and call up Britton or Ramirez.

7. brockdc
      June 1st, 2007 | 2:14 am

Bronx,

Guess I’m kind of already assuming that this is the year they won’t be playoff bound. So, that being the case, I’d like to see what some of the farm hands can do, given some consistent playing time. Call me crazy, but it gives me something to root for in an abysmal season.

8. rbj
      June 1st, 2007 | 9:20 am

As per your “Calling Numbers 25 And 53″ post, Steve, Jason wasn’t doing much this year anyway. How about moving Damon to DH (rest his body) and stick Melky in CF? Might not be a bad idea to see if Melky can be a full time major leaguer.

I would have picked “knees” in the office pool for Jason’s body part breaking down.

9. June 1st, 2007 | 9:57 am

~~~How about moving Damon to DH (rest his body) and stick Melky in CF? Might not be a bad idea to see if Melky can be a full time major leaguer.~~~

I’m hoping this is what happens. It’s a better team defense with this too.

10. antone
      June 1st, 2007 | 10:05 am

I think you’ll see Thompson maybe getting a spot start against lefties in place of Abreu if he continues to struggle, or even for Damon for that matter. Maybe DH Matsui and play Cabrera, Thompson, and Abreu in the OF when Damon sits.

Also, I think Phelps will see alot of those DH at bats, one way or another. Maybe you sit Damon and Abreu against lefties until Damon is completely healthy and Abreu starts hitting.

In a weird way it actually gives the Yankees more flexibility with Giambi out, the only problem is they need Giambi’s production right now and neither an injured Giambi or these replacements are going to give them the production they need.