• June 1st @ The Red Sox

Posted by on June 1st, 2007 · Comments (11)

Interesting game in Boston tonight.

The visiting team at Fenway wore gray uniforms with “New York” across their chests. Their manager got thrown out of the game for arguing with an umpire. And, one of their pitchers was ejected from the game for throwing up and in at a Boston batter – after a few of his teammates were hit by pitches earlier in the game.

Who are these people and what did they do with my New York Yankees?

O.K., seriously, a huge effort from Worm Killer Wang tonight. After the first three innings, I never thought he could make it past five – but, he did. And, for the record, I can understand why Youkilis was steamed – up and in can do that to a guy. Maybe Proctor should have just nailed him in the back – and left it at that?

Expect FOX to play up the brushback tomorrow…maybe enough for something else to happen and then ESPN picks it up on Sunday as well. I would not be shocked to see Schilling or Beckett try to even the score – and come inside to some Yankees batters. If that happens, it will be interesting to see how Mussina and Pettitte react back to that.

The money says Moose and Andy do nothing. Then again, maybe those strange guys in the gray uniforms will show up again – and, you never know?

Comments on June 1st @ The Red Sox

1. brockdc
      June 2nd, 2007 | 12:14 am

On the NESN feed, they showed Posada trying to mollify Youkilis. I wonder what he was saying. Maybe it was:

“Sorry, Youk. We had no intention whatsoever of going after your head like that – I don’t know what the hell’s wrong with my guy. The plan was to hit you square in the ribs.”

2. Don
      June 2nd, 2007 | 1:01 am

Anybody hear the post game on WCBS radio? What a riot, Sterling was so befuddled he kept making mistakes and had to go back several times. Hilarious, though unintentionally so.

Waldman was like a mad-woman with her report. So much phony sympathy for Youkilis. What a nag. Bosox blood still flows in her veins.

Torre and Posada, with their ‘feelings’ for Youkilis, were quite saccharine in their remarks. Tempest in a teapot.

3. June 2nd, 2007 | 1:40 am

i honestly don’t think he wanted to hit him in that spot, the count was i think 1-2? right? why waste those 3 pitches if ur gonna hit him? just hit him on the 1st pitch if thats your intention. and then to hit someone with manny and ortiz coming up makes no sense, no matter how big your lead is. I think proctor lost a hold of one there trying to put him away.

good to see torre get in the umps face, he looked like he got 20 years younger didn’t he? Im used to seeing an old lethargic man, he looked like a fiery middle aged man tonight though.

abreu two hits? oh boyyy…it could be an interesting summer.

4. baileywalk
      June 2nd, 2007 | 2:00 am

Corey, I agree with you one hundred percent Kay simply assumed that Proctor threw at Youkilis’ head, but that drama queen never stopped to think about how that assumption is totally illogical.

It’s just as Corey said it:

1) Why hit Youkilis and not Lugo? If it was simply because Cano got hit, then why go after one hitter over the other?

2) Why not just hit him with the first pitch?

3) Why would you hit someone with one out with two Yankee-killers coming up? It would be moronic — because what could happen DID happen: both Manny and Ortiz got hits.

It’s pretty obvious that Proctor wanted to bust Youkilis inside and the ball got away. Youkilis had a right to be upset, because it’s scary when a ball almost hits your head, but the idea that this was intentional makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

If you read Proctor’s lips, he essentially said the same thing.

And yes, Torre looked like a totally different person tonight. Even when he walked out of the dugout to tell the home-plate ump to check about the checked swing. He looked — for a change — AWAKE on this night.

My personal opinion: if this beanball nonsense continues on, Mussina won’t do anything while in the game, but his bullpen will (you know Farnsworth would like to beat someone up at this point), and I think Andy definitely would. I hope it doesn’t come to that, though.

5. Jen
      June 2nd, 2007 | 2:13 am

Moose and Andy may do nothing. But if Farnsworth or Bruney get in there they might do something.

And, yeah, I don’t think Proctor was going for Youk’s head or even trying to hit him on a 2-2 count with 1 out in the 9th. I think it was just an inside pitch that got away. It happens (look at when Bruney beaned Sosa, he didn’t mean to do it, it just happens). Unfortunately it happened at a very very bad time and I understand why Youk was pissed off. But I don’t think Scott meant it.

6. Jen
      June 2nd, 2007 | 2:21 am

Man, I let that preview go a little too long. What baileywalk said.

Maybe someone switched Joe’s green tea with some of this stuff.

7. Santino53
      June 2nd, 2007 | 9:38 am

I feel bad. We lost the Giambino for 5 weeks to
      possibly the season and i feel like the Yanks just upgraded. Joel Sherman makes a good point today but the bench/OF needs something better than
      Kevin Thompson.I’m hoping Cashman is working something.

June 2nd, 2007 | 11:24 am

====================
      I don’t think it was intentional either, like I don’t think Wang hitting of Lowell was intentional.

Seems many cannot understand or comprehend that pitches occasionally get away from pitchers, and not every HBP is a “message”

9. snowball003
      June 2nd, 2007 | 11:32 am

Ditto with Corey and baileywalk.

I was trying to explain this to my brother, who wasn’t watching the game, just the highlights. Proctor’s not stupid. If he wanted to hit someone, he would have gotten 2 outs like he did when he threw at the Mariners. Especially when Papi and Manny are next. He’s not an idiot, nor is he an evil person.

I agree though–the next couple games should be interesting, especially with the Fox jackasses and ESPN guys announcing.

10. rbj
      June 2nd, 2007 | 1:31 pm

A-Rod going HA!, Proctor throwing near/at Youk (I don’t think the intent was for it to be that high), Torre actually arguing & getting tossed, I think this team is starting to get a bit ornery & mean.
      Me likey.
      Just hope it’s not too late.

11. snowball003
      June 2nd, 2007 | 5:31 pm

I’m not sure they’re ornery or mean–A-Rod’s HA is just funny. I’m not sure he ever thought it would work. I don’t think that Proctor meant to hit Youkilis. As for Torre arguing–it’s about damn time.

I do like this new aggressiveness though.