• Beware Jermaine Dye

Posted by on June 4th, 2007 · Comments (7)

From the Chicago Sun-Times

A rumor that surfaced less than two weeks ago, which had the Sox exploring a deal that would send [Jermaine] Dye to the Yankees for struggling outfielder Bobby Abreu, has started to take on some life, according to one Sox source close to the situation.

Not only because Abreu is a good friend of Guillen’s — which worked out well when right-hander Freddy Garcia came over — but also because the Sox believe Abreu is a slow starter and his best baseball this season is ahead of him.

The organization also reportedly isn’t too thrilled with comments from Dye in which he came off as uncaring about where he plays.

Here’s how I see Dye’s career:

1996-1998: Terrible hitter.
    1999-2001: Pretty much pops-up out of nowhere to be a productive bat. Had, what was then, a career-year in 2000.
    2002-2004: Terrible hitter.
    2005-2006: Comes back to 1999-2001 levels – with 2006 being an off-the-charts career year for him.
    2007 (to date): Terrible hitter.

So, here, you have parts of 12 seasons in the majors – and in more than half of those seasons, Dye has been a terrible hitter. Note: Not an average hitter – but a terrible one. Basically, he’s had two super seasons (2000 and 2006) and three where he’s been O.K. with the stick (1999, 2001, 2005).

There’s too much variance there for me to be able to say Dye will help the Yankees if he joins the team this season. I’d rather take my chances and see if Abreu can get his stroke back over the remainder of the season.

Comments on Beware Jermaine Dye

1. June 4th, 2007 | 11:03 am

pass, we need abreu to start hitting because he gets on base, dye’s career OBP is 338. not what we want

2. christopher
      June 4th, 2007 | 11:47 am

Couldn’t agree more, Steve. Dye has a career OBP of .338. Abreu, in the middle of a terrible slump, still has a OBP of .331 this year. You don’t trade your 2006 team MVP for someone else’s junk. Abreu has started to come around and will be fine. Dye would be disaster as a Yankee. And he’s not exactly the second coming of Clemente in the OF.

June 4th, 2007 | 12:19 pm

===================
      I would agree

4. Don
      June 4th, 2007 | 2:06 pm

Agreed.

5. June 4th, 2007 | 3:47 pm

To say he was terrible in 2002 and 2004 is not accurate. He posted 105 and 103 OPS+ numbers, so he was average. Not terrible. Average. Can’t defend his 2003, though.

And before 1999, he wasn’t even a regular player — didn’t crack 300 AB.

6. antone
      June 4th, 2007 | 3:50 pm

I would keep Abreu too, he seems like he is starting to put things together at the plate. However, I think you are selling Dye way short. He is a good player and he might be better than Abreu at the field at this point. I think his career was hurt more by injuries than anything, when healthy I think he is a borderline All-Star type of player, even though he is having a bad season right now.

7. June 4th, 2007 | 4:21 pm

~~~To say he was terrible in 2002 and 2004 is not accurate. ~~~

2002: 0 RCAA
      2004: -2 RCAA

Sure, that’s just average. But, when you expect “star” isn’t average then “terrible”? [wink]