• June 4th @ The White Sox

Posted by on June 4th, 2007 · Comments (7)

Ah, yet another close-but-no-cigar moment for the Yankees 2007 season “highlight” film. This is the 17th time, out of 31 losses (to date) this season where the Yankees have lost by 2 runs or less.

Also, did you know that the last time the Yankees won three games in a row, this year, was May 1st to May 3rd? Further, did you know that the Yankees have never won four games in a row (so far) this season?

It all almost makes it sound like the Yankees making up those seven games, that they’re under .500, as being impossible.

And, if you can’t get to .500, you’re not going to make the post-season.

Comments on June 4th @ The White Sox

1. Garcia
      June 4th, 2007 | 11:26 pm

The 4-game winning streak starts tomorrow. That’s what I keep telling myself, I’ll keep telling myself that until there are 3 games left in the season.

2. baileywalk
      June 4th, 2007 | 11:26 pm

Great performance by Chris Britton tonight. Good God, don’t send this kid back down. He dominated AAA and they ignored him. Now that he saved the bullpen tonight, give him his due and keep him around. When they sent down Henn, they should have brought up Britton instead of Villone. And speaking of Villone: dump this guy. I like him as a person, but Torre destroyed whatever was left of his arm and he’s cooked. DFA him now and be done with it.

What exactly was the point of bringing up DeSalvo for this start? It’s obvious that his former biggest fan (Joe Torre’s love fades into hatred faster than anything I’ve ever seen) didn’t even want him to start. With that kind of leash, they should have just started Britton or Villone.

This latest outing officially kills any status that DeSalvo had as a prospect.

I sort of feel bad for DeSalvo. Right now, he’s just not good enough to pitch in the big leagues. He doesn’t have a single plus pitch. The Yankees brought him up because of some deceptively good AAA numbers and allowed him to lose two games and blow one coming out of the bullpen — and at a time when they desperately needed wins.

If Clemens can’t make his start Saturday, they need to use Chase Wright or Igawa.

They also need to employ a healer and have him heal Phil Hughes’ ankle ASAP.

3. Garcia
      June 4th, 2007 | 11:43 pm

bailey, your ability to deflect accountability on the person on the mound and automatically blame Torre is amazing. Let me say one thing about Matt DeSalvo, he sucks as a major league pitcher and he’s not ready to pitch in the majors.

Torre, Cashman, and Co. decided to throw him out there to see if he has one more good start in him. He didn’t and doesn’t anymore. His time is up, he’s no good and if you want to convince yourself that it’s all Torre’s fault then fine. But in my eyes, he got a chance and did absolutely nothing with the chance – except for the two wins against the M’s.

4. JeremyM
      June 5th, 2007 | 12:15 am

I thought Britton was a steal of a pickup for Wright, and I hope he gets to stay up. His three innings were big tonight, the only bad point is they followed a dreadful Villone outing. The thing I don’t get about Villone is that he threw a ton of innings for Scranton, so it’s not like he was a fresh arm when he was called up. Anyway, I don’t know what Britton has to do if he gets sent down again.

This seems like the 10th game now where the bats wake up in the 9th just enough to get the tying or winning run up, and then lose it. I was hoping Phelps would get a couple big knocks now that the starting job is, but those double plays were real momentum killers.

Anyway, I agree, the 4-game streak starts tomorrow!

Learning how to become a major league starter has to be one of the toughest things a guy could do. Hopefully DeSalvo can build on some things in AAA, but we’ll see.

5. Don
      June 5th, 2007 | 1:04 am

This game was lost by the defense. Once again Alex cannot turn a DP, Phelps acts as if the ball is a grenade, then throws it as if it were.

+++

Bosox just escape bases loaded and no outs in the ninth. Extra innings. They turned a DP.

+++

Chase Wright has pitched poorly in AAA.

6. rbj
      June 5th, 2007 | 9:22 am

Feh & meh. I consider the season gone anyhow.

7. baileywalk
      June 5th, 2007 | 10:02 am

Garcia, you must be blind. I said I don’t think DeSalvo should ever have been called up, and I said I don’t think he’s a major-league pitcher. I think it was foolish to expect anything out of him last night, and clearly Torre agreed.

But if you are going to have him start, then you need to actually let him start. Torre’s finger was on the button from the first pitch. Ultimately, it’s not a big deal that he took him out in the second (though that inning wasn’t his fault for a change), but if you have a leash that short in your mind, then I think it’s pointless to start the guy at all.

It’s a mystery to me how what I wrote could lead you to believe I was somehow deflecting DeSalvo’s ineffectiveness onto Torre.

The guy isn’t any good. If anything, I blame Torre for him ever being here to begin with.