• June 14th vs. The Diamondbacks

Posted by on June 14th, 2007 · Comments (10)

Today, we took the day off and brought the kids to “Storybook Land.” (See the thumbnail above for a look at a little baseball exhibit they had there…and, remember, it’s off Exit 37 on the GSP…so, that’s Phillies territory.)

The kids had a good time – so, we did as well. If you have little ones under the age of six – it’s a good place to try. A day like today, off-peak and not ideal weather, makes it even nicer – as we had zero wait for all the rides…and it was not crowded at all.

When we left the park, and got back to our car, I turned on the radio and heard the Yanks were up 7-1 in the eighth and cruising towards their ninth win in a row.

My family and I may have gone to Storybook Land for a few hours today. But, the Yankees have been living in it for the entire month of June.

Next up: The Mets – who have not been sharp of late. This could be a very interesting weekend series up in the Bronx. I hope the Yankees continue to take no prisoners.

Comments on June 14th vs. The Diamondbacks

1. MJ
      June 14th, 2007 | 9:26 pm

I was gamecasting while at work so I didn’t see any of the game. But it certainly seemed like Pettitte was in control all the way and that the bullpen got extra rest in time for this weekend’s series vs. the Mets. With Clemens/Clippard going tomrrow/Saturday, we might need the bullpen in back to back games so it’s extra great that Wang/Moose/Pettitte all went so deep into their starts.

I don’t even want to think about the wild card or the division or the playoffs. I’m just enjoying watching the guys playing hard, excelling in all facets of the game, and winning in such impressive fashion. Pythag Wins are now roughly 96. Looks like the team is playing up to their potential!

2. Jen
      June 14th, 2007 | 10:41 pm

Steve, is there a section of that park with live geese or swans or something? Because I think that’s where I was bitten by a waterfowl as a child.

3. June 14th, 2007 | 11:42 pm

~~~Steve, is there a section of that park with live geese or swans or something?~~~

Geese, yes. But, they were pretty hard to get to….

4. Jen
      June 15th, 2007 | 12:24 am

Well, this would have been close to 30 years ago. I have to remember to ask my parents about that this weekend. The photos on that web site look eerily familiar. I’m almost positive we went there as kids.

Oh, and that was a nice game today. I can’t remember the last time I was so relaxed at the Stadium.

5. JeremyM
      June 15th, 2007 | 12:41 am

MJ, I have to agree, I am just enjoying this stretch as it is and not getting caught up in anything else. As long as they keep playing good ball, that stuff will come. This has been an enjoyable run and I hope it lasts.

Steve, have a Happy Father’s Day on Sunday, looks like you deserve it!

June 15th, 2007 | 7:26 am

I may have to check out the park with the young’uns someday. Stop by AC too.

Steve, from previous pics, it looks like you’ve lost weight.

You think the Yanks are playing over their heads? They’re beating the teams they’re supposed to beat. Not to mention that they had been pretty unlucky so far (pythag records put them 2 behind the sox). I like to think that things are starting to even out; peaks and valleys of the season.

7. rbj
      June 15th, 2007 | 8:48 am

Don’t want to jinx things by thinking about it, but it’d be really cool if the Yanks could storm all the way back.

8. June 15th, 2007 | 9:47 am

JeremyM – thanks. Yes, the kids are “taking me” to a ballpark on Sunday. So, it should be fun.

Raf – thanks for noticing. One year ago, next week, I decided to lose some weight. From June 2006 to February 2007, I dropped 65 pounds and have kept it off since. Just a matter of making better food choices and using portion control. I’m in the best shape of my life now – in terms of being lean. It’s been a great change for me.

June 15th, 2007 | 11:18 am

65? That’s great!

I bet you have more energy than you know what to do with. Actually, you probably use up the extra energy chasing the little ones around :)

Keep up the good work!

10. June 15th, 2007 | 10:36 pm

Thanks. Yes, it’s amazing. I played softball a couple of weeks ago – for the first time in 20 years – in very hot weather. I reached base every time up. And, I was going first to third, second to home, etc., full tilt, without needing an extra breath. When I was 65 pounds heavier, I would have needed oxygen after the first attempt.