• June 15th vs. The Mets

Posted by on June 15th, 2007 · Comments (17)

I’ll take six and change and just two runs allowed from Clemens every time.

With the Yankees winning 9 in a row, and with the Mets losing 5 in a row, you knew the odds were against a Yankees win tonight.

Still, it’s a shame to lose such a “winable” game – the Yankees helped Perez out too much, swinging at balls.

When Cano led off the 7th, down 2-0, and swinging at “Ball Four” after working the count to 3-1, I thought Ken Singleton was going to leave the YES booth and give Robinson a good lecture on being a smart hitter.

I also thought, after the Jeter double in the 8th, that Abreu would walk and A-Rod would homer to give the Yankees the lead. But, Beltran ran down Abreu’s drive and A-Rod was retired as well. Funny, this season, you just expect Alex to win the game late with the big hit. What a difference a year makes.

Comments on June 15th vs. The Mets

1. snowball003
      June 15th, 2007 | 10:33 pm

This is the first game that I’m actually upset about. I mean, all the close losses and Red Sox losses are upsetting, but I got over it. This just makes me mad because Melky and Cano were swinging at crap. Phelps too.

But the good news is, the first 10 game win streak of the season starts tomorrow!

2. Don
      June 15th, 2007 | 11:07 pm

Sorry, but how is a lineup of Cabrera, Cano, Cairo and Phelps not a pitchers delight? This lineup against Glavine, the Yanks are losing this series.

The CF situation is a mess. Melky is not a ML hitter right now, having ten (10) XBH in 182 AB’s. Damon is always hurting and missing games. If they don’t DL him and allow full healing this will bite the team the rest of the season. It really is a bad situation in CF.

Cano, what to make of him. He is so undisciplined at the plate, why throw him strikes? How many rallies has he killed already this season?

3. Jen
      June 16th, 2007 | 12:22 am

I didn’t get upset about tonight. I mean, the Met fans were damn annoying (worse than Boston fans in my opinion) but I’ve been much more disappointed this season.

I also got to sit next to an ex-Yankee tonight so the night wasn’t all bad. Ok, so he only pitched one inning in the majors 47 years ago, but I still had a nice time chatting with him.

June 16th, 2007 | 12:54 am

lousy baserunning didn’t help the Yanks either

5. snowball003
      June 16th, 2007 | 1:33 am

Jen–that’s still cool, no matter how long ago or for how long he pitched. I think most of us reading/writing in this blog can’t say the same!

I think maybe I was disappointed because, to an extent, I could find a reason or excuse for the other disappointing losses. This time, I could see exactly where they were screwing up. Maybe if they didn’t swing at things in the other batters box or over their heads, they wouldn’t have even ended up scoring. maybe if Matsui weren’t caught off 2nd when Gomez made that amazing catch they wouldn’t have ended up scoring in that inning. But you never know.

6. Santino53
      June 16th, 2007 | 10:41 am

Does Damon avoid the DL because there is no viable alternative or is it because of this personal “record” that he has never been on and it is being “honored” much like Matsui’s ridiculous consecutive game streak before his injury?
      Melkey is barely a major league quality hiter and leadoff is a nightmare. Why not Jeter again?
      I worry Cano will ever deelop discipline to make him the great hitter he can be or just become Soriano without power.
      Phelps at 1B gives me agita of the highest degree. Does he hit that much better than Andy Philips? No. Lose him.

June 16th, 2007 | 11:22 am

I don’t know why Jeter doesn’t bat leadoff either.

I don’t know why Phillips isn’t on the team, but I’d rather see him, than Cairo. It doesn’t make sense to have both Basak & Cairo on the team, especially when the Yanks are carrying 13 pitchers.

8. Santino53
      June 16th, 2007 | 11:53 am

Take a look at the N.Y. Times photo of Cairo’s hit to left.
      Where’s Jeffrey Maier when you need him? A more
      aggrssive fan would have given us a 3R HR.

9. Garcia
      June 16th, 2007 | 12:46 pm

This is fucking amazing to me, the Yanks lose one game and it’s get on Melky time. Melky has been just fine since May, he is what he is….will he be a great major leaguer, probably not. But he wasn’t and isn’t the reason they lost. Even if Jeter bats leadoff, it’s not like Abreu, ARod, and Matsui were doing much against Perez.

Jesus and baby f’ing Jesus….can’t we just accept a loss, EVER????? It was a 2 – 0 game.

10. baileywalk
      June 16th, 2007 | 1:01 pm

I didn’t like the signing at the time (I stand by that because there were other options)… I STILL hate the amount of money… I was embarrassed by the Yankees’ groveling…

But is Roger Clemens from a different planet or WHAT? He’s almost 45 years old and still blowing guys away. The Mets have some legit hitters in their lineup and Clemens was great last night. He made one really bad pitch to Reyes — a where-the-hell-did-that-come-from? hanging curveball — but was otherwise excellent. And he’s still striking people out — that’s the most amazing thing to me. His splitter is so good it keeps hitters honest. I don’t know how long he can hold up, but I’ve been really impressed with the way Clemens has thrown.

I don’t mind Melky in the lineup because he’s such a good centerfielder, but why leadoff? Also, it simply has to be said that when Damon isn’t in the lineup — and we have Melky, Phelps AND Cairo — it’s like a bad NL lineup. Phelps simply isn’t hitting anymore, Cairo isn’t any good, and Melky can sometimes be overmatched by good pitching.

I agree about Phillips or even Shelly Duncan.

And kudos to whipping-boy Vizcaino, who actually performed well when given an important job.

11. RICH
      June 16th, 2007 | 1:05 pm

As usual, Garcia is reasonable. The Mets played a better all-around game than the Yankees – that’s why they won. That’s the way it should be, the team that plays better should win.

12. snowball003
      June 16th, 2007 | 1:36 pm

The Mets did play a better game, but it was like the Yankees beat themselves. When Perez simply could not throw a strike, why foul them off and help him out? The Mets did deserve to win. I’ll give them that.

I agree baileywalk–Clemens is not of this world. I expected him to walk off the field huffing and puffing like the 45 year old man he is. But he didn’t. Whatever exercise/diet plan he’s on, I want in.

13. Garcia
      June 16th, 2007 | 2:02 pm

I agree with Bailey about Clemens, he was amazing to watch last night. I was amazed by him too. That to me was what actually made me feel good about last night’s game.

14. rbj
      June 16th, 2007 | 5:59 pm

~Let’s see what difference a day makes when these two teams face each other again tomorrow.~

Apparently a big difference. Glad it’s a win, though.

June 17th, 2007 | 1:55 am

==========
      Regardless, point is that either Jeter or Damon should be batting leadoff. Cabrera should be batting somewhere in the last 1/3 of the lineup.

16. Yu Hsing Chen
      June 17th, 2007 | 7:39 am

People fail to realize that Cano’s start is almost indenetical to last year, more strike out but better ISOD (amazingly) and ISOP so far. and with some of the Yankee fans, it seems unless you throw a complete no brainer HOFer in there face they still might not recongnize. and with their patience, no wonder the team hasn’t had good youngsters for awhile . would these fans endure two+ years of a overmatched young lefty in the bullpen called Johan Santana? or a teenager getting pounded in the majors call Jeremy Bonderman? nope. it seems that it might actually do the Yankees a favor in the long term to just lose a season and dump all these bandwagon fans who don’t apprieciate the game.

If Cano’s overall skill is anything close to last year, he’s a hall of famer. it’s that simple. so you give up on a potential hall of famer over 2 bad month and chasing some bad pitches? good for you. you deserve to watch the Pirates, not the Yankees.

17. dereksTeam
      June 18th, 2007 | 1:45 pm

Great post Yu Hsing Chen! The readings of the instant gratification and expectation index of Yankee Fans from the mid nineties on must be comparable to Martha Stewart on acid.