• Rosenthal: Try Hughes For Teixeira

Posted by on June 19th, 2007 · Comments (8)

From Ken Rosenthal -

The Yankees are understandably reluctant to move [Phil] Hughes, who was eight outs away from a no-hitter in his second major-league start.

But no player is untouchable, especially not an unproven pitching prospect, talented though he might be.

Likewise, no prospect is so valuable that a deal can not be completed without him.

If the Rangers trade Teixeira, they will need to involve the Yankees, whose needs and resources make them an ideal match.

The Rangers’ plan should be to hold out for Hughes, then accept other prospects from the Yankees’ improved farm system, if necessary.

The Yankees, in turn, should demand one of the Rangers’ veteran relievers and perhaps a lower-level pitching prospect in any deal for Hughes.

For now, the Yankees say they do not want to compromise their farm system or significantly increase their payroll in a trade for a first baseman.

They are as protective of Hughes, who turns 21 on Sunday, as they were of right-hander Chien-Ming Wang, who proved to be their ace.

Makes sense. The Yankees are in the same position they were in the past few seasons, needing consistency from their rotation more than the acquisition of another slugger.

Hughes and Wang could be the Yanks’ only 35-and-under starting pitchers when Hughes returns from that sprained left ankle, most likely in August.

In the Yankees’ perfect world, Hughes will be their Justin Verlander or Matt Cain.

But prospects can be overvalued, too.

Would you trade such a pitcher for Teixeira? How could you not?

Teixeira, 27, is a perfect fit for the Yankees, a switch-hitter with power who plays Gold Glove defense at a position of need.

He not only would be a major upgrade over the team’s current platoon of Josh Phelps and Miguel Cairo, but also is vastly better than the Angels’ Shea Hillenbrand, Mariners’ Ben Broussard or any other first-base option the Yankees are considering.

Teixeira can hit. But, is he more of a Rocky Colavito type player than a Jim Thome type player? Is he more of a Willie Horton type player than a Manny Ramirez type player?

That’s a question the Yankees would need to answer. You can trade a blue-chip pitching prospect for a future Hall-of-Famer…because, even if the prospect turns out good, you’re still offsetting it. But, if Teixeira is just going to be a very good, but not all-time great, player, then you better be sure that the pitching prospect is not a sure thing…because young, cheap, and highly effective pitchers are worth ten times their weight in gold these days.

I’m sure that most Yankees fans would scream if the team traded Hughes.

I’m not that bad about it…if the Yankees get something great in return. But, it has to be great. I’m not sure that Teixeira is great.

Comments on Rosenthal: Try Hughes For Teixeira

1. June 19th, 2007 | 2:51 pm

Cashman isn’t that stupid, I hope.

2. June 19th, 2007 | 2:53 pm

“One rival GM projects Hughes as only a No. 3 or No. 4 starter, saying, “I’m not as high as the hype.”

******************************

Ken Rosenthal and this entire article makes me laugh… thanks for the laugh, Steve, I appreciate it.

3. RICH
      June 19th, 2007 | 3:54 pm

Like Steve Phillips, has Rosenthal ever been right about something? I’m serious with the question because I’m not familiar with his writing.

4. rbj
      June 19th, 2007 | 3:59 pm

Rosenthal has correctly pointed out that George Steinbrenner owns the NY Yankees.

What are Texiera’s home/road splits? IIRC, Arlington is a hitter’s park.

Yankees need good, young, starting pitching. Two of their starters are 35+ and another is 43+. I’d keep Hughes and trade DeSalvo for Tex.

5. baileywalk
      June 19th, 2007 | 4:02 pm

I used to like Ken. What happens to these guys? They start out fair, unbiased, interested in the game — and then they become hacks. Ken isn’t there yet, but he’s pushing it.

No, no, no, no. The Yankees are not trading Hughes for anyone, let alone Mark Teixera, who will cost them fifteen million dollars a year.

As far as I see it, the Yankees have four untouchables at the moment: Hughes, Chamberlain, Tabata, Betances. The only one they will not trade under ANY circumstances — in my humble opinion — is Phil. The other ones could be moved in some sort of spectacular trade.

Later in the article, he writes, “The Rangers, on the other hand, could make a quality deal if they landed, say, Cabrera, plus Wright or Chamberlain, plus another decent pitching prospect.”

Still too much for Tex, but it’s a deal that makes more sense. Make it Melky, Wright, Clippard/Kennedy, and/or (fill in the blank with another starter/reliever: Smith, Ohlendorf, Britton, Ramirez, Whelan, etc., etc., etc.).

I wouldn’t give up Hughes or Chamerlain for anyone. Not even Teixeria, who I’m high on.

Tex wants out and he’s due to make a lot of money. I’m not exactly sure what the Rangers think they’re going to get. They should be happy with a handful of good pitching prospects.

6. baileywalk
      June 19th, 2007 | 4:06 pm

I’d keep Hughes and trade DeSalvo for Tex.
      ——

That deal wouldn’t happen in a million — nay, a billion — years. DeSalvo stinks.

There has to be one “good” player in the deal — with the candidates being Melky, Clippard and Kennedy. You figure they would throw Chase Wright in there, too. And maybe a decent bullpen arm like Britton. I think that deal should be able to get it done: Melky, Wright/Clippard and Britton.

7. Kyle
      June 19th, 2007 | 4:33 pm

No way do I trade Hughes for Tex. But I would do a deal of something like Clippard, Horne, and Zach McCallister. That would give them three solid arms one at AAA, one at AA, and one at A

8. Yu Hsing Chen
      June 21st, 2007 | 6:10 am

Teix’s Home/road split isn’t as bad as say… Todd Helton, but a minor split is still there, still though, even the road numbers are well above average.

I wouldn’t do Hughes for Teix though, Rosenthal is quickly becomming John Kruk.