• Schilling Pulling A DeCicco?

Posted by on June 19th, 2007 · Comments (8)

From the AP -

Curt Schilling has been missing his overpowering stuff since his near no-hitter on June seventh.

That bid at Oakland was broken up with two outs in the ninth.

In his last two starts, Schilling has given up 19 hits and 11 earned runs in nine and one-third innings.

The six runs he allowed to the Atlanta Braves in a 9-to-4 loss last Monday were a season-high for Schilling. His four and one-third innings was his shortest stay on the mound since opening day. In that one, he lasted only four innings at Kansas City for his briefest start since 2001.

Against the Braves, was rocked for 10 hits and had no strikeouts for the first time since July First, 1993.

Remember Coney (aka DeCicco)? After his perfect game on July 18, 1999, David Cone was never the same. That game cooked him.

Has his recent no-hit attempt done the same to the Red Sox Curt Schilling?

Once upon a time, I thought Cone and Schilling were the same. That was three and a half years ago, thereabouts. Maybe I was right – just at the wrong time?

A cooked Schilling would do wonders for the Yankees chances in the A.L. East this season.

Comments on Schilling Pulling A DeCicco?

1. Garcia
      June 19th, 2007 | 11:59 am

You remember last year when something similar happened last year? The big blowhard had an obscene pitch count. I think it was like 130 or something and after that he never pitched the same, I think he even made it to the DL last year too, and the rest is history.

Seriously, does anyone really feel that scared of the Sawx? I feel like they are an extremely flawed team. Especially at SS, CF, and RF. I hope I’m not wrong.

2. baileywalk
      June 19th, 2007 | 12:38 pm

No, the near-perfect game hasn’t done anything to Schilling. He hasn’t been that good all year. The near-perfect game had a lot more to do with Oakland’s horrendous offense.

Schilling used to have a blazing fastball. But over the last few years, it has diminished. Now he’s in the uppers 80s with the occasional 91-92. This is a guy who lives on his four-seamer. You can’t survive with that kind of velocity if you’re Curt Schilling.

Basically Curt has finally gotten old. Like when Unit was here in his second year, Schilling might pitch a decent game now and again, but more or less he’s done.

He had a similar year last year: started out strong with decent velocity, but then quickly faded and got shelled constantly.

Truthfully, Schilling has never been the same since the 2004 playoffs. His refusal to get into better shape has probably hurt, too.

Curt needs to follow Unit back to the NL if he wants to pitch beyond this year.

3. June 19th, 2007 | 1:27 pm

I think I heard on SportsCenter that all but one of his pitches was above 90 mph. I’d be very concerned if I were the Red Sox.

4. June 19th, 2007 | 1:30 pm

I mean “under 90 mph.” Sorry!

5. antone
      June 19th, 2007 | 2:07 pm

I saw that Oakland game and I remember correctly the ump had a pretty big strike zone as well, so put that together with Oakland’s horrible offense and that probably helped Schilling out.

Plus I think John Kruk put the jinx of him saying that he would take Curt Schilling over anyone as his big game pitcher right after the Oakland game.

6. christopher
      June 19th, 2007 | 3:55 pm

Like Bailey said, Schilling has been getting rocked all year long. He’s now leading the league in hits allowed and is in the top ten in HRs allowed. His near no-no against Oakland was more the exception than the rule.

Steve – do you really think Cone’s perfect game cooked him? Didn’t he only throw 80-something pitches in that game? He had some pretty dominating performances down the stretch in ’99 and his two greatest playoff performances happened in the ’99 post-season. That one-hitter against Atlanta was an all-time classic. Granted, he fell apart in 2000, but it’s hard to tie that to the perfect game given all the injuries he struggled with.

7. baileywalk
      June 19th, 2007 | 4:12 pm

You’re right, Chris. Cone only threw 88 pitches in that perfect game, which is simply ridiculous. And there was a rain delay, was there not? Down the stretch he was good, but not great. Had a couple of really bad games, but for the most part he was okay.

And he did pitch well in both of his post-season starts that year, including one-hitting Atlanta over seven innings as you mentioned.

8. snowball003
      June 19th, 2007 | 8:06 pm

I agree with bailey and garcia (and pretty much everyone). Curt has become as I have always called him, Old Man Schilling. I wouldn’t have such a problem with him degenerating if he weren’t so damn cocky about it. He WAS a good pticher, and now he has good days. If he didn’t have so many big bats behind him, I feel he’d lose a lot more games. I mean, Moose and Pettitte had a few bad games this season–but they have had way more good games than bad. They haven’t come close to a no-hitter, though Pettitte has pitched 8 innings a few times.

Maybe if Schilling continues to suck he’ll finally shut up.