• June 19th @ The Rockies

Posted by on June 20th, 2007 · Comments (15)

The New York Yankees.
    At Coors Field on a warm night.
    Against Josh Fogg.

And, what do you get?

Only 5 of the 26 batters that face Fogg reach base.

You either have to tip your cap to Josh Fogg or suspect that the Yankees, after a 48-hour layoff, were caught back on their heels by a Rockies team who has been playing great for a month now.

I’m going with the latter.

Here’s a little fact for you: On May 17, 2007, the Yankees were 9.5 games out of first. Today, after this game, the Yankees are now 9 games out of first. Therefore, in the last five weeks, the Yankees have gained only one-half game in the standings on the Red Sox.

When you think about that, in terms of the big picture, and then see Josh Fogg man-handle the Yanks, it tells you that New York cannot allow for games like this one to happen.

Comments on June 19th @ The Rockies

1. Gareth
      June 20th, 2007 | 9:53 am

I’d second your choice of the latter; I saw the Rockies play a couple of games in Denver a couple of weeks ago, and they were playing very solid, crisp baseball. It wasn’t that much of a surprise to me that we (i.e. the Red Sox) dropped two of three to them a week or so later, even if it was annoying.

2. rbj
      June 20th, 2007 | 10:05 am

Don’t the Yankees tend to drop the first game of a west coast trip?

3. Garcia
      June 20th, 2007 | 10:17 am

On April 2nd, the Yanks were tied for first place with every team in the AL East, since then they’ve been as far back as 14.5 games, today they are 9 games back. So since the start of the season the Yanks have dug themselves into quite a hole, however, they have managed to make up 5 1/2 games since they were 14 1/2 back.

4. Jen
      June 20th, 2007 | 10:21 am

// On May 17, 2007, the Yankees were 9.5 games out of first…Therefore, in the last five weeks, the Yankees have gained only one-half game in the standings on the Red Sox.//

That’s kind of cherry picking, isn’t it? Wouldn’t it be fair to use May 29 as the reference point when talking about gaining in the standings, since that was their low point?

5. MJ
      June 20th, 2007 | 10:38 am

Jen, I see your point about cherry-picking but I think what Steve was trying to say (Steve – not speaking for you, just assuming your meaning) is that even after a 9 game winning streak and taking 2/3 from the Mets, the Yanks are STILL in a big-time hole.

6. June 20th, 2007 | 10:57 am

MJ nailed it.

7. June 20th, 2007 | 11:04 am

why is it that after every loss, you guys make it seem like the yankees are about to slide back into their may/april days? It’s one game!!! the yankees are STILL the hottest team in baseball in the last 10 games! and they’re playing in coors field, you can’t expect the yankees not to hit. you just can’t.

8. UNCYankee
      June 20th, 2007 | 11:08 am

You cannot expect the Yankees to win every game. They are going to lose a few between now and the end of the year. It was one bad game, just like the first game of the Mets series. And we all know how that turned out. There is plenty of time left in the season. All it will take is solid play from here on in and a little bad luck for the Sox (and that may already be happening–Shilling is having an MRI).

So, RELAX, the team is finally playing up to potential.

9. j
      June 20th, 2007 | 11:38 am

Wow, Steve. So, after the whole streak they go on, you don’t do a “Games behind” or “Rest of the way post”, but they drop a game and you’re that quick to show that they’re only 0.5 different then they were on May 17. Come on, man.

It got worse after being down 9.5 after May 17, and since has gotten a lot better. They need to focus on winning series. This loss felt like the loss to the Mets. If they go out and win the next 2, they’ve done their job. I still believe the Red Sox will crumble when they inevitable injury hits (I haven’t kept up with whats going on with Schilling today, but I read about his MRI yesterday.)

10. Garcia
      June 20th, 2007 | 11:45 am

MJ & Steve, And I think Jen’s point was that the glass isn’t as half empty as Steve makes it sound, so hence the cherry picking comment.

I’m in the Jen, Corey and UNC camp. It’s a loss, they didn’t play poorly, Fogg pitched really well and the Yanks lost. I find very little to be mad about and I don’t see any negatives from a one game loss. I guess I’m under the impression that the Yanks will win more than they lose if they keep playing like they did last night, as well as Friday night against the Mets. The Yanks have had good pitching in both of those games, but the other pitcher was just better at shutting down the Yanks.

I’ll take my chances on the Yanks winning a lot of games if they get good pitching, if the other pitcher shuts down the Yanks then the better team won. I’ll go go to sleep and wake up and hope the Yanks get the same pitching performance, you know the next day’s pitcher will have to deal with a really good offense that was shut down the night before so he better be on his game.

Lastly, for the first time in my life I’m reading the book “The Bronx Zoo”. What a great book, I can’t stop laughing my ass off. I just read a comment Zimmer had made to the press at the time he was managing the Sawx:

“We’re twenty-nine games over five hundred, and that means we could play five hundred ball the rest of the season and still have ninety-five wins. Maybe that won’t be enough, but I guarantee you we won’t play five hundred ball the rest of the way.”

Anyhow, that got me thinking about the Sawx and their fans and their players. When Clemens signed with the Yanks, Schilling basically said f- him we don’t need him. Schilling is now getting an MRI on his shoulder. Matt Damon got on David Letterman and was gloating about the Red Sox big lead, and that his been trimmed down some since and the Yanks have been playing good ball.

Let’s hope they continue to spit in the wind.

11. baileywalk
      June 20th, 2007 | 12:46 pm

This was the Oliver Perez game all over again — pitcher pitches well, but the offense doesn’t do anything, and they lose a winnable game.

These games are always the most frustrating, but I’m just happy Mussina continues to pitch well. You have to remember that this offense kicked the sh-t out of Schilling and Beckett. They can hit.

It’s kind of hard not to get frustrated when the Yankees could have cashed in runs in both the eighth and ninth innings and didn’t.

That ninth inning is particularly annoying: Matsui leads off with a double. Cano comes up and, against a guy that has THE funkiest delivery in the world (by the way, I love Brian Fuentes and hope the Rockies actually trade him one day), and swings at the very first goddamned pitch he sees! Then we have to send Cairo up there to pinch-hit. He of course strikes out. (Kenny, no more “it’s hard to strike Cairo out,” please — good pitchers do it all the time.) Then yet another lefty (Damon) comes up and strikes out, too.

Mussina needs to chill the hell out with the umps. Yeah, I know he doesn’t get the calls, but he can’t show them up like that. There’s no point: they will tighten the strikezone even more, they will remember what you did and not give you calls in the future, and it will hurt the pitchers who follow you into the game.

Mussina went Randy Johnson out there last night. You get some calls and you don’t get some calls. Chill out, Mike — you need the umps to be your friends, not your enemies.

12. June 20th, 2007 | 1:22 pm

———————————————-

/agreed

June 20th, 2007 | 1:47 pm

Mussina’s been in the league for 16 years, he is what he is.

14. baileywalk
      June 20th, 2007 | 2:04 pm

Mussina’s been in the league for 16 years, he is what he is.

15. snowball003
      June 20th, 2007 | 4:18 pm

He’s always going to stare in and shake his head, etc., but he went too far last night.
      —————-
      True. But I was really impressed with Nieves hopping out in front of the ump to handle it so the ump didn’t go have words with Moose. I was even impressed before Michael Kay mentioned it 13 times.