• June 27th @ The Orioles

Posted by on June 27th, 2007 · Comments (7)

This is what it’s come down to: The most exciting moment for the Yankees, and their fans, in this game tonight was a loud (pinch at-bat) flyball out that almost made it to the warning track by Andy Phillips in the 8th inning.

“Now look at me.

I’m wet nurse to a last-place, dead-to-the-neck-up ball club…

…and I’m choking to death!”

Those are the words that come to my mind when I watch this team play these days. Lifeless. The Yankees play with about as much energy as a koala on quaaludes.

An electric cattle prod! An electric cattle prod! My kingdom for an electric cattle prod!

Actually, I could use about ten of them – just to try and get this team to show some life.

Comments on June 27th @ The Orioles

1. baileywalk
      June 27th, 2007 | 10:56 pm

What are you worried about? Shea Hillenbrand is on the way!

But seriously…

I guess if the Yanks do pick up Shea, it will be an upgrade over Cairo and Phillips, but I hope the Yankees don’t have to actually give anything up. There’s no way you can tell me Shelly Duncan is going to hit worse than those three players. If they had actually brought Shelly up already, we would know if he was a better option than Hillenbrand, but we don’t.

I think you’re being a little melodramatic, Steve. Are the Yankees packing it in? Are they not cattle-prodded enough? These guys don’t want to lose. I just don’t buy that. Once people get into abstracts it starts to sound silly.

Who didn’t see tonight’s game coming a mile away? A good pitcher who has dominated them recently. Did someone expect a win? I didn’t.

The thing that irked me tonight was the sixth inning. SOMETHING was up with Clemens — either he hurt himself or he was gassed, but it was obvious after that four-pitch walk to Markakis that something was wrong. What was Torre waiting for? It wouldn’t have changed the result of the game, but how was it that Torre didn’t see what was obvious to everyone else and get Bruney up sooner? This isn’t 2001 anymore — Roger isn’t the same guy. He’s old and it’s brutally hot out. Keep an eye on him.

This might be harsh, but as a pitching coach, Guidry annoys me. He seems so useless. It appears that he brings absolutely nothing to the table for the pitchers, and he’s incapable of helping someone mechanically. He also completely kowtows to Torre. I’m kind of hoping he leaves with Torre after this year. Great guy, great pitcher — but it’s starting to get on my nerves watching him sit there indifferently cleaning tobacco off his teeth.

2. dereksTeam
      June 27th, 2007 | 11:51 pm

Yeah, Steve. You really are a ninny.

The Yankees don’t pack it in. You’re insulting my team.

I live in Boston. The 2006 SAWKS packed it in. You really don’t know what you’re talking about. It’s one shriek after another on your blog.

Get a fucking grip, will you?

3. Max
      June 27th, 2007 | 11:54 pm

I’m glad someone is calling Gator out. Funny how everyone couldn’t wait for Mel to get the boot, but Gator sure doesn’t look any better.

In defense of the hitters, Bedard was really dealing. But it seems to be the pattern these days that once the deficit gets past a run, the opposing pitcher (and bullpen) becomes untouchable. It used to be that no deficit was insurmountable with the Yankees. Now, no deficit seems surmountable with the way the batters seem to stop battling and working the other pitchers.

June 28th, 2007 | 8:29 am

==========
      A good number of pitching coaches are useless.

5. Pete
      June 28th, 2007 | 10:06 am

>> Now, no deficit seems surmountable with the way the batters seem to stop battling and working the other pitchers. >>

Yup – myself, I turned it off at 1-0. It’s *that* bad these days.

6. baileywalk
      June 28th, 2007 | 10:28 am

I completely forgot about it. Did anyone else want to puke when you saw that Torre was bringing Mo in the pitch the eighth? He couldn’t pitch with the game on the line, but he could pitch with them four down. Terrific.

7. Santino53
      June 28th, 2007 | 1:57 pm

For those of you old enough , Gator has become Art Fowler without the drinking. I realize pitching coaches are largely overrated but he looks clueless. Mo pitching last night was insult to injury .