• July 2nd vs. The Twins

Posted by on July 2nd, 2007 · Comments (22)

Well, for sure, no one can ever say that Roger Clemens backed into his 350th career win. Ol’ Roger was in command this evening. It was impressive.

Hopefully, A-Rod will be OK tomorrow. But, I’ll say this…if he’s only around 80% and wants to nurse it, that’s fine…he should. But, if it’s still not near 100% at the end of the week, he should beg out of the All-Star game. No need to turn 90% into 60% by pushing yourself in a game like that one. Sure, make the trip, take your bow, etc. But, let them replace you on the roster with someone else. Better safe than sorry. Of course, if, tomorrow, he says he’s 99% fine, then it’s a moot point.

Comments on July 2nd vs. The Twins

1. j
      July 2nd, 2007 | 11:00 pm

“While I enjoyed watching the Abreu homer, it was not all that impressive to me. It was a hanging slider – which is basically a BP-fastball, at the end of the day. Those types of pitches should be hit a long way.”

Maybe he should have hit it out of the Stadium. I don’t get you Steve.

It’s ok to be happy if the Yankees play well. We had offense, some nice defensive plays, and a hell of an outing from Clemens. Stop being such a downer.

2. July 2nd, 2007 | 11:19 pm

~~~Stop being such a downer.~~~

I’d rather be called a downer than a non-objective homer/fan-boy. So, if not being the latter means I have to be called the former, so be it.

3. TK_NYY
      July 3rd, 2007 | 6:38 am

Maybe it wasn’t impressive that he hit a meatball over the wall, but he hit it a freakin mile. That impressed me.

4. July 3rd, 2007 | 6:55 am

There have been lots of hanging sliders thrown at Yankee Stadium. There haven’t been many that have been hit that far.

Just Steve being Steve.

July 3rd, 2007 | 7:33 am

There have been plenty that have been hit that far; usually by the opponent… :)

6. July 3rd, 2007 | 8:07 am

Yeah, there is a difference between Barry Bonds taking a pre-2004 Roger Clemens’ 90+ MPH fastball and going upper tank at the Stadium in right with it…and Bobby Abreu taking a 80-something MPH cookie from Boof Bonser and going upper tank as well.

Sure, they’re both long taters – and, like I said, fun to watch. It’s just that the feat of one is not as impressive as the feat of another.

Abreu’s blast was not George Brett or Kirk Gibson taking a 100 MPH Goose Gossage fastball and blasting it into the upper deck. It was more like a guy cheating, looking inside, and getting a big fat pitch exactly where he could handle it the best.

7. dereksTeam
      July 3rd, 2007 | 9:04 am

Yeah, but Steve you’re missing the sporting brews point which is an excellent one.

There have only been a couple hr hit in that location at all. To compare the two, obviously Bonds is the more impressive because it was done with against a more difficult pitch. But to say the other isn’t impressive at all is not an exercise in being discerning nor is it avoiding the trap of being “a non-objective homer/fan-boy.” You’re being accused, once again, of being a “downer” and your accuser is absolutely right on.

If the feat were, as you described, simply taking a woof bonser doggy pitch “cookie” and knocking the shit out of it, then there should be any number of such times this has happened, and, if you were right, not that impressive at all.

But you see, Steve. That’s not the case. Cookies get fouled off, hammered into the ground, and popped up. This one didn’t. And it was impressive.

Alan Watts was a 1960’s Counter Culture Guru who commented on a hero of mine, G.K. Chesterton: “It is in fact the sense of wonder which transforms every littlest thing in the universe into a divine mystery…The sense of wonder expresses itself in gratitude, and I know of no finer exposition of the mysticism of gratitude than the concluding pages of Chesterton’s Autobiography: ‘The aim of life is appreciation; there is no sense in not appreciating things and there is no sense in having more of them if you have less appreciation of them’.”

And that is the point here. We (Yankee fans) congregate at these internet water coolers to share our sense of appreciation and you show up and say “Big deal,” and attempt to bullshit your way past us with your tough, no-nonsense, look-at-me-I’m-at-a-higher-standard pose.

Yeah, right. Mr. Sporting Brews knows and appreciates the game whereas you’re just another cynic with a penny in your socket. Steve being Steve.

8. dereksTeam
      July 3rd, 2007 | 9:07 am

my bad that was j along with sporting brews who was taking our host to task.

9. July 3rd, 2007 | 9:16 am

dereksTeam, a question for you: Jay, if I piss you off as much as it seems that I do…and there’s evidence to support this…in the two months that you’be been posting here, you’ve called me names like whitey bulger, chicken little, ninny, cynic…and, those are some of the “nicer” handles that you like to pin on me…anyway, it’s clear that I piss you off with what I express/write. So, here’s the question: Why do you keep coming back? Do you like it when someone pisses you off?

July 3rd, 2007 | 9:43 am

===============
      I would think Brett or Gibson did the same with Gossage.

If I were them, I’d sit on Goose’s fb, because he’s not going to want to get beat with anything else.

11. Garcia
      July 3rd, 2007 | 10:28 am

Steve, I thought that upper deck job Barry hit was off of Ted Lilly? I need to go look it up, I was at two of the Giants game @ the stadium but the game I didn’t go to was the one Barry hit that moon shot.

12. Garcia
      July 3rd, 2007 | 10:31 am
    13. Garcia
      July 3rd, 2007 | 10:35 am

I was just reading the box score from that game and I saw this:
      ~~NYA rookie RF Juan Rivera took wrong train to the
      stadium and then ran into a maintenance truck during batting
      practice, breaking his kneecap ~~

I remember the part about him running into the maintenance truck, but I didn’t know it was because he was late cause he took the wrong train.
      To think, that was the beginning of the Raul Mondesi experiment.

14. July 3rd, 2007 | 10:43 am

Good find/memory Garcia! I must have confused the HR with the HBP that Bonds got from Clemens.

15. baileywalk
      July 3rd, 2007 | 11:06 am

Yes, yes, great memory. They only showed the clip of that home run fifty times while the Yanks were in San Fran, and they showed it last night, too, with Kay clearly saying it was Ted Lilly.

By the way, since originally you stated that Abreu’s home run wasn’t as impressive as a home run that never happened, is the home run now as impressive or not? (I’m just effin’ with you, dude.)

Apparently Joe Torre actually knows who Shelly Duncan is. Both Doughboy and Madden asked Torre about him and Torre’s two answers were rather depressing: he told Doughboy that they see Shelly “only as a DH” at this level and told Madden “he’s not ready yet.” Not ready? What proves that he’s not ready? His 21 home runs? You’re willing to play Cairo and Phillips at first and you won’t give Shelly a shot? After you played Phelps there?

It’s ridiculous that they could be sitting on a little right-handed power and they refuse to see what they have. A decent second-half by Duncan, where he sneaks up on people, could save the need to trade young pitchers for Tex.

If A-Rod actually has to go on the DL, they should use Phillips at third and call up Duncan to play first.

Or whatever they do — just give Shelly a friggin’ look already! Ed “I Intrigue Torre But I Don’t Pitch” Ramirez is finally up. Maybe Shelly with get his shot sometime, too.

16. Garcia
      July 3rd, 2007 | 11:11 am

bailey, When the Yanks were in San Fran, I was there watching the games so there’s no way I could have seen the games on YES. And last night I only caught the last 3 innings.

GFY, MOFO, GFY!!!

17. baileywalk
      July 3rd, 2007 | 11:32 am

Garcia, you idiot, that comment was directed at the person who SAID you had a great memory — Steve — not you. My point was, if Steve was watching any of these games, HE would have remembered.

But thanks for revealing your immature, psychotic self one more time — it’s very entertaining.

18. July 3rd, 2007 | 11:45 am

Why can’t we all get along?

19. baileywalk
      July 3rd, 2007 | 11:52 am

Why can’t we all get along?
      —-

I never respond to anything he says, but it’s kind of hard to let “GFY, MOFO, GFY!!!” go without a comment.

20. Garcia
      July 3rd, 2007 | 11:57 am

No, no..you got it wrong, Bailey. You are the immature, psychotic one here. If you aren’t clear in your statements or what they are seeing, then they are left open for interpretation but that part seems to allude you and your two brain cells.

So again, GFY.

Steve, sorry…I can’t stand this asshole, so no we can’t get along and I’ve tried to be civil with the guy. I won’t allow him to stand on his soapbox and act like his shit don’t stink.

21. Garcia
      July 3rd, 2007 | 12:00 pm

bailey, we can settle this very easily…it doesn’t have to be a feud where there’s a buffer of electrons between us.

22. July 3rd, 2007 | 12:11 pm

Final warning – chill out guys. Or else, I will have to shut down your access to comment here. Thanks, Steve