• July 5th vs. The Twins

Posted by on July 5th, 2007 · Comments (11)

Is it just me, or, did this game seem a lot longer than the listed “3:32″ time of game that ended up in the box score?

I think I finally figured it out. “Kei Igawa” is Japanese for “Chuck Cary.” There’s just something about the way Igawa carries himself on the field that screams “I don’t belong in the major leagues.” Or, is that just me again?

This was a great game to win – in part, because the Yankees need wins. But, also, in part, because to lose this game (and the 9th was a little scary there) would have been very deflating – considering how long it went on for in terms of time on the field.

Good jobs by Cano, Melky, Matsui and the bullpen today.

And, check out Andy Phillips over the last 5 games. Eight hits in five games? Giambi who?

Comments on July 5th vs. The Twins

1. Joel
      July 5th, 2007 | 8:30 pm

Great win.

I know this is irrational given Mr. Torre’s careful nature, but I was hoping against hope to see Edwar in the 8th. I want to see him swim in the deep end.

2. Yu Hsing Chen
      July 5th, 2007 | 9:41 pm

Steve, i think Igawa is exactly one of those guys who will be traded / moved for very little in return and do well later on (unless he moves to the Rockies or some other launching pad city of course)

The stuff is obviously there, and the inconsistency is ridiculas given the track record. there’s just something in the water or something with him and NYY.

though yeah, for once the offense felt good (minus a-rod) am i crazy to think that this is the lineup we should stick with for awhile (replacing Cairo with A-rod of course and maybe shuffling Damon down a little if he continues to struggle.. or maybe not.)

I’m happy to see Phillips do very well right now, but he also had a very good stretch in June and then faded completely so i’m not overly optimistic just yet but i’ll take a hot stretch from a replacement player over eternal slumps from super stars any day of the week

3. July 5th, 2007 | 10:09 pm

——————————————-

last year? i remember torre benching him in the midst of his hot streak and then he never re-igniting/sitting on the bench for the rest of the year.

4. July 5th, 2007 | 10:15 pm

i’m hearing rumors that they will be retiring a number soon also..anyone hear anything?

July 5th, 2007 | 11:33 pm

=========
      I haven’t heard anything. How soon? Old Timer’s Day is right around the corner, I don’t think they’d have a retirement ceremony then.

It’s either Bernie Williams or Paul O’Neill, I’d be pretty suprised if it were someone else.

6. July 6th, 2007 | 12:34 am

paulie was talking about his number today, so maybe that’s a hint…

7. baileywalk
      July 6th, 2007 | 1:11 am

I can’t believe there was a time when I believed in Igawa. This is a piss-poor job by whoever scouts Japan for the Yankees. Whoever watched him should have seen that he lives up in the zone with a high-80s/90 mph fastball and would get killed in the American League. How is it that Tom Verducci, a sportswriter, knew this about Kei before he threw a pitch here but Cashman didn’t? Igawa has been a complete waste of money and frankly an embarrassment for Cashman and whoever recommended him. He’s already been sent down to the minors to work on his mechanics, and he shows no signs of being able to pitch here.

He was supposed to be a finished product — someone you could stick in the five hole and expect 200 unspectacular innings out of. He’s not even that. The Yankees will be lucky if he can become a longman.

Luckily, Hughes’ rehab will commence soon and he should be back — as long as he doesn’t get hit by lightning or have a boulder fall on his head — in late July.

8. snowball003
      July 6th, 2007 | 8:44 am

My one problem with writing off Igawa is that game against the Red Sox. He came out of the bullpen and shut them down for six innings. A poor pitcher who lives up in the zone can’t do that….can he? It’s mind-boggling really. Because he is just as baileywalk just decribed him. I was at that Red Sox game and sitting in the bleachers so I couldn’t really see where his pitches ended up, but was he better or were they just not hitting him?

I know he was millions of dollars, but is it reasonable for him to be a long-man out of the bullpen? Because in that one game, he was great. I’m beginning to think it’s his nerves or something. He can’t REALLY be this bad when he was that good.

9. July 6th, 2007 | 8:58 am

~~~My one problem with writing off Igawa is that game against the Red Sox. He came out of the bullpen and shut them down for six innings. ~~~

FWIW, after that game, Papi said that the Red Sox helped him out – and that they were not impressed with Igawa’s stuff.

July 6th, 2007 | 9:52 am

====================
      Jaimie Moyer and Doug Jones are two pitchers that come to mind that have less than impressive stuff, they managed to get the job done.

As for Igawa, I’m not sure what to do with him at this point. I’d give him a full season @ AAA, until he can throw his secondary pitches with consistency.

FWIW, Igawa’s more Jim Deshaies than Chuck Cary (:
      Deshaies was another soft tossing lefty who lived high in the zone.

11. Santino53
      July 6th, 2007 | 9:56 am

Just as Carlo had to answer for Santino , Cash has Igawa.