• July 22nd vs. The Devil Rays

Posted by on July 22nd, 2007 · Comments (12)

As much as I want to say that it’s Shelley Duncan’s world and I’m just happy to be living in it, the fact of the matter is that the Yankees, as a team, have just mashed the D-Rays pitching over the last two games. What you’ve seen in the Bronx over the last two days has not been done in at least the last 50 years: A team scoring 17+ runs, against the same team, for two days in a row at home.

By the way, for what it’s worth, I do like Duncan’s approach and attitude. He seems like the kind of kid that you want to root for…and, he does have power. I called him “Mike Blowers” the other day and that was unfair. He just might be a “Richie Sexson” type hitter if he’s given a chance to play everyday. He’s a big dude and does not get cheated at the plate. He’ll hit mistakes out of the park.

This was only the 5th time since 1957 that the Yankees have hit 6+ homers in a game at Yankee Stadium – with the last time also coming against Tampa Bay. It’s interesting that all five times where this has happened since 1957 were for Joe Torre teams. Ol’ Joe sure has had some talented teams at his disposal, huh?

Comments on July 22nd vs. The Devil Rays

1. July 22nd, 2007 | 6:43 pm

why wasnt Molina catching in the late innings of today’s game?

2. Jen
      July 22nd, 2007 | 8:13 pm

//why wasnt Molina catching in the late innings of today’s game?//

Why should he? He only got to the Stadium right before game-time. He’s probably never met, let alone caught most of the staff. As much as Jorge has had to catch recently, it’s not fair to Jose (and to the pitching staff) to stick him in a game the minute he steps off of a plane.

3. brockdc
      July 22nd, 2007 | 8:34 pm

“Lastly, what do you think that the last two game scores have done to the Yankees Pythagorean Winning Percentage? Will the impact make the Yankees look even more unlucky this season?”

That thought actually weighed heavily on my mind today. I said to my girlfriend about nine zillion times how much I wish they could bank some of these runs for upcoming series’ against Anaheim and Boston (or hell – even KC). Alas, if these are in fact my beloved Yankees, they will “scattter” ten runs total over the ensuing two series’.

4. Garcia
      July 22nd, 2007 | 8:38 pm

I have a bad feeling about KC, I really hope it’s nothing. Those young kids, Billy Butler and Alex Gordon, in KC can play. It seems like they are getting better starting pitching than a lot more people expected, too.

Let’s Go Yanks!!!

5. July 22nd, 2007 | 8:59 pm

i agree, he looks like sexson to me. Just something about him, how humble he is, how he plays the game. The kid hit two home runs and he was talking about the other hitters. His excitement got me pumped, great story here.

6. j
      July 22nd, 2007 | 9:33 pm

Agree with the indications that Duncan may be Richie Sexson. And if so, that’d be just great. We can use that in 2007 and it would certainly be something you could use to trade for a real need (as we seem to have more Richie Sexson types than we can handle lately.)

The thing I liked about Duncan today was .. and I’m not sure which AB it was in.. but the D-Rays seems to adjust to try to pitch him away and busted him inside on two fastballs. He layed off both of them. I think it was the AB where he grounded out to 2nd.. not bad really despite the result. He swung at the pitch he knew he could hit for power/high average and hit it where it was pitched. Looks like the kid’s got a future and hopefully this means less of Damon until he can get things figured out.

7. antone
      July 22nd, 2007 | 10:01 pm

I was at this game today…unbelievable…but the Devil Rays pitching is god awful…I kept thinking how the Red Sox get to play them 15 more times this season…or whatever it is…hopefully the Yanks can keep the bats hot…this could be a turning point in the season the last two games and all…yes its the Devil Rays but hopefully it will get them in a groove…the crowd was going crazy when Shelly hit his two HRs…I’m sure that will be a moment he will never forget no matter how well he does the rest of his career…I do think it’s too early to pass judgement on Shelly though…this could be another Shane Spencer situation…I even remember Andy Phillips crushing 6 HRs when he first came up…I mean I think at the very least it would be nice to have his power bat off the bench…but so far so good!

8. July 22nd, 2007 | 10:49 pm

“Why should he?”

Because he’s the backup catcher, simple as that. he’s there to give Jorge a rest. they tried hard to get Molina there for this game, and the Yanks are up 21-4(!!!) (and Posada’s played in 92 of 98 games already), and they dont use him?! how hard is it to catch a 21-4 game? you call for a fastball every pitch. if its unfair to anyone, it’s Jorge.

9. July 23rd, 2007 | 8:41 am

~~~I have a bad feeling about KC, I really hope it’s nothing.~~~

Based on the way KC was been playing lately, and the way the Yanks play on the road, it’s understandable why you feel that way.

10. July 23rd, 2007 | 1:27 pm

I’m sure no one will read this but you Steve, as it is buried under all your new posts. But you asked about the pythagorean record after this series. Interestingly, a team that scores 49 runs and allows 26 runs is expected to win 76% of its games, almost exactly 3 of 4. So the Pythagorean Record hasn’t changed that much, and the “unluckiness” factor has actually DEcreased, from -7 before the series to -6 after the series.

The unluckiness would have increased had the Yankees scored 20 runs in a game and LOST.

11. July 23rd, 2007 | 2:19 pm

Thanks mehmattski

July 23rd, 2007 | 2:35 pm

I’m sure no one will read this but you Steve
      ======