• Yanks, Chisox – Still Eye-Balling Each Other

Posted by on July 25th, 2007 · Comments (9)

From George King -

Yankees brass met in Tampa yesterday for 3½ hours. Though they came away knowing what they would like to improve the club with before Tuesday’s trade deadline, it doesn’t mean the Yankees will make a move.

“It went fine,” was all GM Brian Cashman would say of the Legends Field gathering that included George Steinbrenner for about 90 minutes.

Also in attendance were Hank and Hal Steinbrenner; Felix Lopez; Steve Swindal, The Boss’s son-in-law; minor-league head Mark Newman; amateur scouting director Damon Oppenheimer; scout Gene Michael; club president Randy Levine; and COO Lonn Trost.

Billy Connors, a close ally of Steinbrenner’s, was originally invited to the pow-wow via letter last week but informed yesterday to stay away.

The meetings were going on the Yankees and White Sox continue to eye each other. The Yankees had scout Jeff Wetherby watching the White Sox yesterday against the Tigers in a doubleheader in Chicago. Since the Yankees play the White Sox next week, Wetherby likely is doing advance scouting. However, the White Sox have heavily scouted the Yankees recently and had scout Bill Scherrer at Kauffman Stadium last night.

It could be just advance scouting on the Yankees part here. But, last year, when Wetherby went to Philly, it led to the Yankees picking up a player.

When I look at the White Sox roster, I don’t see anything there that the Yankees really need. But, who knows what the Yankees might be thinking here?

Please, please, please, just say “no” to Vazquez and Contreras – if you’re listening, Mr. Cashman.

Comments on Yanks, Chisox – Still Eye-Balling Each Other

1. Garcia
      July 25th, 2007 | 9:30 am

If Cashman gets Contreras I will personally ask Michael Vick to get me all wet and electrocute me, that would be less painful than watching Contreras pitch in a Yankee uniform again.

But Javy, that’s different story but I admit I don’t get the guy – his numbers all say he should be #1 pitcher in the league. His numbers always look good and I still think he could have been a good pitcher for the Yankees, he just wasn’t an ace.

Let me put it to you this way, would you rather have Mussina or Javy? I would rather Javy than Moose.

2. July 25th, 2007 | 9:34 am

Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. Just say no to “Javy.”

3. Garcia
      July 25th, 2007 | 9:55 am

I know what went on in that game, but I don’t have the dislike for Javy that I have for Contreras.

No doubt Javy failed in that game and situation, but for me his biggest failure was at trying to be the Yankees ace that season. He just isn’t that type of pitcher, at least not for the Yanks.

Plus I think that game (game 7 of 2004 ALCS) was lost by the Yankees before it even started, I blame Kevin Brown more than Javy. I think Javy should have started before Brown anyway.

But if you ask me, I’d rather Javy than Moose.

4. July 25th, 2007 | 9:56 am

Steve Swindal, The Boss’s son-in-law;

was there a reconsiliation that i didnt know about?

5. July 25th, 2007 | 10:02 am

~~No doubt Javy failed in that game and situation, but for me his biggest failure was at trying to be the Yankees ace that season.~~~

I would put this at number one:

6. July 25th, 2007 | 10:04 am

~~~Steve Swindal~~~

Yeah, I thought that was strange too.

7. July 25th, 2007 | 10:23 am

Yeah, me too.

Though, the AP says the meeting was 90 minutes, not 3 and 1/2 hours and they don’t mention Hank Steinbrenner or Swindal.

July 25th, 2007 | 10:23 am

Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. Just say no to “Javy.”
      =============
      I’m more concerned with the elbow problem that led to his ineffectiveness the 2nd half of 2004.

The collapse was a teamwide event. I’d trade for Vazquez again, if his arm was sound. He would’ve been back in 2005, if the Yanks weren’t presented with a deal that would bring Johnson here.

Contreras had one good year, one bad year while in NY. He had a couple of good years in Chicago too. Having said that, I’d stay away from him, but it has nothing to do with his percieved inability to pitch in NY.

What I find interesting about Contreras this season is the difference between his Fielding Independent Pitching (FIP) and his ERA.

July 25th, 2007 | 10:35 am

===============
      IIRC, Torre went to Brown because he had the experience.

Neither option was appealing; both were hurt, both were ineffective in the series, and there really wasn’t anyone else to go to other than Esteban Loaiza. Lieber had pitched the day prior, Mussina had gone 2 days earlier, and Hernandez had gone 3 days earlier (IIRC he also had shoulder problems).