• Tigers Want Farnsworth?

Posted by on July 26th, 2007 · Comments (20)

From the Post -

In what only can be described as a strange twist, the Tigers have an interest in taking Kyle Farnsworth off the Yankees’ hands.

According to multiple sources, the Tigers are looking to make a deal that would bring Farnsworth back to the team he pitched 46 games for in 2005. Ideally, the Tigers would like to add Texas closer Eric Gagne but he likely will balk at a deal that sends him to a team where he can’t close.

Tigers scout Dick Egan was at last night’s Yankees’ 7-1 win over the Royals in which Farnsworth didn’t pitch in. What the Yankees would get back depends on how much money the Tigers want to pay on Farnsworth’s salary.

This does make me a little nervous – only because Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett have done so well for the Yankees since they joined the organization. Brian Cashman is way over his head when he has to deal with a guy like Dave Dombrowski.

Still, to get Farnsworth off the team could be a plus – by subtraction alone.

Comments on Tigers Want Farnsworth?

1. RICH
      July 26th, 2007 | 9:07 am

If it’s a plus by subtraction why be nervous about what comes back from Detroit unless the Yankees add other players along with Farnsworth?

2. July 26th, 2007 | 9:36 am

I’m more afraid of who the Tigers might get Cash to throw in, to offset KF’s salary. Based on the last deal with the Tigers, which I noted, it’s clear that D.D. knows prospects better than Cashman.

3. Nick from Washington Heights
      July 26th, 2007 | 10:08 am

July 26th, 2007 | 10:16 am

====================
      Not necessarily. I’m sure Cashman knew going in that Sanchez was injury prone. Whelan & Claggett are projects. They’re cut from the same cloth; hard throwing relievers who have a hard time finding the strike zone.

5. July 26th, 2007 | 10:31 am

“Brian Cashman is way over his head when he has to deal with a guy like Dave Dombrowski.”

====

I’ve gotta disagree with that statement and the one prior to it. Just like when he drafted Andrew Brackman, Cashman knew going into the trade that Sanchez would need the surgery he got. But the Yanks felt that the long-term dividends of the deal would pay off anyway. Whelan’s putting up some pretty good numbers this season even if his walk total is a little high. Batters are hitting just .161 against him so with a little more control he could be an effective reliever in the bigs. Claggett’s struggled.

I don’t think we should write off that trade or Cash’s abilities. And if the Yanks can get some more Detroit prospects for Kyle Farnsworth, I say go to it. I’m all for them trading the future for a crappy pitcher.

6. July 26th, 2007 | 10:32 am

~~~before we write off the Sheff trade, can we wait a couple of years? If Humberto is the team’s closer in 2010, mowing down batters and proving to be a capable successor to Mo, will you admit the possibility that it’s hard to judge a trade involving prospects after 5 months?~~~

What are the odds of Sanchez being the Yankees closer in 2010? Less than 5%, in my book. therefore, if it happens, it will be a fluke – and not because of Cashman’s smarts.

7. Nick from Washington Heights
      July 26th, 2007 | 10:40 am

wait a second, that’s unfair to Cashman. If Humberto succeeds then Cashman and his scouts should be given credit. It’s not exactly a flukish possibility considering that many throughout baseball tought highly of Sanchez’s stuff.

8. Garcia
      July 26th, 2007 | 11:17 am

I really thought that the ripping of Cash and Torre would finally stop once the Yanks started winning, but it doesn’t….I guess it doesn’t matter in doom-and-gloom Yankee land.

I still think Humberto has more than 5% chance of being the Yanks closer and that’s where I feel he’s tracking. But that’s my opinion, your opinion is he has a 5% chance but just cause you quantified his % chance doesn’t make you any more right than me or anyone else. We really don’t know and what Nick mentioned has to be taken into account:
      ~~~It’s not exactly a flukish possibility considering that many throughout baseball tought highly of Sanchez’s stuff.~~~

For me that holds some weight and if a lot of people thought this guy was a top prospect, and I like to believe them when they mention Hughes and Joba, so why should I not believe them now as far as Humberto’s ability?

I will say this about Dombrowski, is there a better GM in baseball? If you look at acquiring free agent signings as a risky proposition, then this guy has taken some huge risks on players and they have all performed more than admirably for him. Look at this list:

Todd Jones
      Sheffield
      K. Rogers
      Carlos Guillen
      Placido Polanco
      Magglio Ordonez
      I-Rod

Then look at the players that have come up from the farm:
      Adam Miller
      Verlander
      Zumaya
      Bonderman (came in the C. Pena trade)
      Granderson

Everything the guy touches turns to gold, can anyone think of a bad acquisition this guy has made? I sure can’t.

Look at some of FA players, err failures, that Theo and Cash have brought in and they get a lot more press:
      Clement
      Jeremy Giambi
      Edgar Renteria
      Pavano
      Contreras
      Farnsworth
      Lugo
      JD Drew
      Ramiro Mendoza

9. JohnnyC
      July 26th, 2007 | 11:33 am

So…I don’t understand. You’ve just amplified and supported Steve’s contention that Cashman is way over his head against Dombrowski. Sounds to me like you’re “ripping” Cashman was well. Rather dramatically too.

10. July 26th, 2007 | 11:51 am

~~~I will say this about Dombrowski, is there a better GM in baseball?~~~

And, don’t forget the work that he did with the Expos and Marlins too.

He’s right up there with Terry Ryan, to me. They’re two of the best in the business, IMHO.

11. Garcia
      July 26th, 2007 | 11:57 am

JohnnyC, When I started talking about Dombrowski I was applauding his body of work and comparing that to other more “known” GMs, notably Cashman and Theo.

I didn’t think I was ripping Cashman, I was just pointing out his failed signings. If that’s ripping him then I guess I am at a loss.

I never said Cash was in over his head when dealing with one of his peers, for me that would be ripping the guy.

If someone told me at work that the last software release I had 5 bugs, then I can’t be mad about a known fact. But if my manager told me that I’d be in over my head when dealing with another one of my peers then I would take that as a dis. I think there’s a difference.

Again, I was applauding Dombrowski’s body of work and because of that then in my humble opinion I think he’s the best. Just cause I don’t rip Cash, doesn’t mean I think he’s the best GM either.

I may like Cash as the GM, but I do know he has made some bad FA signings. I like his vision, as far as the farm is concerned and for me that’s the most important part of his job. FA signings are a risk and very few GMs have the success of a Dombrowski. That’s why how Cash handles the farm is what’s of utmost importance to me.

12. Garcia
      July 26th, 2007 | 12:16 pm

Steve – I don’t think Ryan is that good. They always have all these young good players in the Twins system and they dick around with them for too long and he doesn’t trade from his position of strength. For example, for a good while the Twins had some really good outfield prospects in his systems and he never traded any of them or he never gave them a chance – he basically dicked around with them too much (sending them up, then back down, etc, etc).

Bartlett is another example, he was tearing it up for in AAA but he was kept down there for a while while the Twins suffered with other more inferior players playing SS.

Or even Liriano, he had the guy in the bullpen last year instead of in the starting rotation but he had more inferior pitchers in there.

I dunno, I don’t hold Ryan in such high regard.

13. baileywalk
      July 26th, 2007 | 2:02 pm

Steve, I’m a downright gentle soul compared to these guys when I disagree with you.

I don’t really worry about what they would get back from Detroit in this deal because they are not giving up a real prospect to get Farnsworth — it will strictly be a salary thing.

The Tigers are one of the few teams I WOULDN’T dump Farnsworth on because I fear they can actually turn him around and we would be sending yet another player to help a rival.

Listen, trades don’t always work out, but sending Sheffield to the Tigers — a team we’ll be facing in the playoffs for years — should have brought back nothing but grade-A prospects that were ready (or close) to help the team. Sheffield provided the big bat an already good team needed. Cashman gave them that proverbial “piece of the puzzle.” And in return he got back a talented kid who needed TJS and has not thrown a single pitch for the Yankees.

You guys need to follow Clagget and Whelan more closely. Both have been made into starters, and neither is having a good year. Clagget, who isn’t a hard-thrower, has been mediocre. Whelan was a walk machine before being sent down to High-A to work on his control issues; he excelled against the weak competition, and then came back to Trenton and walked six men in a couple of innings. Considering that Whelan was being talked about as a future closer and someone who could help the team soon, I think he’s been a huge disappointment this year (and I like him a lot).

The Tigers badly need bullpen help. Why give it to them? I want Farnsworth gone as much as anyone, but I don’t want to see him go back to a place he’s had success — where they know how to get the best out of him — and watch him help a rival.

14. Don
      July 26th, 2007 | 2:39 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Silly you.

Still, if you read some of the maniacs on other blogs, it is far worse than what goes on here.

15. rbj
      July 26th, 2007 | 3:40 pm

Not even a healthy Sanchez was going to have an impact on the Yankees this year. Sheff’s backstabbing of Torre leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, I much prefer Abreu now. And besides, there was no place for Sheff on the team and Dombrowski knew it. Cashman wasn’t dealing from a position of strength in that trade.

16. baileywalk
      July 26th, 2007 | 3:59 pm

Cashman wasn’t dealing from a position of strength in that trade.
      —-

I guess he should have traded him to a different team then.

17. rbj
      July 26th, 2007 | 4:40 pm

IIRC, didn’t Shef have at least a limited no trade clause that would make it hard for him to be traded? Not to mention having burned his bridges with a bunch of other teams already. It seems to me we were all applauding the trade at the time, that Cashman got something for Shef.

For me, the jury is still out on whether Brian got anything of value in the trade.

18. baileywalk
      July 26th, 2007 | 5:31 pm

I agree there — we were all happy about this trade at the time. Cashman doesn’t look great after the Sheff and Unit trades, though. If it wasn’t for Vizcaino, he would really have nothing to show for those two deals. I think the Arizona deal, outside of Viz, was pretty horrible. At best, I think Ohlendorf MIGHT work out. Gonzalez and Jackson aren’t playing well at all. And Ohlendorf might be ‘pen-bound.

Sanchez is still all about potential. He’s never really proved anything in the minors (except that he can’t stay healthy).

I like Whelan, but he’s a big question mark now, too.

I don’t think Sheff had any type of no-trade, but he did make a lot of noise about being traded, which scared some teams off.

Sheff and Unit definitely fall under the headline of “addition by subtraction,” but I kind of wish Sheff wasn’t shipped to a direct rival.

19. Don
      July 26th, 2007 | 5:41 pm

Garcia, for an example of extraordinary hate against Joe Torre, read this thread. Mind numbing.

20. Garcia
      July 26th, 2007 | 11:20 pm

Don, That was on a night they won the game, I wonder what they are writing tonight.