• Go West Kei Igawa?

Posted by on July 28th, 2007 · Comments (8)

From The Seattle Times -

Kenji Johjima and Ichiro both expressed pleasant surprise in the clubhouse after overhearing a TV report about the Mariners’ rumored trade interest in Yankees pitcher Kei Igawa, who is also Japanese.

Make it happen Cashman. Make it happen.

Comments on Go West Kei Igawa?

1. rbj
      July 28th, 2007 | 9:39 am

The question is, how much do the Yankees have to give up in order for the Mariners to take Igawa.

2. baileywalk
      July 28th, 2007 | 11:06 am

Igawa is only making a few million a year. I’m sure the M’s wouldn’t mind paying that. Plus, the Yankees can agree to take some low-level non-prospect in return. If this deal is out there, the Yankees are morons not to take it. Even if the M’s pitching staff turns Igawa around in a year, it’s still worth it, because Igawa is so distractingly bad, I think he negatively affects the team. And honestly, he won’t be turned around. He is who he is. Look at Contreras. Everyone, myself included, talked about how Don Cooper got the “real” Contreras to show up and that it was just New York, etc., and then this year he becomes the New York Contreras all over again (only worse).

Igawa would probably benefit from pitching in that ballpark.

Whatever it takes, do it. Even if A-Rod has to fly him there on his private jet.

3. Nick from Washington Heights
      July 28th, 2007 | 12:07 pm

Can we include the international scouts who thought Igawa was a legitimate major-league pitcher in the deal?

4. Don
      July 28th, 2007 | 4:16 pm

I’ve read that the Yankees scouts recommended against Igawa and that Ca$hman went ahead anyway.

July 28th, 2007 | 6:02 pm

=========
      I didn’t. I’ve said for the most part that pitching coaches are overrated.

Contreras had one good year and a bad 1/2 year here. Contreras had a couple good years and a bad year and 1/2 there.

It’s obvious Igawa has talent, it’s a question if he can harness it. It’s also a question where he will do this; here or some other organization. I think he would do well in Safeco if he’s traded there.

6. brockdc
      July 28th, 2007 | 7:00 pm

Look, for all we know, Contreras is forty-five years old. His precipitous decline could be due to dimished skills, poor mechanics, or injury.

I think comparing him with Igawa is apples and oranges: Scouts raved about Contreras’ stuff prior to his acquisition, while AT BEST scouts were ambivalent about Igawa’s transition into MLB.

7. baileywalk
      July 28th, 2007 | 7:49 pm

—-

I think it’s a fair comp, and not because they both came from outside the country. My point is that you are who you are. All the coaching in the world can’t make a bad pitcher good. Contreras has been bad more than he has been good, and more than likely it’s because he’s just not that good. Same with Jeff Weaver and many other pitchers. Igawa just isn’t that good — and I don’t think any pitching guru will straighten him out.

“I didn’t. I’ve said for the most part that pitching coaches are overrated.”

I agree about pitching coaches.

Sorry for the use of “everyone.” Next time I’ll make sure to note “the majority of people.”

8. July 28th, 2007 | 10:53 pm

I don’t think the Yankees need another one-dimensional player, but I am surprised they haven’t talked to Seattle about making a Sexson for Igawa swap. Seattle could shift Ibanez to first and call up Adam Jones.