• July 28th @ The Orioles

Posted by on July 28th, 2007 · Comments (10)

The story of this game is the same as the story for this season in Yankeeland: Too little, too late.

I think it’s time to face it, and admit it, that this Yankees’ team is a “C.T.” – as in “Contender Tease.” They excel at scratching at the door, making it look like they want to come in – but, when it’s time to come in the house, they shy away like a cat sensing water and flee back into the yard.

It’s just about time to start saying “Wait ’til next year!” (again).

Comments on July 28th @ The Orioles

1. Joel
      July 28th, 2007 | 11:27 pm

Steve, for the 113th time, get your finger off of the eject button. We’re 5 out of the wildcard with 58 to play. This is still very doable.

On another issue, can I just say what an absolute freakin’ disaster Johnny Damon has been this year. $52 million and not only has the guy not hit, he can’t play any position in the field. I don’t take any pleasure tearing into a guy like Damon because I think the effort is there, but really, what do you do with this guy?

2. baileywalk
      July 28th, 2007 | 11:39 pm

Joel beat me to it. Damon makes me sick. This loss is really on Bruney, who once again came in and couldn’t get outs (I’m not going to kill Vizcaino for the little blooper, though Myers once again couldn’t get out a lefty). But seriously — couldn’t Damon just strike out? Did he have to hit into a double play? What a waste he is. What is he doing in the lineup? Why is he batting leadoff? And since he’s batting .240, would it have been a friggin’ scandal to use your “big bat” off the bench and put Duncan up there? I’m not in love with Duncan and I don’t think he’s anything great, but Damon is horrible and I didn’t think he’d get a hit off of Walker in a million years. Putting Duncan in also gets Walker out of the game, most likely. Which might have meant not watching Abreu swinging and missing to end the game.

3. brockdc
      July 29th, 2007 | 1:10 am

I loved Damon last year, thought he was the MVP of the team. But, if he’s as healthy as he says he is, how is he NOT cooked? And what do you do with a guy who will be making 13 mil/yr. guaranteed for the next 2.5 years who can’t play the field and hits like Tony Womak’s less talented cousin? Still, no one could have predicted this level of drop-off. Not Cash, not Torre, not NoMaas – not even Steve Phillips!

Oh, and not pinch-hitting Duncan in that situation tonight was indefensible. Cue the Joe Torre apologists.

4. JeremyM
      July 29th, 2007 | 2:20 am

Mike Myers needs to be cut–how many games has he put out of reach now, because he can’t do his job? I’m beyond sick of that guy.

The decision to let Damon bat was ridiculous, what ever happened to the guy who would pinch hit for O’Neill and let Charlie Hayes start playoff games because it was the right move to make? The way he mollycoddles certain players is getting tiresome. Duncan may not be a world beater, but man, give him a chance to show he’s not, he hits 3 home runs right off the bat and then gets relegated to the Bermuda Triangle.

5. July 29th, 2007 | 7:33 am

~~~what ever happened to the guy who would pinch hit for O’Neill and let Charlie Hayes start playoff games because it was the right move to make? ~~~

He left after the 2003 season to go work for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

6. July 29th, 2007 | 7:43 am

~~~Steve, for the 113th time, get your finger off of the eject button. We’re 5 out of the wildcard with 58 to play. ~~~

Joel – are they, NY, playing like a team that’s going to make up that difference? Really, have you seen the last 3 full games that they’ve played?

7. Joel
      July 29th, 2007 | 9:51 am

Come on Steve! You of all people know that any team can stink over a three game period. After 81 games, this team was a pathetic 39-42. Since then, they have gone 16-7 to get back in the race. It is way too soon to write them off.

8. July 29th, 2007 | 9:58 am

In terms of the math, sure, they still have a chance. But, in terms of their ability to beat teams other than the D-Rays and Royals, well, you tell me…what are we seeing from them in the last few weeks?

9. Joel
      July 29th, 2007 | 11:31 am

I see a team that took series against Minnesota, the Angels, Toronto, a much-improved Kansas City team and of course, beat up on Tampa Bay.

Keep the faith, my man!