• July 31st vs. The White Sox

Posted by on July 31st, 2007 · Comments (11)

It’s still sweet to pound Jose Contreras.

It’s not everyday that you see eight homers in a single game from the Yankees. In fact, the last time the Yankees had seven homers in a game was on May 30, 1961.

How is it that the Yankees play so well at home this season and so not so well on the road?

I have to shift gears here for a minute and talk about what an idiot Steve Phillips of ESPN is when it comes to placing a dollar sign on the muscle.

I’m driving home tonight from work and listening to Phillips on ESPN Radio in NYC on 1050 AM. He’s talking about Eric Gagne. Phillips said that he considers Melky Cabrera to be a fourth outfielder, at best, on most teams and that he would not let trading Cabrera stand in the way of his team winning a pennant – and that he would have traded Melky, in a minute, for Gagne (and that the Yankees were not smart to decline the Rangers offer of Gagne for Cabrera).

I thought of that again as Melky made a great catch early in this game and then again when he homered in this contest as well.

Steve Phillips is clueless. Melky Cabrera adds so much to this Yankees team. How many games is Eric Gagne going to pitch for the Yankees in two months? Maybe 20 times?

Oh, wait, that’s right – Cabrera is just a fourth outfielder, according to all the experts, like Phillips. Perhaps I should start calling Melky Cabrera “E4O” – for “Experts’ Fourth Outfielder”?

You know what? As a Yankees fan, I would rather not win a pennant with “E4O” on my team than win a pennant without him and having Eric Gagne instead.

Lastly, that A-Rod homer will come, really, it will. In fact, it would not shock me to see him get it on the first pitch that John Danks throws to him tomorrow.

Comments on July 31st vs. The White Sox

1. Joel
      July 31st, 2007 | 11:06 pm

As much as I wanted Gagne, no way for Melky. The guy is just 22 and he’s only going to get better.

Yankee haters (like Steve Phillips and Buster Olney) will be saddened by the fact that the 2001-2006 Steinbrenner Restoration–which followed the 1991-2000 Stick Rebuilding–is officially over. If The Boss had any meaningful control of baseball operations, the Yankees would have easily dealt Melky or Ian Kennedy for Gagne. The Cashman Era is in full swing.

A side note: Nice piece of managing by Mr. Torre tonight in getting Farnsworth in for a low pressure inning. It was nice to see the guys on the bench (including Posada) be so supportive after he came in from his 1-2-3 inning.

July 31st, 2007 | 11:50 pm

===============
      Melky Cabrera, -6 RCAA

He’d start in Boston before JD Drew & Coco Crisp
      He’d start in Cleveland before Nixon & Delucci
      He’d start in Detroit before Monroe
      He’d be the 4th OF in Anaheim.
      He’d start in Seattle before Ibanez

That’s just the contending teams.

He’d start in Toronto before Lind.
      He’d be the 4th OF in Minnesota.
      He’d start in Oakland before Buck, in Texas before Catalanotto, and I’ve lost interest in this excersise…

All that to say that if he’s a 4th OF on most clubs, he’s a heck of a 4th OF :)

3. bloodyank78
      August 1st, 2007 | 12:19 am

“Yankee haters (like Steve Phillips and Buster Olney) will be saddened by the fact that the 2001-2006 Steinbrenner Restoration–which followed the 1991-2000 Stick Rebuilding–is officially over.”

That’s a very poignant post. I think we saw what was alluded to above by Cash’s statement tonight regarding the Ranger’s refusal to let go of certain names in their trade-negotiations of players; namely Melky and certain front-line pitching prospects. Either way, tonite was a joy in watching all those bombs. I look forward to Joba in pen and I REALLY look forward to Mr. Phil Hughes in the rotation this Sat. Phil has seen the bigs, he’s hungry, he wants to show something, and most of all his stuff is nasty.

(Steve, I apologize and I must eat some crow. I stated that I would not be coming to your blog earlier during Spring Training. Your A-Rod bashing drove me nuts. Needless to say, you don’t have much negative to say regarding our third baseman this season, and you have one of the best blogs on the net. So I’m sorry Steve for being an Ass. Your Yankee blog is one I look forward to visiting everyday)

4. JeremyM
      August 1st, 2007 | 12:21 am

Phillips is, once again, a moron. I hate the shell of Baseball Tonight, it’s a joke. So if the Yanks dump Melky, who plays center, the corpse of Johnny Damon? Talk Bernie out of retirement? Call up Thompson? Reacquire Crosby? Come on. I’m very happy with him as the starting center fielder on this club.

5. Mrs. Peterson-Kekich
      August 1st, 2007 | 12:58 am

Just like he didn’t let trading Scott Kazmir stand in the way of getting Zambrano. Of course, he thought he was getting Carlos . . .

6. Josh
      August 1st, 2007 | 2:52 am

Well it’s not just folks like Phillips making those comments. I heard “Mr. Yankee” Mike Francesa make very similar comments abt. Melky not too long ago. Of course, I agree with the posters here. I think Melky not only is Melky a starter on most teams but a future star and already a very good player. Has Phillips not noticed his .290 average and lights out defense? Does he actually ever watch the guy play?

I for one am not that worried abt. Gagne going to the Sox. Let ‘em have him. He will help them but so what? We have plenty of horses.

7. Garcia
      August 1st, 2007 | 8:32 am

Mrs. Peterson-Kekich, Unfortunately that wasn’t Steve Phillips who made that trade – though I wish it had been – that was Jim Duquette (Mets part-time GM at the time).

Sensationalizing everything is what people who work for ESPN do.

8. rbj
      August 1st, 2007 | 8:38 am

I much prefer keeping Melky. Gange would be a two month rental (can’t see him accepting a set up role for Mo for three years) and Melky is cheap (frees up money for A-Rod).

But to call Steve Phillips stupid or a moron is simple redundancy. He wanted the Tigers to trade Zumaya last year to get help for their stretch run. There’s a reason Phillips is on tv and not the GM’s suite.

9. August 1st, 2007 | 8:39 am

bloodyank78 – we’re cool. No need to apologize. And, thanks for the kind words and for visiting the site!

10. RICH
      August 1st, 2007 | 8:59 am

Steve Phillips? Consider the source.

What’s he ever been right about?

11. brockdc
      August 1st, 2007 | 1:47 pm

What’s more “now”?

Steven Phillips’ cluelessness

OR

ESPN’s spiralling descent into mindless pandering to the LCD