• Wilson Betemit – Possible Sleeper?

Posted by on July 31st, 2007 · Comments (18)

Since we keep hearing about Scott Proctor for Wilson Betemit, I decided to look more into Betemit – beyond what I’ve done so far.

This is what I’ve found: As a switch-hitter, he’s a joke batting right-handed. But, against RHP, he’s got some interesting stats.

In the last three seasons, to date, Wilson Betemit has 682 PA vs. RHP. And, in those 682 PA, he has 66 XBH and 77 BB. That’s not too shabby.

So, when Dan Graziano and Ed Price of the Star-Ledger write:

The Yankees view Betemit as a utility player they can use at first base this year and, if Alex Rodriguez leaves, at third base in 2008.

I can see where this just might not be the worst trade in the world – even with my appreciation of what Scott Proctor brings to the table.

Update, July 31, 2007, 12:35 pm ET: ESPN.com is now reporting that Proctor for Betemit is a done deal:

The Dodgers and Yankees have agreed in principle on a trade that would send reliever Scott Proctor to the Dodgers for infielder Wilson Betemit, sources told ESPN The Magazine’s Buster Olney.

The Dodgers, who have a 5.61 bullpen ERA since the All-Star break, have been in on a number of trade discussions involving relievers but zeroed in on Proctor over the last 24 hours.

The Yankees view Betemit as another first-base/DH/bench option for this year, and a potential third-base replacement for Alex Rodriguez next year.

Betemit is batting .231 with 10 home runs and 26 RBIs this season off the Dodgers’ bench. Proctor is 2-5 with a 3.81 ERA, and his 54 1/3 innings out of the Yankees’ bullpen are tied for fourth-most among AL relievers.

Comments on Wilson Betemit – Possible Sleeper?

1. MJ
      July 31st, 2007 | 12:30 pm

Done…

The Yanks need yet another reserve infielder like they need a hole in the head. Basak and Cairo aren’t enough, they need to add a .779 OPS guy who isn’t considered a defensive stud to the team? And, seriously, a potential replacement for A-Rod next year? That’s laughable.

Cashman and Torre are a tag-team of dumb and dumber. I want someone to explain to me why this trade makes any sense.

2. July 31st, 2007 | 12:39 pm

Thanks MJ. I just saw that too.

I think this is a next year trade. I think the Yankees know that A-Rod is going and they can’t stop him.

3. July 31st, 2007 | 12:41 pm

Nah, Betemit can’t replace A-Rod

4. July 31st, 2007 | 12:45 pm

~~~Where are those innings going to be made up? Do I really want to see Joba getting taxed like that? Do I want to see more of Ron Villone?~~~

How about Jeff Karstens?

5. July 31st, 2007 | 12:46 pm

July 31st, 2007 | 12:54 pm

==========
      If it means less Cairo & Basak, why not?

EDSP’s innings can be made up from some combination of Bruney, Farnsworth, Chamberlain, Vizcaino, Kartsens, Rasner, or any other arm they may pick up today…

7. baileywalk
      July 31st, 2007 | 12:59 pm

Betemit has a lot of power, and I’ve seen him beat up on Mets’ pitching, but I still don’t understand this trade.

The biggest problem on the team right now is the bullpen. Farnsworth has been flat-out awful, Myers can’t get out lefties, Villone is mediocre, Henn hasn’t been good, Bruney can’t throw strikes. Joba will be up, but it’s his first big-league experience. Even if Edwar comes up to replace someone — as Peter Abraham mentioned — he’s just another question mark considering what Torre did to him.

So why weaken the bullpen? For a guy that probably won’t play very often?

I’ve never seen Betemit play first base. His defensive elsewhere is questionable. Is Torre going to use him at first?

I don’t think this deal is about A-Rod leaving next year. Torre wanted a utility guy who could play all positions. Which is why they wanted Wigginton.

The Yanks have one reliable reliever, and two semi-reliable relievers. And they traded one of them away.

Hopefully there is a total revamping of the bullpen then: with Farnsworth being traded, and Joba, Edwar and Britton (who’s on his way back soon) being added.

July 31st, 2007 | 1:00 pm

And don’t forget Britton & Edwar. Is Veras still on the DL?

9. rbj
      July 31st, 2007 | 1:11 pm

Actually MikeNY, the emphasis is good. Betemit cannot replace A-Rod. Alex provides a lot more offense and is much more marketable as he brings the all-time HR title back to pinstripes & done cleanly. Pay Alex the $32 mil/yr.

10. MJ
      July 31st, 2007 | 1:13 pm

I think the Yankees know that A-Rod is going and they can’t stop him.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m not 100% convinced of that given (1) the Yanks’ ability to spend more than anyone else, and (2) the limited number of teams that can conceivably pay for A-Rod.

Do you really believe that the Yanks will sell the fans the disgusting idea of Wilson Betemit as A-Rod’s replacement next year? Inasmuch as the “All-Star at every position” strategy hasn’t worked out the last 5 years, going the opposite route – dogshit in place of a superstar – won’t cut it. Look at that lineup next year with Betemit in for Alex and with everyone a year older. Tell me why you think the Yanks won’t bend over for #13 come November.

11. baileywalk
      July 31st, 2007 | 1:21 pm

Jeez, MJ. “Disgusting idea”? “Dogshit in place of a superstar”? Chillll, bro.

Listen, I can’t totally explain this, but maybe Cashman simply wanted a good bench player and this was his chance to get it? Maybe he’s sick of people like Cairo. I don’t see how this helps them this year, but it does give them a legit bench player that can replace a starter short term.

I seriously doubt that Betemit is looked at as A-Rod’s replacement. If we believe that, then we have to believe they saw Ty Wiggington as A-Rod’s replacement, and I just don’t buy that.

One thing to think about is that if they decide to trade Cano this off-season for something, Betemit could take his place (I hope they don’t, but it’s something to keep in mind).

12. July 31st, 2007 | 1:27 pm

~~~Sorry for clicking so many times it wasn’t sending and now I ended up posting the same comment 5 times~~~

No sweat. I deleted the dupes.

As far as replacing A-Rod, W-Bet does not have to do that. All W-Bet has to do is play 3B and get 120 XBH+BB in 2008 – if Alex goes. It’s not replacing A-Rod’s numbers. No one can do that. It’s about being a decent plug at a hole. It’s not about being a superstar.

13. July 31st, 2007 | 1:31 pm

~~~Tell me why you think the Yanks won’t bend over for #13 come November.~~~

Even the Yankees have limits when it comes to spending. It doesn’t make sense to pay one guy $30+ mill a year, for many, many, years in a row, no matter how good he is…it’s just too many apples in one basket.

14. MJ
      July 31st, 2007 | 1:34 pm

Bailey – I agree, I don’t think they see Betemit as A-Rod’s replacement or, I should say, at least I hope they don’t. And if Betemit is simply the next Miguel Cairo-type of super-sub for all four infield positions then, fine, 2008 will at least give the Yanks a more potent bat for the bench (although defensively, Betemit’s not very special).

When you say that maybe Cashman is “sick of people like Cairo,” I have to chuckle since it’s Cashman who keeps on bringing him back.

So, if Betemit is simply the new super-sub, then this trade is ok for 2008. But only if they’re not seeing Betemit as anything beyond a bench player. He’s not an everyday player, not for the Yanks and not really for anyone else that expects to contend.

15. MJ
      July 31st, 2007 | 1:44 pm

~~~~~~Even the Yankees have limits when it comes to spending.~~~~~

Obviously. It’s why Beltran is in Queens instead of the Bronx.

~~~~~It doesn’t make sense to pay one guy $30+ mill a year, for many, many, years in a row, no matter how good he is…it’s just too many apples in one basket.~~~~~

I don’t disagree in theory. But that being said, Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones at $15M don’t make much sense either. If prices are at ridiculously irrational levels and the Yanks want to be more judicious with their money then what’ll they do, sit on their hands? Hughes/Chamberlain will most likely replace two of Igawa/Mussina/Pettitte/Clemens next year. That’s getting cheaper right there. Wang and Cano are still cheap. So is Melky. Find a way to get Giambi off the team and you’re creating financial flexibility for the one investment that truly makes sense in today’s nutty market.

The Yanks absolutely need to get more efficient but they don’t need to be the Oakland A’s either. Plus, and I’m being honest here, I don’t think A-Rod will actually get $30M/season. I know that’s what Boras said, but he says lots of stuff. There’s a whole lot of ground between Boras’s fantasy and what reality will be.

16. baileywalk
      July 31st, 2007 | 1:47 pm

————-

That, my friend, is the truth. Has he finally learned this lesson?

17. Don
      July 31st, 2007 | 2:03 pm

Veras is rehabbing.

18. Yu Hsing Chen
      July 31st, 2007 | 6:43 pm

If Betemit ever figures out how to hit lefties he’s be awsome. of ourse the Yankees could simply try a platoon bewween him and Shelley Duncan… but that makes too much sense for Joe to understand