• August 1st vs. The White Sox

Posted by on August 1st, 2007 · Comments (11)

This is now four good starts in a row for Pettitte. Whatever was bothering him at the start of July must now be moot.

It’s great to watch that Cano, Melky, Phillips, Duncan group have so much fun in the dugout. It does help add some life to this team. It’s a shame that some of them may go when Giambi and Rico come back.

Is A-Rod really “Oh’fer” his last 21 now? (This includes his last AB in the resumed game in Baltimore last Friday.) Dan Graziano offers a look into Alex’s head these days. Part of me wants to say that Rodriguez is not pressing – but, another part of me wants to say that we should have expected it. It’s no big deal now – because the team is winning. However, in the bigger picture, it does suggest that Alex is still prone to pressing – and, if the Yankees make it to October…well, if A-Rod presses and fails in another post-season series for New York, that’s not going to help his Yankees legacy.

Lastly, how about those Texas Rangers! The Yankees are now just two back in the loss column of the Wildcard. Sooooooo close that you can just taste it, huh?

Comments on August 1st vs. The White Sox

1. SteveB
      August 2nd, 2007 | 1:20 am

I’d take Giambi over almost all of those guys, even as much as I like them. But the fact that Rico is still on the team, makes me kinda gag.

August 2nd, 2007 | 8:13 am

==============
      His legacy will always be tied to his contract.

If the Yanks win the WS it’s because they were supposed to, with the payroll and all, if they don’t it’s because they don’t have the heart, or too many stars or some other bs metric people will pull out their a$$.

As for pressing, every athlete does it. He’s had good postseason series, he’s had bad ones. Comes with the territory.

3. antone
      August 2nd, 2007 | 8:40 am

Posada has hit 3 HRs and had 15 RBI every month this season(see link below). I don’t know if this has ever happened before but that is pretty damn consistent. So since he hit two HRs last night I guess he only has one left this month!

4. MJ
      August 2nd, 2007 | 9:40 am

===================================

All it took was an 0-for-20 for you to dredge up negativity? While I agree that he’s pressing, isn’t ok for the guy to slump after having more or less one of the best seasons ever by a Yankee 3rd baseman? And why are you so quick to correlate this to what he might or might not do in October?

Every player is prone to pressing when they’re up against a big milestone. Torre even said that in his press conference last night, citing Jeter and Soriano by name when they were chasing whatever personal statistical milestones.

Lay off him…you were doing so well…

5. Garcia
      August 2nd, 2007 | 9:43 am

Raf, you are just too practical. You are suppose to be acting all irrational and you should be ripping “Nay-Rod”.

If you want to see what the NY papers think of ARod, then all you have to do is look at is how differently the NY papers print their headlines about Glavine.

6. August 2nd, 2007 | 10:15 am

~~~Lay off him…you were doing so well…~~~

Hey, I wrote that “It’s no big deal now” – and merely *suggested* – yes, I wrote the word “suggest” in the entry – that he’s allowing himself to press here.

Let’s not make it out like I’m nailing the guy to a cross or someting.

7. bloodyank78
      August 2nd, 2007 | 10:39 am

I heard Jimmy Fox and Harmon Killewbrew also went into slumps and faced an extended period of time (for them) between 499 and 500. Alex is in good company. It’s just the nature of beast with these milestones. Unless a player has liquid methane running through his veins; his approach at the plate will be affected while trying to accomplish what everyone and their mother are watching and waiting for you to do. Let’s hope it all becomes moot today. Arod has a .400+ career average against Garland.

8. MJ
      August 2nd, 2007 | 11:03 am

Let’s not make it out like I’m nailing the guy to a cross or someting.
      =======================================

No, you already did that to him last year, remember? :)

9. RICH
      August 2nd, 2007 | 11:09 am

I like the logic being played up in the papers and airwaves:

2006: Arod can’t hit in clutch situations, he’s proven it. He’s not clutch.

2007: Arod hits well in clutch, late situations but because he can’t hit a home run in the last week while the Yanks have been winning most of those games he’s not clutch.

I’m constantly surprising myself when I find myself feeling sorry for him but I hope wherever he ends up playing next he’s happy and treated well.

The way the media is growing these days I wonder who the next target will be if/when Arod leaves. I wouldn’t be surprised if it falls on Jeter next – as well as he’s been treated over the years the media and fans enjoy taking SOMEONE down a peg and they’ll need to have someone to fixate on.

August 2nd, 2007 | 11:32 am

=============
      After 2006, I found it better to tune them out

BA:.311 OBP/SLG:.398/.572 OPS:.970 (H)
      BA:.270 OBP/SLG:.386/.474 OPS:.860 (R)

Those were his splits from last year. He couldn’t perform in NY, but his OPS was 110 points higher there.

And in order to get “dirt” on him, you had to slice and dice the numbers; he didn’t hit in the clutch on days in august where the temp was over 80 degrees when the Yanks were down one or tied in day games after night games where the pitcher faced was a righthanded fastballer who was fairskinned…

Idjits.

11. August 2nd, 2007 | 12:19 pm

~~~No, you already did that to him last year, remember? :)~~~

Hey, and, it didn’t kill him, it made him stronger! ;-)