• August 3rd vs. The Royals

Posted by on August 3rd, 2007 · Comments (10)

With this win tonight, here’s the Yankees Won-Loss record in games where Worm Killer Wang has made an appearance:

2007: 14-6
    2006: 23-11
    2005: 11-7

At this season’s pace, the W-L mark for 2007 should be around 21-9. If that happens, you can say that Wang has a hand in about 20% of the Yankees wins in the last two seasons. Considering that Wang appears in only 20% of the Yankees total games in a season, that’s an impressive impact that he has on the team. In rough math, at the end of the day, this all says that the Yankees win about 70% of the time that Worm Killer Wang pitches (over the last two years).

Wednesday may be Sundae at Carvel, but, in Yankeeland, Worm Killer Wang day is winner day.

Closing thoughts: Do we really need Vizcaino and Rivera pitching the 8th and 9th tonight? Is there no one else in the pen who can pitch either the 8th or the 9th with a 6-run lead in the game? And, am I the only one who is watching this team click in the field and at the plate now and wondering if Jason Giambi coming back is going to mess with the collective good-time thing that’s going on presently with the Yankees?

Comments on August 3rd vs. The Royals

1. August 3rd, 2007 | 10:56 pm

I’m afraid of Giambi coming back too. We saw this happen last year with Sheffield and Matsui. People are saying that Giambi can only help this team and that his impending return is a good thing. I strongly disagree, especially if Damon starts to hit again.

2. dave24s
      August 3rd, 2007 | 11:00 pm

Maybe Giambi will re-injure the foot?

Terrible thing to hope for.

Okay, maybe Torre realizes he can’t kill the team chemistry by putting Giambi in everyday and uses him off the bench and as DH on odd days.

Yeah…sure.

3. August 3rd, 2007 | 11:11 pm

you’re not the only one Steve. the same thing seemed to happen last year with Sheff. and i agree about ‘Caino – i understand using Mo, cuz it’s been several days for him, but not Caino – why not Henn, or Myers for more than 1 batter?

anyway, Phil tomorrow!

4. Harley
      August 3rd, 2007 | 11:30 pm

I’m worried like everybody else. I’m not all that sold on the notion of chemistry. But production ain’t bad. And Giambi’s return might hinder that. And given Torre’s Big Love for veterans? I shudder to think Duncan is the odd man out. While Cairo remains glued to the pine.

5. RICH
      August 4th, 2007 | 5:22 am

I had no problem with Vizcaino and Rivera both pitching. Rivera hadn’t pitched since Sunday and Vizcaino pitched Sunday and Wednesday for the same period. I don’t know if they had warmed up without getting in a game during the week.

When were you going to get Rivera in a game? Maybe you could push Vizcaino out another day but Karstens and Villone pitched a lot Thursday and Farnsworth doesn’t do back to back. I don’t know if they want Henn pitching back to back either.

They could have used Bruney but do you think Bruney could go 2 innings without needing to bring in someone else with what would be a 6-1 lead at the time?

Who would you have pitched?

6. August 4th, 2007 | 7:43 am

~~~Who would you have pitched?~~~

I would have let Myers pitch the full 8th and used Henn or Villone in the 9th. Again, it was a 6-run lead and you only needed 6 outs.

7. christopher
      August 4th, 2007 | 8:50 am

If you only use Mo when it’s a traditional save opportunity, he would have only pitched ~20 times this year.

I have a feeling that if Bruney, Henn, or Villone pitched, we would have needed Viz or Mo anyway. I don’t have problem using Viz or Mo given that they needed to get work in. If Mo or Viz had already pitched 3 or 4 times this week, then I would agree that they shouldn’t have been in there.

Re: Giambi, I agree with you Steve. If we’re talking about the 2002/2003 version of Giambi, then it’s a no brainer. Unfortunately, the 2007 version doesn’t bring much to the table. The offense has no problem scoring runs. It’s more important that we have the best defensive team possible – which means Cabrera and Phillips need to stay.

Unfortunately, money talks and there’s no way that Damon AND Giambi are going to be part-time players. Something has to give.

8. Dampfi
      August 4th, 2007 | 10:56 am

I have a bad feeling about bringing Giambi back, too. Joe hasn’t shown me that he learns from his mistakes very often (he certainly hasn’t stopped abusing relievers), and it is a lot like rushing Shef back last year.

On the other hand, it really comes down to Shelley Duncan or Giambi. While Duncan provides lots of energy and has performed well, I’ve got to think that Giambi will provide as much or more performance.

9. RICH
      August 4th, 2007 | 11:05 am

I agree that Myers could have pitched the 8th (if he could get through it) but Rivera needed/wanted the work.

10. baileywalk
      August 4th, 2007 | 11:16 am

It’s so funny how I keep reading about people being “scared” of Giambi’s return. The 2006 Yankees did not lose in the playoffs because Gary Sheffield came back. They lost primarily because their pitching stunk (Johnson and Wright were punching bags) and Damon and Giambi stopped hitting toward the end of the year and into the playoffs. A-Rod also stopped hitting (once the playoffs started). It was a mistake to take Melky out of center, no doubt about it, but that one decision did NOT make the team collapse. If you look at the numbers of Damon and Giambi late in the year, they slumped badly.

As long as Torre keeps Melky in centerfield, I don’t really see this hurting the team. Putting Giambi in the field is a mistake, but I wouldn’t worry too much about the at-bats of Phillips and Duncan. Both are playing well right now, but I don’t think either is as good as Giambi (even this old version of Giambi).

But you could keep everyone on the team very easily. All you have to do is DFA Cairo, which they should, but probably won’t, do. With Betemit around, you don’t need Cairo. You can keep Duncan here as a big bat off the bench. Cairo doesn’t seem to have a role right now. I would DFA him, and have Damon and Giambi split time in the DH role, with Damon getting some corner-outfield work.