• August 11th @ The Indians

Posted by on August 12th, 2007 · Comments (6)

Mike Mussina had a memorable night in this contest. He got Yankees win #100, for him – funny, I would have guessed that he had that already – and became just the ninth player ever to win 100 games with two teams. (I would have guessed that had happened more times than that too. Shows you what I know.)

And, Moose almost pitched 8 innings last night. (He registered 7.2 for the game.) Now, that would have been something. The last time that Mussina pitched 8+ innings in a game was May 31, 2006. Although, for the record, Mike came close to eight, again, on June 13th of this season.

The Yankees offense was rolling in this game. Hey, even José Molina had four hits. This game was the 5th time the Yankees had 19+ hits in a contest this season. In the A.L. this season, on the whole, a team has gotten 19+ hits in a game 17 times – and it’s been the Yankees 29% of the time. That’s pretty impressive.

Comments on August 11th @ The Indians

1. singledd
      August 12th, 2007 | 9:39 am

Hey Steve,
      First off… kudos for this blog. While most simply rehash the daily news, you always come up with unique and refreshing tidbits of Yankee info. You are obviously a thoughtful and creative guy.

And while many blogs ‘cheerlead’ for the team, I understand you sometimes need to present the opposing viewpoint, devil’s advocate that you are.

But buddy… it’s time for you to dust off your ‘I was sooooooooo wrong about this team’ and touchup your ‘I was sooooooooo wring about Brian Cashman’ speeches!

Look at this team! It’s a pleasure to watch. I don’t know when it happened, but we went from slow and old to youthful and energetic. We have 12 guys on this team who came from the Yankee organization and more talent waiting in the wings.

We have not gotten a big name in 3 years… except for Clem. Our improvements seemed to be very slow and barely noticable. But all of a sudden we have very solid team with a solid future.

He wasn’t flashy, but Man-of-Cash has changed the entire dynamic of this organization. Looking at our team, farm and payroll after 2005 had me very worried about the future, but now I look forward to the upcoming years.

It is FUN to be a Yankee fan again.
      Really… didn’t all this kinda sneak up on us?

2. j
      August 12th, 2007 | 10:46 am

Steve, When you thought Mussina was done based on his performance at the end of last year, I argued and said you were wrong. About 15 starts into this season, you were right and I started to think Mussina was washed up and should be shown the door as long the percentage on the dollar wasn’t too low. So, although Moose has caused me to put my foot in my mouth because he’s put together a string of quality/dominant starts for about a month now, I’ll take it because it means the Yankees rotation is f-in’ awesome.

Is it too early to start talking playoff rotation?

3. Garcia
      August 12th, 2007 | 10:50 am

Agree 110% with singledd.

Sorry to go off topic, I started reading the book “The Entitled” from Frank DeFord and I highly recommend this book to anyone into a good fiction book – though the characters can be easily replaced with real characters in the majors. I know I love to know what good baseball books people are enjoying, or have enjoyed.

Steve, I’ve read quite a few books that you have reviewed and I actually look forward to those kind of posts. I also love it when Alex Belth does it, too. If you have any you’d like to pass along, then please do so.

4. August 12th, 2007 | 8:49 pm

~~~kudos for this blog~~~

Thanks!

~~~it’s time for you to dust off your ‘I was sooooooooo wrong about this team’ and touchup your ‘I was sooooooooo wring about Brian Cashman’ speeches!~~~

The team? Maybe. Sure. Cashman? I dunno. Yeah, he did a great job fixing the holes. But, he created the holes in the first place too.

5. August 12th, 2007 | 8:52 pm

~~~Is it too early to start talking playoff rotation?~~~

Heck no. It will be interesting to see which of the five gets bumped. It won’t be Wang, Pettitte or Clemens. The Hughes/Moose thing could be a tough call. Torre probably puts Hughes in the pen.

Hugh-Jo-Mo, anyone?

6. August 12th, 2007 | 8:54 pm

~~~If you have any you’d like to pass along, then please do so.~~~

Good timing. I should have something up this week on a book I’m reading now.