• August 12th @ The Indians

Posted by on August 12th, 2007 · Comments (11)

I missed the Yankees game today. We took the kids down to Trenton to see the Thunder play. I was shocked to see Mike Kinkade playing third for the Thunder. Just ten days ago, I saw him playing third for the Somerset Patriots. I had no idea that he was picked up by Trenton on August 7th. That sort of tells you something about the depth of position players that the Yankees have in the minors – or, rather, the lack thereof. I did get to see Jeff Marquez take the mound for the Thunder today:

JM54_081207.jpg

I see what the scouts mean about him. His ball has a lot of movement – even in his warm-up tosses, it was dancing.

That’s the good news. The bad news? Juan Miranda. He has about as much fun in the batter’s box with breaking pitches as Pedro Cerrano.

They announced the Giambi homer during the game at Trenton. And, they gave an update when the score hit 4-0. I saw Pettitte pitching in the seventh while we were in the gift shop at Waterfront Park. All told, I knew that things were looking good for the Yanks today. But, when I got home and saw that the Red Sox lost today, well, let’s just say that it’s a Snoopy Dance kinda of day in Yankeeland today. Would you agree?

Comments on August 12th @ The Indians

1. singledd
      August 12th, 2007 | 7:51 pm

2. Josh
      August 12th, 2007 | 8:20 pm

Is there anyone on this board who honestly now thinks that the Yankees can’t catch the Sox? I say 95 wins will take the division. I wouldn’t bet agst us at this point.

Further, is there anyone on this board who would now take Gagne for Melky or Kennedy? Only if you are really kidding yourself. Perhaps Cashman and the Yankee brass really do know what they’re doing.

3. August 12th, 2007 | 8:57 pm

~~~You forgot to say Kudos to a player who once more has helped the Yankees: Eric Gagne.~~~

Aw, I figured I said it yesterday and saying it two days in a row would be really rubbing it in.

4. August 12th, 2007 | 9:03 pm

~~~Further, is there anyone on this board who would now take Gagne for Melky or Kennedy? ~~~

I noticed the NoMaas.org entry today on that:

“08.12.2007 The wise words of Steve Phillips”

That was what I wrote about two weeks ago:

Someone would have to be nuts to have wanted to move Melky – or even consider it.

5. Corey
      August 13th, 2007 | 1:26 am

man, imagine if nieves was starting all these games with jorge out

6. baileywalk
      August 13th, 2007 | 6:14 am

man, imagine if nieves was starting all these games with jorge out
      ——-

I liked the Molina move a lot, but I never thought it would have this kind of impact. It’s now looking like a small but brilliant move by Cashman. The sort of thing he doesn’t get credit for. I didn’t think the Proctor deal made a ton of sense at the time, but it turns out that with two small deals (for Betemit and Molina) Cashman completely strengthened the bench. He did in one week what he couldn’t do the entire off-season.

So far so good with juggling Damon, Giambi and Duncan. Personally, I think Duncan should get the least playing time. He’s exciting, but considering who the other two are, Duncan should just be brought off the bench or maybe given the occasional start at first (where he’s not good, but not Giambi bad either).

7. Santino53
      August 13th, 2007 | 9:32 am

While I totally agree with the Joba usage plan,
      when added to Farnsworth’s limited availability,
      there will be nights when Joe has no good option
      other than Vizcaino to cover two to three innings . It underscores either fix Farnsworth and pitch him or ditch him. Edwar deserves another legitimate look.

8. Garcia
      August 13th, 2007 | 10:07 am

Santino53, I agree. I understand why it was hard to work in Edwar back in July, but no longer is Proctor around and Farnsworth has fallen out of favor so Edwar’s best chance is now and they should bring him up. If they have an option of Edwar or Joba on a nightly basis then the Yanks will be fine.

If you can use that formula for the 7th inning of each and every game – Edwar/Joba pitches – then you are guaranteed to keep them both sharp and fresh. Cashman needs to make this his final move and then watch this team go.

I am extremely happy with how the roles are playing out on this team and Torre has done a wonderful job of handling it all.

Big game needed by Wang today.

Go Yanks!!!!!

9. Corey
      August 13th, 2007 | 10:11 am
    10. baileywalk
      August 13th, 2007 | 11:02 am

Edwar deserves another legitimate look.
      —-

I think Yankee fans have lost their voices screaming for Ramirez or Britton at this point. The “Times” mentioned Edwar would be back up, and apparently Joe brought up his name.

If Joe wants his longman Karstens, fine, but why Brower and Villone? Brower must have been a placating move for Torre. I’m sure Torre whined about all the young kids Cashman was giving him to “deal with,” so Cashman threw a veteran at him that he could run into the ground. Pure speculation on my part, but why else would he get the nod over Britton and Edwar?

11. Joel
      August 13th, 2007 | 11:41 am

Villone should be DFA’d. He has no special value as a lefty and has been very hittable of late. But I’m willing to cut Joe and Cashman some slack on Brower–for now. Joe values major league experience and Brower–who was very good in AAA–has it. I’m willing to keep Brower on a short leash and see what happens.

I have no doubt that Edwar and Britton will figure into the Yanks bullpen plans at some point. If not in 2007 then next year.