• August 13th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on August 13th, 2007 · Comments (28)

Rough start for Worm Killer Wang today – but, like an ace, he gutted it out for six innings. Joba Chamberlain continued his electric debut. Joba is the now the first Yankees pitcher since 1957 to have SO>=2 and BF<=8 in each of the first three games of his career. How about Mo? Ah, they were kind of dinks dropping in, I'm not worried.

Now, this was a game for Melky - great catch in the second, extends his hitting streak to 18 games, makes a super throw in the ninth to save the game, and then scores the winner in the bottom of the ninth. Hey, I've been saying it since June of last year, Melky Cabrera is a player maker – and it’s great to have him on this team.

Wilson Betemit’s homer was a big part of this game too. Since he’s arrived, Betemit has been haunting me. His face, and somewhat his body-frame, remind me of someone. It’s mostly the face. But, I can’t place it. I want to say that it’s a former Yankee – but, I’m not sure. For a while, I thought it was the former pitcher Ken Hill – but, I’ve moved off that quickly. For a split second, I thought maybe it was Bam Bam Meulens – however, honestly, I know that I’m just guessing there.

Does Wilson Betemit remind you, facially, and maybe more, of another player? Am I the only one that feels like he looks like someone else?

In any event, good times, these days, in Yankeeland. If this was May 2007, the Yankees lose this game. Nice to see the team so pumped when Jeter got the walk-off FC. Let the good times roll – and keep on rollin’.

Comments on August 13th vs. The Orioles

1. Nick from Washington Heights
      August 13th, 2007 | 11:26 pm

Betemit reminds me a bit of Edgar Renteria in the face–He looks to me like a slightly chubbier version of Renteria (again, face-wise). In terms of his game, specifically his swing, is it Daryl Boston I’m seeing up there?

2. Pete
      August 13th, 2007 | 11:27 pm

Little Tony Gwynn, perhaps?

3. Garcia
      August 13th, 2007 | 11:27 pm

~~~If this was May 2007, the Yankees lose this game.~~~

True indeed.

Let’s go Yanks!!!!

4. JeremyM
      August 14th, 2007 | 12:00 am

You have to love the master strategist that is Mariano Rivera. He knows that tomorrow could possibly end up as a slugfest with the last bullpen standing winning, so he figured he’d at least make Baltimore use another reliever in the 9th tonight to take a little something out of them. The man is brilliant!

This is chess, not checkers….

Seriously, a very good win that looked bad after the first half inning. They obviously need to get at least 1 out of 2 here, and hopefully both (which will be very tough, obviously) as the pitching matchups will be tough against Detroit I think.

5. August 14th, 2007 | 12:17 am

re: Betemit

Possibly Mel Hall?

6. dan
      August 14th, 2007 | 12:43 am

i know! although not a baseball player….

its sad that my first post on this site ends up being a picture of Terry Crews

7. Corey
      August 14th, 2007 | 1:50 am

Mientkiewicz for the season had these splits

.226/.292/.379 in 124 AB w/ 4 homers 16 RBI

Phillips

.280/.321/.373 2 homers, 20 RBI

why is it that people are ready to throw minky out and not phillips?

8. Corey
      August 14th, 2007 | 1:51 am

phillips numbers come from 150 AB

9. Josh
      August 14th, 2007 | 2:58 am

Two Words: Joba. Melky.

10. Joel
      August 14th, 2007 | 6:53 am

Shows you what I know. On Sunday I’m calling for Villone to be DFA’d and then next day Joe uses him in a critical 7th inning situation.

11. Sherard
      August 14th, 2007 | 7:00 am

This is probably too obscure for a baseball comparison, but Betemit reminds me of Rodney Peete, for whatever it’s worth. I suppose it’s possible that’s who you are thinking of.

August 14th, 2007 | 7:23 am

why is it that people are ready to throw minky out and not phillips?
      ===============
      Given the numbers you posted, you answered your own question.

Makes you see how stupid the minky signing was

13. Santino53
      August 14th, 2007 | 8:30 am

Well, the Yankees officially told the world it intends to keep Alex in the fold. From the entire
      senior front office on the field to the Captain
      presenting some love from the Boss, all stops were pulled. Why does CynthRod always look like she is in a hostage tape though?

14. Garcia
      August 14th, 2007 | 8:37 am

Santino53, She always looks like she swallowed a very bitter lemon.

15. Nick from Washington Heights
      August 14th, 2007 | 8:50 am

Sherard, I see Peete as well. Nice call! I’m not sure what I was talking about with my Renetria/Boston comp.

16. MJ
      August 14th, 2007 | 9:20 am

Hey, I’ve been saying it since June of last year, Melky Cabrera is a player maker – and it’s great to have him on this team.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is why sometimes statistical arguments are so infuriating. Based on a thread last week, Melky was at -4 in RCAA. That would mean that he’s hurting the team. Then I watch last night’s game, see him getting a couple of hits, making some plays in the field and wonder how stats can quantify what he’s meant to the team since the All-Star Break. How is he -4 when he’s playing great right now…

I accept the usefulness of stats, but they can’t be the end-all be-all all the time.

17. Santino53
      August 14th, 2007 | 9:23 am

Garcia..perfect visual.

18. elwudnjake
      August 14th, 2007 | 9:29 am

Raul Mondesi?

Raul Mondesi and Carlos Delgado having a baby?

19. Wood
      August 14th, 2007 | 9:32 am

The answer is Raul Mondesi.

20. August 14th, 2007 | 9:47 am

i’m thinking Glenallen Hill.

there’s NO WAY DMint should ever see playing time on this team again (outside of an injury of course).

AP is a RHB which the team needs, and is about as good on D, and is hitting better.

last night was all about Melky, Joba and Betemit (and even Giambi who had a clutch hit). and how ugly was that ‘art’ they gave to Arod? if that’s me, it’s going straight into storage.

now if only the offense can jump out tonight bc Mo AND Joba are unavailable. who becomes the closer tonight? Vizcaino by default?

August 14th, 2007 | 9:50 am

==============
      FWIW, he’s @ 1 now. That reflects his current hot streak (I had mentioned his numbers were trending upwards)

Statistical arguments aren’t infuriating, it all depends on how you interpret the stats.

WRT “what he means,” you could be the nicest guy in the world, but if you’re not doing your job, you’ll find yourself out of one; the Yanks recently got rid of two “clubhouse guys” in Mike Myers and Miguel Cairo.

August 14th, 2007 | 9:54 am

==========
      It wasn’t ugly, it was fugly… But when it comes to art, there’s no accounting for taste

23. Jen
      August 14th, 2007 | 10:12 am

//and how ugly was that ‘art’ they gave to Arod?//

Whatever happened to Leroy Neiman? I seem to remember him doing a lot of the Yankee commemorative art. I still have my poster from when Rizzuto went into the Hall. Granted, he’s 80+ years old now, so maybe he doesn’t paint much anymore.

August 14th, 2007 | 11:00 am

According to wikipedia, Neiman’s still painting.

August 14th, 2007 | 11:11 am

holy cow, scooter’s gone

August 14th, 2007 | 11:13 am
    27. Jen
      August 14th, 2007 | 11:14 am

damn.

28. Jen
      August 14th, 2007 | 12:02 pm

If anyone wants to see get all teary-eyed at the Stadium tonight I have an extra ticket.