• August 15th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on August 15th, 2007 · Comments (8)

I spent the day down at Belmar today with the family. So, I missed this one.

Still, let’s see if I can tie all this together. A while back, A-Rod yells “Ha!” at the Blue Jays and Toronto gets ticked. They never forget it and go after Alex the next time the Yankees are in Toronto. Roger Clemens protects A-Rod and gets suspended. Last night was Rocket’s turn, which he had to miss, and the Yankees send scrubs to the mound and get pounded. New York loses – and loses a game in the standings when the Red Sox win a close one. Today, because the bullpen was shot from last night, the Yankees call up two pitchers. Those two pitchers, plus Phil Hughes, do a somewhat decent job at holding the Orioles to 3 runs – and only 2 earned – in nine innings. However, once again, the Yankees cannot hit a brand-name pitcher and they struggle to score runs in this game. Yet, here comes Shelly Duncan with a miracle in the bottom of the ninth to tie the score! Alas, then Mo Rivera, who’s now been shaky his last three times out, blows the game, hugely, in the tenth. Meanwhile, up in Boston, Daisuke Matsuzaka gets banged around and the Red Sox lose a close one.

Therefore, the Yankees, who were just 4 games out of first two days ago, are now 5 games out of first place, behind the Red Sox. And, had New York won these last two games, they would be just 3 games out of first place (instead of five games back).

Did I miss anything here?

Oh, yeah, that’s right, now the first place Detroit Tigers and Gary Sheffield come into town for four games with the Yanks (while the Red Sox have to host the Los Angeles Angels for four games in three days this weekend up in Boston).

Why do I think this race in the A.L. East is going to become a lot closer, or get blown further apart, over the next four days – rather than stay at five games between New York and Boston?

It’s just a gut feel, mind you. I just have this vibe that the next four games for both these teams in the A.L. East race are going to tell us something about the squads in New York and Boston. But, I have no idea what that something is now. We’ll have to wait and see, I suppose…

Comments on August 15th vs. The Orioles

1. JeremyM
      August 15th, 2007 | 9:42 pm

I didn’t see the game, unless gamecast counts, but that sounds about right, except holding them to 3 runs over 9 would rate as better than “somewhat decently” in my eyes:) Anyway, as I said, I didn’t see it, but I’m assuming Mariano didn’t get much time to warm up, which seems to hurt him a lot now. It’s almost like he’s going to have to be treated like Trevor Hoffman and forgo coming in for the 8th or coming in a somewhat unexpected spot. I could be overreacting and this just could be his now semi-annual rough spot, formerly the annual rough spot.

I know Phillips nearly had a big stop that would’ve saved 2 runs, but I almost feel like Duncan should get some starts at first. Phillips is hitting like Rico Bergman.

Anyway, this game may have been a big blow to the division chances, but in the wild card scheme, I don’t think it means too much as long as they play good ball from here on out.

2. baileywalk
      August 15th, 2007 | 11:27 pm

Betemit can’t hit right-handed. This is a fact. So of course Torre uses him against one of the toughest lefties in the league — and bats him second. Bravo. His three Ks weren’t a surprise. I’d rather Robbie face the lefty, even with his lousy numbers against him, than feed Betemit to the lions for no particular reason.

Seeing the way Edwar pitched — and he was brilliant again — really makes you sick about the way he was treated. That he was made to sit around for two weeks, get bombed, sent back down, and then not brought back up in favor of a piece of garbage like Jim Brower. It’s unbelievable how they screwed it up.

Phil was good again. His pitch count was out of control, though. The two-run “single” was a little groundball.

Anyway… it’s pretty irritating that the Sox actually drop one at home to the Rays and the Yankees end up losing a winnable game. We better hope the O’s don’t fully figure it out and get better, because the Yankees can’t hit their pitching.

3. August 15th, 2007 | 11:34 pm

The “first place Tigers” are a game worse than the Yankees, just FYI.

4. Joel
      August 15th, 2007 | 11:58 pm

Against an elite pticher you need your elite offensive lineup. Bedard has actually been tougher on righties than lefties this year. I know Joe wants to keep guys fresh, and I know it was a day game after a night game, but Damon, Giambi, Abreu and Cano all needed to be swinging against this guy. You just can’t hand a guy like Bedard three outs with Molina, Phillips, and Betemit (a career .643 OPS as a RH hitter).

The Yanks are not going to win a lot of 3-2 games. They just don’t have that kind of dominating starting pitching. They are going to have to bash their way into the playoffs with serviceable starting pitching–meaning 3-5 runs over 6 or so innings.

Next is Verlander. Joe should be telling Giambi to get his glove.

5. Corey
      August 16th, 2007 | 2:41 am

i was at the game today…
      —-

6. Corey
      August 16th, 2007 | 2:43 am

oh and im so happy to not have myers on the team anymore, what a relief

7. MJ
      August 16th, 2007 | 8:38 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hate Torre all you like but this was the work of the two-headed monster named Brorre (Brian Torre). What Jim Brower was doing in the big leagues the last 10 days is beyond me. His cup of coffee with the Yanks was on Cashman’s head.

As for the rest of the game, chalk it up to Mo simply not being invincible. It sucks to see a game get wasted like that but it happens to Mo 3-4 times a year. The real mystery, as someone else pointed out, is why Betemit was hitting 2nd when Cano never does, and why Torre was playing the “house money” lineup (as RLYW calls it) when the team was in a rubber match.

The Yanks have the pitching advantage in 2.5 of the 4 games. We’ve got Pettitte/Clemens on Friday and Saturday going against Robertson/Durbin. On paper, that’s an edge to us. Moose is going tonight against Verlander and Wang is going against Bonderman on Sunday (I’ll be there for that one). I say we win both Friday/Saturday and take one of the other two games. We’re doing 3/4 in this series; I’m feeling good about it.

8. antone
      August 16th, 2007 | 8:56 am

I was a little suprised at the lineup yesterday too. Don’t think Cano should be sitting right now the way he has been hitting.

I figured Abreu wouldn’t be in there because he is awful against Bedard, still I was shocked to see Joe actually put Shelly out there in right, which I thought was the right move and turned out to be that.

Almost like Joe made a few moves and just hoped one of them worked out.

Good to see Ramirez pitched well.