• August 22nd @ The Angels

Posted by on August 23rd, 2007 · Comments (10)

When you factor in:

1. The results of the two games before this one.
    2. The Yankees place in the standings.
    3. The calendar.
    4. The losses by Boston and Seattle prior to this game.

This contest was as close to “must win” for the Yankees as you can get during the regular season. And, Andy Pettitte came through for New York.

Pettitte did not allow the Angels to take a lead in this game, through six, and then threw a shutdown inning in the seventh after the Yankees took a 3-1 lead. You cannot ask for more than that from a pitcher.

Given Hughes’ learning curves, Mussina’s ups-and-downs, Clemens’ age, and Wang’s issues with pitching on the road, you have to think that Pettitte is the Yankees “Game 1 Starter” and ace for the post-season, no?

One beef on this game for me: Joba Chamberlain is your “Barney Fife Bullet” – meaning he has to stay in your pocket and only be used carefully – and you bring him into a game when you have a 7-1 lead in the eighth? Is the Yankees bullpen that bad that no one else can help get the last 6 outs of a game where you have a 6-run lead?

O.K., sure, I realize that there’s an off-day between this game and the Yankees next series. And, that factors into it. However, if there’s an overall innings limit that the Yankees are applying to Joba this year, it seems like a waste to have him pitch an inning in a situation like this one, no?

Lastly, congrats to Joe Torre – for getting sole possession of second place on the franchise win chart behind Joe McCarthy. That’s pretty impressive. It makes me wonder if Joe wants to keep his job through 2010 to try and get the all-time record. Given his pay-rate, and the perks of being the Yankees manager, I can’t imagine why he would not want to stick around. If the Yankees don’t get a ring this year, it will be interesting to see what happens with Joe and his future plans.

Comments on August 22nd @ The Angels

1. antone
      August 23rd, 2007 | 8:36 am

My guess would be that the overall innings limit has been replaced by the “Joba Rules” and I don’t see anything wrong Joba pitching the 8th here since they have a day off today. It’s unrealistic at this point to have an innings limit because if they make the playoffs they don’t really know how many games they will play and how far they will go.

Petitte has been great lately, how many quality starts does he have this year compared to the league leaders?

I still think Torre would use Wang as the number 1 but honestly you have to think the Yankees will be fighting until the last day of the season to get into the playoffs, so it’s very possible they won’t be able to setup the rotation if they make the playoffs. You could see almost anyone pitch the first game.

This is definitely a big win, I’m not happy with taking 1 out of 3 from the Angels especially when they could have won the first game but I kind of expected them to only win one game so this series isn’t as devastating to me as it is to some other people.

2. Garcia
      August 23rd, 2007 | 8:52 am

Man, I’m getting old….I think I watched a total of 5 innings during this Angel series. Having to be at work extra early (project demands) really sucks – it’s getting in the way of me enjoying my Yankee games.

Nice recap. Glad they won and it was great to read so much good stuff about Joba today and yes I think he should have pitched.

Question, is it suppose to be “the Joba rules” or “JOBA RULES”? I like the latter.

3. christopher
      August 23rd, 2007 | 9:12 am

Joba was already warming up when the Yanks scored 4 in the top of the 8th. Once he’s warmed up, you pretty much have to commit to using him, right?

I agree about Pettitte being the number 1 starter. A lot can happen between now and the post-season, but I think it’s Pettitte’s job to lose at this point.

4. bfriley76
      August 23rd, 2007 | 9:54 am

To repeat what Christoper said, I’m pretty sure he pitched because he had already warmed up before the Yanks scored the extra 4 runs. The adult part of me thinks it’s too bad we had to waste him, but the kid part of me thought that the strikeout of Vlad was just AWESOME, regardless of the score.

5. August 23rd, 2007 | 9:59 am

I can see the point about him already having been warmed up. OK, then, why not let him pitch two innings, and save Mo? If the answer is that you didn’t want to waste him further, then I suppose the answer to the warm up issue is that you could have sat him down there too, not to waste him more beyond the warm-up.

6. JeremyM
      August 23rd, 2007 | 10:11 am

Well, if he throws 2 innings, then you can’t use him until Saturday if you follow the JOBA RULES. Now, they can pick a spot where they need him in the Detroit series.

The issue I had was Rivera being used. Why is Farnsworth on the team if he can’t throw an inning in the blowout on Tuesday or apparently can’t throw with the Yanks up 8-1 in the 9th? But I’ve pretty much given up looking for logic in these things anymore, you have dead-armed Viz throwing down 18-9 and Mo mopping up a 8-1 game and there’s nothing we can do about it.

Joba is just ridiculous, my God.

August 23rd, 2007 | 10:44 am

Mo probably came in because he needed the work too; before last night he pitched on Monday.

8. dave
      August 23rd, 2007 | 10:54 am

Joba hadn’t pitched since Sunday and with the day off tomorrow, not pitching him would have not pitching for 5 days. By pitching him Wednesday, he is still fresh for Friday, but you don’t have to use him, maybe saving him for more important innings on Saturday… It just maintains a consistent schedule.

Under use can be as bad as overuse.

9. August 23rd, 2007 | 11:07 am

Using Joba last night was as close to a no-brainer as they come. The Yanks need him to get consistent work AND reach about 130 IP on the season. He hadn’t pitched since Sunday, and with today’s being an off-day, the Yanks don’t lose him for any games. Joba is, in other words, available for their very next game, and he was able to stay on a consistent track.

There’s very little – or in fact, no – reason to question or doubt that move.

10. August 25th, 2007 | 6:53 pm

Barney Fife bullet. I like that.