• August 24th @ The Tigers

Posted by on August 25th, 2007 · Comments (7)

GameOver332AM.jpg

The first pitch at 11:06 p.m. (because of a rain delay of 4 hours and 1 minute)? That’s just wrong.

Pin this terrible loss on Clemens and Henn – every other Yankees pitcher did their job in this game. Henn allowed three straight two-out hits to blow the game. Clemens allowed 4 huge extra-base hits in 6 innings of work…along with 3 walks…to allow 6 runs in 6 innings pitched.

The Yankees bats were good in the first half of the game – they scored 6 runs in the first 5 innings of the contest. I guess they were just sleepy by the time the sixth inning rolled along.

So, now the Yankees are 6 back, in the loss column, of Boston in the A.L. East – and New York is 4 games back, in the loss column, of Seattle in the Wildcard standings. The Yankees have 34 games left to play.

I think the Yankees have now found their theme song for 2007. It’s Dave Edmunds’ Slipping Away:

I can feel you slipping away from me.
    A little bit further now every day.
    I’m holding on, but I can’t believe
    This is how you want it to be.
    Oh, you’re slipping away.
    Oh, you’re slipping away.
    It feels like walking down a long, dark road.
    You never talk to me the way you did before.
    You ride through the city with your head held high.
    And all I can do is watch you go by.
    Oh, you’re slipping away.
    Oh, you’re slipping away.
    I’m gonna give it all I’ve got to give.
    I’ve got to hold on, see what tomorrow brings.
    You’re slipping away, but give me one more try.
    One more chance to wipe these tears from my eyes.
    You’re slipping away.
    Oh, you’re slipping away.

Comments on August 24th @ The Tigers

August 25th, 2007 | 9:31 am

I stuck around long enough to see Farns enter the game. I was kinda hoping to see Edwar go more than one inning.

Looks like the M’s think it’s 1995 again (Refuse to Lose).

With the M’s winning and Boston winning a doubleheader, this loss hurt.

2. JeremyM
      August 25th, 2007 | 9:41 am

Definitely not looking good. I think the blame can be spread all around for this one, it was a team effort to lose other than the bullpen efforts up until Henn. You had Melky getting thrown out at third with freaking A-Rod at the plate, you had the offense playing dead against a bunch of clowns, Clemens and his leadoff walks- it was bad. And why in the hell is Giambi rotting on the bench while we put up with noodle-bat Damon? Come on. The Yanks really need an infusion of power right now.

And Sean Henn, this guy should’ve been shipped down after the Anaheim series, yet here is, blowing another game. I don’t mean to be mean, but did he cry coming off the mound again? He’s not a major league pitcher. But apparently, neither is Britton.

Oh well, what can you do?

3. baileywalk
      August 25th, 2007 | 4:34 pm

I don’t mean to be mean, but did he cry coming off the mound again?
      ——

Just curious — but what is this a reference to? I don’t recall Henn ever showing any kind of emotion. It was Edwar who was in tears after getting shelled by the Rays.

It really doesn’t make any sense why Henn is here over Britton. Or even Beam, who has been pitching better of late. If they’re desperate for a lefty, why not use Igawa out of the bullpen? (He’s got major control issues, but also strikeout ability; his best game was out of the bullpen.)

When Britton was up, he threw three innings in Chicago. In his final inning, he gave up a home run. I think most of us saw this as a great appearance by him, saving the ‘pen and looking terrific. But maybe that home run pissed Torre off and “showed” him something about Britton. What else could it be?

Henn started off strong and hasn’t been good since. Villone was nothing special until he “hurt his back” yesterday. Even minor-league filler Jim Brower got a shot in the ‘pen. Britton is continually overlooked.

To be fair to Henn, one of those “singles” was a check-swing bloop shot. But putting two games in his hands in one week when the team is desperate for wins is more or less giving away those games.

4. JeremyM
      August 25th, 2007 | 5:35 pm

I heard Henn came crying off the mound in Anaheim, maybe I heard wrong.

5. RICH
      August 25th, 2007 | 6:48 pm

baileywalk, I don’t understand your logic. Are you suggesting that Torre is keeping Britton off the roster? What’s that based on? If Torre has final say on the roster then why is Cairo gone? Torre seemed to like him a lot, as he did with Myers.

Do you think Britton’s not on the roster because of Torre even if Cashman wants him on the 25 man team? I know you detest Torre but how can you blame Torre for Britton not being on the team if it’s Cashman’s call?

It seems to me if Britton’s not on the team then at the least Cashman doesn’t want him if not Torre, too. Or there’s some other reason we’re not privy to.

6. baileywalk
      August 25th, 2007 | 7:05 pm

Cashman has final say, but you can’t tell me that Torre has no influence on who comes up. Anyway, I wasn’t saying Torre’s solely to blame. I was simply musing on what could be keeping Britton off the team, and thought maybe that home run he gave up had something to do with it.

Cashman seems willing to embrace youth. Torre, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to trust it. It wouldn’t shock me if Torre and Cashman had a give-and-take where Torre says “I’ll accept Ramirez back and I’ll take Joba, but I don’t want Britton — give me Brower.” This is just speculation. But what explanation is there for the promotion of guys like Ramirez and Chamberlain, but not Britton? It’s not like this team is currently shying away from young players. In fact, it’s loaded with them. So whose foot did Britton step on? It doesn’t make sense that it’s Cashman’s (I doubt Britton has been around him enough to annoy him). I just assume it’s Torre. Because logically there’s no reason for Britton to not be on this team right now (he’s putting up good numbers in AAA, he has a decent rookie year under his belt, and he can throw multiple innings).

7. baileywalk
      August 26th, 2007 | 12:50 pm

“The manager said he planned to speak with Henn, who has had two games end on this road trip while he has been on the mound. Henn is expecting the birth of his first child in the near future and has ‘a lot of things going on,’ Torre said… General manager Brian Cashman inquired about stocking the Yankees with another pitcher from the Minor Leagues, Torre said, but the early-morning telephone offer was rejected.”